Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

NYC Police Officer gives barefoot homeless man boots

A photo of a New York City police officer kneeling down to give a barefoot homeless man in Times Square a pair of boots on a cold November night is melting even the iciest New Yorkers' hearts online.

On Nov. 14, NYPD officer Lawrence DePrimo, who was on counterterrorism duty in Times Square, saw the older homeless man without shoes sitting on 42nd Street. DePrimo, 25, left and then returned with a pair of $100 boots he bought at a nearby Skechers store.

"It was freezing out, and you could see the blisters on the man's feet," DePrimo, a three-year veteran of the department who lives with his parents on Long Island, told the New York Times. "I had two pairs of socks, and I was still cold."

The random act of kindness was captured by Jennifer Foster, a tourist from Florence, Ariz., who was visiting the city. Foster, communications director for the Pinal County Sheriff's Office in Arizona, emailed the photo to the NYPD with a note commending DePrimo.

"The officer said, 'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you,'" Foster wrote. "The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man.

"I have been in law enforcement for 17 years," she continued. "I was never so impressed in my life. ... It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost."

Foster's photo was posted on the NYPD's Facebook page on Tuesday, where it received more than 320,000 "likes," 77,000 "shares" and 20,000 comments—most of them praising DePrimo, who seems to have restored Facebook's faith in humanity.

"This is one hell of a police officer," Desiree Wright-Borden wrote.

"Wow," Jack Horton wrote. "It's nice to know there are still good people out there."

"Angels truly do walk on earth!!!" Charlene Hoffman-Pestell wrote.
    Some commenters, though, were skeptical, saying the photo could have been staged.

"Clever stunt!" Louis Zehmke wrote. "The hobo is 'parked' at the entrance of a shoe shop."

But Foster claims DePrimo had no idea he was being photographed: "The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching."
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...145219581.html

Police officers are always in the news when there's controversy about something they did. So I thought why not show a good deed for once?

2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series Champions

2. 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM
    Reason
    Off Topic

vCash
    Awesome story.

4. 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
    Reason
    Off Topic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Doesn't make up for the majority of cops being terrible.
    Are majority of cops terrible?

vCash
    Good deed by him..I guess there are cops out there that actually DO help people..

vCash
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    Saw the photo of it on Facebook, really cool story.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    "Majority"? I don't think so.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 11-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.

2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    Are majority of cops terrible?
    They are mad out to be by society

vCash
    Great to see a story like this in the news, good job by the officer...

12. 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM
    Reason
    Trolling

vCash
    Cool picture/story.

Sobering to be reminded how rare of a thing this is and how much praise it thus receives. If only things like this were a bit more instinctual for more people in our society.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Props to the cop

vCash

NYC Police Officer gives barefoot homeless man boots

This dude is from my hometown. My sister knows him a really chill guy actually. Props to Larry!

vCash
    Awesome story. Sad thing Im sure many cops do things like this yet the news will never report it. But most people who do good dont go telling everyone which one reason why(not saying that what this officer did).

vCash
    As much I say **** cops, this would be the only one I won't say it. Good deed by this guy

vCash
    cool story
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast