Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The more I think about it, the more I think Shin Soo Choo might be the best guy for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samanjerry View Post
    John has made a lot of bad trades during his tenure.

Wren so far has done really really well in trades especially getting rid of old guys for good youngsters.
    Can't say as much for his FA signings but better than trading good pieces for crappy expensive people...

But I'm really sick of looking for LF every damn year. It's been a struggle for this team since forever. Do other teams struggle finding LF help?
    Or is it since it's a Offensive position and they just plug any decent hitter there so every other team is the same as the bravees?
    I think its simply more noticeable for us because he have had solid players at tough positions to fill like C, 2B CF and SS.

Last season we had the best defensive OF in baseball. So by filling CF, we could just as easily say we have a void at 3B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gobraves123 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think Shin Soo Choo might be the best guy for us.
    I'd be all for Choo as our leadoff man... especially if we resign Reed Johnson... Choo is pretty poor against lefties.

vCash
    I'm not sure. He's a Boras agent, seems to get injured ever other year.

He's a solid batter, fielder and would be much easier to get, but I'm not one that values Teheran as much as others, so I am more willing to trade-for a bigger name- him than others might be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    I'm not sure. He's a Boras agent, seems to get injured ever other year.

He's a solid batter, fielder and would be much easier to get, but I'm not one that values Teheran as much as others, so I am more willing to trade-for a bigger name- him than others might be.
    Yeah all really good points, not being able to resign him next year due to Boras is a big issue IMO. But that OBP at the top of the lineup in front of Prado Heyward Freeman Upton etc.. would be nice.

vCash
    IIRC, DOB said Wren has gotten rid of every Boras client that was with the Braves except Bethancourt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    IIRC, DOB said Wren has gotten rid of every Boras client that was with the Braves except Bethancourt.
    I find that funny, and a very telling statement!

vCash
    What about Will Myers? Hes available

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robdizzle3 View Post
    Word on the street is that he would only be moved for an established higher end starting pitcher. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for Kris Medlen to even start conversations. However Will Myers is a potential beast! He would be the Ying to Freemans Yang for years to come.

vCash
    Reason he is not a fit.

1. Scott Boras is his agent
    2. Only one more season of control, free agent in 14'
    3. .199/.318/.286/.604 spilt vs lefties.

Not a match at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    I love this "unproven" title people place on these players. He has hit AA pitching. Every player is unproven until they prove themselves.
    I don't understand. Of course every player is unproven until they prove themselves. The Braves need someone in left field who is proven. Thus who has proved himself. And Evan Gattis hasn't. And is thus unproven. Your point was...?

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    I never said he had info on the Braves talking with the Dbacks, just that the Dbacks are trying to trade him. If you don't put words in my mouth you may find what I have to say as more accurate than if you keep implying that I am inferring things that I am not.
    I'm not putting words in your mouth, Mr. Ryback. You spoke the words yourself when you wrote in the title that the "Braves and Diamondbacks are in trade talks." Somewhere you inferred that or that is your personal opinion. That has never been reported. That's the only point I'm making. And thus the thread title is, indeed, misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Yea, I get the feeling FW gets something done at the meetings.
    I get the feeling he doesn't. Just my opinion. Definitely didn't look like any progress was made on day one, and I have a feeling their current efforts to make a trade instead of sign a free agent are going to end up falling short. I don't think they'll give up the pieces necessary to get Upton or Gordon, and it sounds like Willingham is staying put. I think you'll see them miss out on the various top-tier options and, unfortunately, be forced to move on to Plan Bs and Cs.

I wouldnt mind Ichiro being a Brave
    I would. Hasn't had an OPS over .700 since 2010, or over .800 since 2009. Not attractive to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Heard the Rockies want minor for Fowler. If thats the case, they can keep him.
    Agreed 100%. Braves wouldn't bite on that, and hopefully don't bite on trading much of anything for a Coors Field mirage like Fowler.

Quote Originally Posted by samanjerry View Post
    cant trade any of the Major league SPs now with hanson gone, they are a strength one year but you never know the next. gotta have back ups...
    I don't agree that Minor couldn't be traded. You'd still have Teheran and Delgado, plus Sean Gilmartin (who is about as ready as he's going to be) and Wren even mentioned Daniel Rodriguez (a top Mexican League starter that the Braves signed at the end of last year). Plus, you can always take a chance on a low-salary deal with someone like Rich Harden, Brandon Webb, or Javier Vazquez. Between all those options, someone would pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smoe View Post
    Well I do not know about you, but $75 million dollars should make BJ ``Happy``,``feel comfortable``, ``confident and effective..`` Further, if that kind of money does not make him feel brotherly love! It can buy a heck of a lot of plane tickets. You speak of potential here, and while I do like Justin Upton a lot... I simply do not so easily forget possible potential of those 4 -5 players top prospects you so easily disregard in this trade. As I can consider many ways this could be a ``bad deal``.
    It should, and I don't think B.J. is going to lack for happiness or comfort with his new deal. But no amount of money can buy the sort of at-home feeling that comes with seeing your brother every day, and again I emphasize that this isn't about uniting the brothers. That's a non-zero factor, but the real reason for acquiring Justin has less to do with B.J. and much more to do with the fact that there is no other available outfielder as good as Justin. I'm not "disregarding" the top prospects; I'm merely pointing out that the Braves don't have many prospects whose possible potential is that significant. You're just saying wholesale that trading prospects is bad without paying any attention to the specific prospects we're talking about, very few of whom are actual studs.

If you do not understand why over paying Towers ``matters``, then obviously this argument is pointless. While yes, there can be a win win situation here, but more importantly there more often then not...always a looser. So when you dismiss ``a lot of value`` I can completely see it affecting the teams overall competitiveness down the road. One that is closely tied to a budget.
    You're not "overpaying" Towers, nor are you ripping him off. You're giving him equal value. He has too many outfielders, and needs help in a variety of other areas. The Braves can help him in those other areas. Simple economics. There absolutely can be a win-win trade, where both teams get what they need. There is not always a "looser." I'm not "dismissing" a lot of value; I'm noting that the Braves getting a lot of value in addition to trading a lot of value. And realistically, the fact of the matter is that the package of players traded for Upton isn't going to impact the overall competitiveness down the road nearly as much as Upton's presence will.

I understand how prospect projection works, and while they may not all pan out. But, when they do, a teams whole budget can be effected. See Beachy, Venters, Medlen, Heyward, McCann, etc etc.
    For every Brandon Beachy, there are 10,000 non-drafted free agents that never make it out of A-ball. He's an absolute exception to the rule, and credit to the Braves for identifying him. But if you refuse to trade prospects thinking that every one is going to go Beachy on you, you'd never field a winning team as you wait for a train that ain't coming. As for top-notch prospects like McCann and Heyward, we're really not talking about more than one prospect of that caliber in this potential deal.

I am not sure what Braves team you are watching, but the Braves I know do not have a ``Window`` and have been competing for the playoffs for the past 22 years. They seem to like looking to the Present and Future and, as its always a time to win. So I 100% disagree with you on the value of prospects, as more and more teams are reluctant to give them up so freely. Prospects are a great way to build teams on a budget. While they Braves may need to let some of the future core go due to payroll requirements, the guys you may be so quick to trade away could be the replacements to those key players ...and part of the Braves new core. Further by trading them, and committing to another 40 million over the next 3 years you are causing this ``payroll crunch`` to come sooner. By simply choosing an alternate player... via a lessor type of trade or via free agency and the Braves can have a more sustainable pipeline of future talent for years.
    The Braves absolutely have a "window," at least as far as this current core is concerned, and the farm system--as much as you are trying to overrate the prospects--is pretty barren at this point and not prepared to offer much help. The game is different than the Braves we watched even ten years ago, when they could afford to splurge on free agents AND develop prospects. Being perennial contenders without ever having rebuilding periods is pretty much impossible for a mid-market team in today's game, and if you haven't noticed, playoff appearances have been pretty scarce since 2005 (and 2012 doesn't count in my book). You always shoot to win, but doing the whole "present and future" thing just isn't viable anymore. They need to accumulate prospects at some points, and then go for it when those prospects are ready. And with the last crop of prospects being ready now, it's time to go for it. The players I'm thinking of trading away aren't the type of prospects who anyone expects to automatically be long-term replacements, and again your unwillingness to distinguish between elite young talent and solid but marginal prospects is frustrating. As for the $40 million, that's going to get committed one way or another. I'm just advocating that we give up a couple players to commit it to Justin Upton instead of giving it to a mediocre free agent like Shane Victorino. There is no "alternate player" to Justin Upton, except perhaps Alex Gordon (who will cost just as much to acquire).

Of course Towers would abuse any name not on that list, and just as easy as you leave Beachy off that list, another player may be the gold they seek. Further it is not fair to leave a open list, and do so with the assumption of what pieces they may like.
    I don't understand what's unfair about that strategy. Obviously the Braves have inside insight about players they like more than others, so in reality it wouldn't be as simple as I made it seem. But as a fan, I'd be fine with any package which follows the rules I set out. And again, if you follow the "any prospect could be Brandon Beachy" logic, then there's no way you could ever make a trade. Sorry, but that's just not viable.

Most were so quick to dismiss Elvis Andrus, or Neftali Feliz and Matt Harrision in the trade for Texeria. Everybody saw Salty as the only give away. It was said by many ``If the Braves didn't make that trade during that window, the team wouldn't ever compete``. I see those pieces that could have allowed the team TO compete.
    The Mark Teixeira trade swapped five prospects for a year and a half of Teixeira. This trade would bring three years of Upton. And also, let's not forget that when the Braves traded for Tex, their #4 and #5 starters were Buddy Carlyle and Jo-Jo Reyes, so it's not like Teixeira was the final piece to put them over the hump. Upton is. I bet that if that 2007 team had had the current starting rotation, and Tex had had three years of control remaining...then no one would be complaining about that trade at all. This is a totally, completely different situation.

While Upton may indeed be the top end player out there at the moment, it doesn't mean a player couldn't fit the role and allow for a bench to be built in other ways.
    Have asked you once and I'll ask again, who? You want to spend $10 million per year on Shane Victorino? Be my guest. I'll take a player who actually can post an OPS over .800.

For the record it is the 38.5 million dollars AND 4 -5 top Players and Prospects!
    No, it's $38.5 million AND one top player/prospect and three decent prospects. The Braves don't have any "top prospects" anymore. They've all graduated. Just because you're #1 in the Braves' system doesn't mean you're good compared to the overall prospect universe.

No, he's not.

vCash
    Word on the street is that he would only be moved for an established higher end starting pitcher. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for Kris Medlen to even start conversations. However Will Myers is a potential beast! He would be the Ying to Freemans Yang for years to come.
    Wow.. Nahhh.. Id keep Kris, but damn will he mash.. If they want prospects id jump, but im hooked on the Meds

vCash
    Just saw on ESPN Winter Meetings special that the Royals are telling teams hes available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Reason he is not a fit.

1. Scott Boras is his agent
    2. Only one more season of control, free agent in 14'
    3. .199/.318/.286/.604 spilt vs lefties.

Not a match at all.
    1) You'd only be dealing with Boras for one year.
    2) So the Braves get his salary back and can go shopping again next year, unless Gattis keeps hitting and earns the job.
    3) That's what Reed Johnson is for.

Not saying Choo is an ideal fit, but I'd hardly write him off.

vCash
    Just saw on ESPN Winter Meetings special that the Royals are telling teams hes available.
    Those "specials" are typically full of old news and bad reporting, to begin with. The print/Internet media are much better, and any Myers rumors have surrounded the Royals' need for a top-end, ready-now starting pitcher. The Braves don't have one of those, unless you're prepared to move Kris Medlen (which the Braves are not). The Royals would be foolish to trade Myers, and from everything the KC media has been saying, they know that.

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast