Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    Two questions/statements

1) The money argument that people keep dropping here and on Twitter is overblown. Thinking Walden has more value than Hanson is one thing, but justifying a downgrade in talent because you save 4 million dollars is a little much. *Not saying that's what you're doing, but it has that implication*

2) Do you not think Hanson could be as useful as Walden if he was made a RP? Even declining, I think he could easily.
    Hanson's shoulder is a bigger issue than people seem to think I guess. If the money we save allows us to get J Upton or Swisher, it's definitely worth it. You just have to trust me on this one, Hanson is pretty much done. I'm happy for him because he doesn't have to hit anymore because I'm a better hitter than he is. Can't hold runners(worst in baseball) and these things aren't factored into his value.

I might be rambling idk, I don't have a computer so I'm on my phone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves14 View Post
    Confines would make it a pitcher's park, but the weather steers it more towards being a hitter's park(ball travels farther in warmer weather), so yeah, it's neutral but more to the pitcher's side.
    Angels play in more of a pitchers park, the sea air really does kill the ball quite a bit. It tends to be a top 10 pitchers park in all of baseball basically every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    Hanson's shoulder is a bigger issue than people seem to think I guess. If the money we save allows us to get J Upton or Swisher, it's definitely worth it. You just have to trust me on this one, Hanson is pretty much done. I'm happy for him because he doesn't have to hit anymore because I'm a better hitter than he is. Can't hold runners(worst in baseball) and these things aren't factored into his value.

I might be rambling idk, I don't have a computer so I'm on my phone
    First off, re: bold, Ted Lilly.

And we'll see. Even if Hanson is teetering on the edge of blowing out his arm, I think he would have had more value than a 7th inning reliever.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like this deal for the Braves. I like Walden and I think he will always be a good set-up guy, potentially a good closer and will have a long career.

Hanson I think will have issues with his shoulders. He had some great people working with him that helped Smoltz who originally had the same delivery style that Hanson does until they fixed it. Hanson doesn't seem to want to change (or can't) that delivery to make it functional, which leads me to wonder what kind of career as a starter he will have.

I would rather have Walden than Hanson I believe, even with Hanson being a starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl Bill View Post
    knowing the braves, this doesn't mean we are going after another free agent hard or anything. hanson could have gotten us a decent bat, but we choose a subpar relief pitcher who we could have brought up in our system. this moves makes no sense when we could have traded him to just about anyone.
    Dude, would you chill out? This was a great move! Hanson has been going downhill faster than Lindsay Lohan and Walden has Mega potential as a EOF replacement. We don't need EOF anymore, with Venters, Walden and Kimbrel. We have a chance to lose all Scott Bor*** clients, and we get a guy who the Angels don't need as they have another great closer, and this guy tops 98-100 on the gun. What is your problem???
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like this deal for the Braves. I like Walden and I think he will always be a good set-up guy, potentially a good closer and will have a long career.

Hanson I think will have issues with his shoulders. He had some great people working with him that helped Smoltz who originally had the same delivery style that Hanson does until they fixed it. Hanson doesn't seem to want to change (or can't) that delivery to make it functional, which leads me to wonder what kind of career as a starter he will have. He has also had back issues these past few seasons.

I would rather have Walden than Hanson I believe, even with Hanson being a starter.

Hanson's velocity has dropped from 92 when he was a rookie to 89 last season on his fastball. He has lost a bit on all of his pitches really, that shoulder is a very real issue.

Being I am a Braves fan of course I like this deal for us better but I think it is pretty even. Lopsided if Hanson's issues are fixed and he stays healthy.

vCash
    The braves get a bullpen arm while giving up a guy that made me want to kill my dog after every time he pitched. And they save about 4 million... Braves WIN.

vCash
    I think the Braves could have done better. Why not have made an offer for Gordon since the Royals are desperate for pitching?

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Solid trade I love it. Hanson was quickly on his way out and could not hold Hudson, medlen, or beachys jock strap lol. I'll take Paul for 1 more season with JT being our number 5. Let Paul or huddy walk next year and bring Delgado out! GREAT move by getting rid of the weakest link and angels get a solid solid number 4 or 5 guy with the potential to be a great 2 or 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    I think the Braves could have done better. Why not have made an offer for Gordon since the Royals are desperate for pitching?
    Obviously they are eyeballing Justin upton or we would have pulled the trigger on span when we had the chance lol. I do believe Gordon/sick prospect would be the back up plan though.

vCash

Angels and Braves Swap Hanson and Walden

Hanson has had some injuries the past couple of seasons, sounds like the Braves expect more of that going forward.

vCash
    I like the move for the Braves. Walden can be used well in a deep bullpen. Their rotation doesn't really suffer from this move either. Relievers are important. Especially in the NL. If this frees up some cash to get them a LF it greatly impoves their team.
    Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 11-30-2012 at 04:04 PM.

vCash
    Prepared to have the bases stolen on the regular

vCash
    Good move, will be a solid 3rd starter in the rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
    i like the move for the braves. Walden can be used well in a deep bullpen. Their rotation doesn't really suffer from this move either. Relievers are important. Especially in the nl. If this frees up some cash to get them a lf it greatly impoves their team.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast