Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is 2013 team any better than 2012?

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I realize that it is still early in the off season. But is the 2013 shaping up to be any bette than the 2012 team? I agree that bringing back Pettite, Kuroda, and Rivera were big but the Yankees are just essentialy bringing back the 2012 team. We are now without a C and RF. Lets assume Ichiro comes back. And no matter what you say about Martin, he is a beter option than anyone else on the team right now. So with that being said, are the 2013 Yankees going to be any better?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombers88 View Post
    Before anyone jumps down my throat, I realize that it is still early in the off season. But is the 2013 shaping up to be any bette than the 2012 team? I agree that bringing back Pettite, Kuroda, and Rivera were big but the Yankees are just essentialy bringing back the 2012 team. We are now without a C and RF. Lets assume Ichiro comes back. And no matter what you say about Martin, he is a beter option than anyone else on the team right now. So with that being said, are the 2013 Yankees going to be any better?
    A lot of it hinges on if we can get consistent production out of A-Rod and Tex in the middle of the order. Didn't get too much of it last season, especially from A-Rod.

vCash
    Yes. As it stands right now, we are probably in a bit worse shape than we were going into the 2012 campaign, or at the least, about even (considering we'll have Andy to start the year for us). We're one year older, and we've lost a couple of key position players.

HOWEVER, as others have noted on here in various threads, I expect Cashman to make a deal before Spring Training or sometime early on in the year. He'll figure out a way or two to upgrade, while staying within the team's budget constraints.

vCash
    technically on paper we are worse however i would disagree i think addition by subtraction. If we can replace the people that left than we should be fine. But by no means is the sky falling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTK9lvkCQg

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    Great chance that we are worse, even if we can get somewhat fill the holes left by Swisher and Martin.

There just isn't a lot of players that are likely to improve. Tex and ARod have been declining long enough where we can probably guess what they will do next year, and its not two middle of the order hitters. Obviously, there is a chance one or both bounce back to have a great year, but its not likely.

We need Cano to have a career year and we need Granderson to put up a 2011 type year.

This is all assuming the most likely moves obviously - Ichiro/Hairston/etc.. in RF, Cervelli/Romine/Stewart/Random Vet at C. If they somehow make a trade for a big bat then obviously we could be better than last year.

And while Pettitte and Kuroda were great last year, and I think they'll still be good this year you never know when they could fall off given their ages.

vCash
    lets make a trade with the nationals for michael morse to play rf

vCash
    I think we're only slightly worse if at all. Swisher will be a major loss for his regular season production. I don't think Ichiro can replace that in any way. Maybe he will score more runs in this lineup. Swisher won't be missed at all when it's important in the playoffs though. In fact, I think we're better off with Gardner, Granderson, Ichiro. Ichiro is a better fielder than Swish and he is far better in the playoffs.

Next the catcher. I think people forget that Martin was an automatic out for most of the season. It's easy to be deceived by his homerun totals, but he was awful. He picked it up towards the end of the season, but then in the playoffs it was back to his old self. I think it's time to move on from him. He's a solid catcher but he's a rally killer. At this point I think there are a lot of catchers out there, and possibly in our own organization, who will have a better season than Martin did last year if given the chance. Not only that, but they can do it for much cheaper than Martin will cost this and next season.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    i think we are in for a long year.we will be good but alot of old and declining players in our line up

vCash
    i think we are worse as of right now
    New York Yankees
    Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
    Detroit Lions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombers88 View Post

Still a little early but as of now? Hell No!

We have a CF who has no discipline at the plate.
    We have a SS who has gained 25 lbs and looks really out of shape
    We have a 2 Old starters and a very old Closer coming off a knee injury
    We have an ace who just had his elbow cleaned out
    We have 2 yo yo's in the rotation with Hughes and Nova
    We have a pull happy 1st basemen whose average and OBA are sinking
    We have a z3rd basemen who can't hit righties anymore
    We have no starting catcher
    We have no starting RFer
    We have a LF who can't stay healthy

Basically talking in jest but if the old crusty vets do not replicate their 2012 numbers the Bombers will stink up the joint....not worried about Cano and..........................
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Still a little early but as of now? Hell No!

We have a CF who has no discipline at the plate.
    We have a SS who has gained 25 lbs and looks really out of shape
    We have a 2 Old starters and a very old Closer coming off a knee injury
    We have an ace who just had his elbow cleaned out
    We have 2 yo yo's in the rotation with Hughes and Nova
    We have a pull happy 1st basemen whose average and OBA are sinking
    We have a z3rd basemen who can't hit righties anymore
    We have no starting catcher
    We have no starting RFer
    We have a LF who can't stay healthy

Basically talking in jest but if the old crusty vets do not replicate their 2012 numbers the Bombers will stink up the joint....not worried about Cano and..........................
    1. Gardner is going into CF this year sliding granderson to left(I move I like a lot, I wanted this last year but Gardner got injured) Well at least that's the yankees plans.

2. I would hardly say he can't stay healthy. He missed all of last year but before that he played 159 games in 2011 and 150 in 2010. First full two seasons in the majors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    1. Gardner is going into CF this year sliding granderson to left(I move I like a lot, I wanted this last year but Gardner got injured) Well at least that's the yankees plans.

2. I would hardly say he can't stay healthy. He missed all of last year but before that he played 159 games in 2011 and 150 in 2010. First full two seasons in the majors.
    I was talking in jest....love Gardy!

Grandy still has great coverage in CF, but he cannot figure out the flight of the ball coming off of the bat and his speed defuses his mistakes. I like that possibility though......
    Nick

vCash
    We will sign Josh and trade Grandy.

Mark it down.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Swisher will not be on the team. Instantly better.

vCash
    A-Roid to the rescue . .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast