Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Popavich should be fined for resting players

Pop should get fined for resting guys during heat/spurs game last night. It was a total slap in the face to the fans and the nba's integrity. Can't have teams doing this crap. what's to stop teams from doing this during the christmas day showcase games? It's not good for the nba or any league.

vCash
    We do it all the time so do others teams i dont see the problem and atleast spell his name right bud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Kawhi is nothing but a average player on a good system.

vCash
    Troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSpurs23 View Post
    Troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this too.

vCash
    I am sorry, I guess you mistook the Spurs page for the Heat page. Go there clown. That being said, Fans that went to that game most likely went to see Lebron, Wade, Bosh.

vCash
    You should be fined for your spelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
    this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
    lmfao

vCash
    I really don't see the point in posting on this thread but i will do so for the **** of it.

1st off, David stern is a clown and we all know that. Secondly, coach Pop has done this before, this isn't something new in sitting his starters. If he feels his players need the rest then by all means let them take the day off. It just so happened to be the night they played the Miami Heat. And I understand, it was nationally televised and on TNT. But at the end of the day, whats most important is for the players is to be healthy and ready come playoff time. Thats Pops philosohy.

And last, but certainly not least, DAVID STERN is once again, a CLOWN!

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    On Pop, rest and conspiracy theories
    By MatthewTynan

Gregg Popovich decides to send Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green home prior to tonight's game against the Heat. Is it just about rest or is he conspiring against the man? Get out your tinfoil hats, we're going in.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you it doesn't bother me, because it does.

I would love to see a full-steam Spurs take on the Heat freight train on national television, but we're not going to get to see it because of a move it seems only Gregg Popovich can get away with. And it's understandable, to some parties at least. The Miami freakazoid-athlete-machine will be playing its third game in nine days while San Antonio will be on its sixth in that time, and we all know the value Pop places on rest. Yes, it's just November. If you ask him, he'd say it's about the cumulative wear and tear.

It seems far-fetched to argue that sitting Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Green tonight - on top of the already injured Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson - will help the Spurs once playoffs roll around. Fatigue now surely doesn't mean fatigue come April, May and June. But I don't think you need to be a doctor to know that fatigue increases the risk of injury. (Does anyone need attribution on that? Because I know a few physicians.) It's easy to get up on your high horse and yell about how unfair it is to TNT and its ratings (I promise Ted Turner will sleep wonderfully tonight, regardless of the Nielsen overnight numbers) or complain about the fans not getting what they pay for (though the buyer should have already been wary), and it's even worse to complain as a member of the media that Pop is ruining your evening. Do what you're paid to do.

But the media will complain, and this issue is hardly a new one. Writers and talking heads will whine about the disrespect and the irreverence, the stubbornness and the petulance. It's just as expected as the perennial Pop decision to sit the Big 3 on a random second night of a back-to-back. But who's really the one that's being petulant? Is it the guy who, as the leader of an organization, has every right to do what he feels is best for his employees to provide better opportunity for success moving forward? To look out for his most seasoned and valued entities as a sign of precaution and even respect? Or is it the guy who doesn't get to watch the game he wanted to see tonight. Hey, I wanted to watch it, too. And I still will. Even though it just might end up like a well-reviewed film that ends up being a stinker.

Yes, this is a sport and it's about entertainment, but the Spurs aren't some publicly funded company in which every stockholder has a say. You choose to be entertained. You choose to pay for their services. You buy their tickets because you want to, not because they're forced upon you. While there's certainly significant appreciation for what the fans mean to this organization, the Spurs and Gregg Popovich don't owe anyone a candy bar. Still, you can have your opinion. Just know it doesn't matter if you're the one who doesn't get it.

The other bit of conspiracy theorist garbage that continues to be tossed around the proverbial opinion desk is that Pop is doing this as a giant middle finger to David Stern and the NBA for giving San Antonio a brutal schedule which already has them on their second road trip of six days or more, this one being nine days long. So, as I understand it, Gregg Popovich is willing to sabotage his team's success to get back at Stern, who apparently has PURPOSEFULLY given San Antonio a schedule he felt would be difficult to handle, thus setting the Spurs up for failure on a national stage against the defending champions. Right. And Craig Sager's suit will be simple muted earth tones tonight.

And it's not about whether Popovich cares about you, or whether he respects what's 'fair.' The fact is, this has always been about one thing: Pop looking out for his team's welfare. It's been a long road trip and San Antonio has to play Memphis (one of the league's best teams) on Saturday. Pop would have made this decision regardless of which opponent was on the schedule, or which television company was carrying the game. That's not what this is about and it never has been. If it was evident that Popovich was out for revenge, or if it was obvious that he was only trying to make a point, then yes, calling Popovich petulant might be fair.

Very simply, Popovich has stated many times that these decisions are based on being cautious about the health of his most valuable resources. It's his company, his organization, and he can do what he wants. It's one thing if Peter Holt calls him out for it (or if David Stern threatens 'substantial sanctions,' which he has), but otherwise it matters little. All Pop wants is an extra day of rest for Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili (oh, and Danny Green too, that's weird). Still, I doubt Popovich minds raising his middle finger on the way out the door.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/...iracy-theories

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-7hgAwKj37c

^ I thought this was hilarious by the way. Didn't get a chance to see the Orlando and Maimi games. Was out of town. So just catching up on some stuff. Check it out...

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Were Pop's Actions Justified?
    Written by Jose Grijalva

Gregg Popovich has done this before, but this time it got the attention of the media and more importantly the commissioner of the NBA. Coach Pop sent the San Antonio Spurs' Big 3 stars in Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Tim Duncan home along with starting guard/forward Danny Green before the Spurs faced the Miami Heat on their homecourt. There's been some praise for this move and also complaints. Spurs fans agree with their coach, he was sending his players home to rest after two sets of back to backs. The other side disagrees because they say the fans lost out on this and they're the reason why the team's are as successful as they are.

I fully agree with the decision Coach Pop made for this game. His team has endured a long away schedule so far and has to keep the best interest of his owner and of his team first. This was No. 11 in San Antonio's road game while it was Miami's 14th overall game in the season. This had to be one of the main reasons why Danny Green sat out as he's clearly been fatigued during the most recent games,e specially since he's had to score and was burdened with Kawhi Leonard's job of defending the other team's best player. Also keep in mind from the picture shown in this article that it's been the Spurs' 6th road game in nine days while the Heat have been off since Saturday.

It's not just that they were road games but also factor in where the games were. The Spurs traveled to Toronto then to Washington then to Orlando and finally to Miami. While the final two games were in the same state, it's still not an easy schedule for a team that's been short handed with injuries to their only true small forwards. The Spurs were burdened with four games in a week while the Heat played five games in two weeks. That's a lot of wear and tear for an older team. It's true the Heat have their own health problems, but they've needed their Big 3 to play to win. As we saw during the game, the Spurs are deep enough to give any team trouble and the bench gave Miami a run for their money. This game was probably better and more competitive than if the rested players actually played! That's my defense for the Pop decision.

What if Pop was wrong? Is he actually in the wrong for making the decision? If you see the comparisons of schedules between the two games, why is Pop the one to be blamed? The man was looking out for the well being of his team. A lot of NBA writers and bloggers have said that he's wrong because the fans were disappointed and robbed of an experience. They say that it's the fans that make the team and league what it is. I'll agree with that...to an extent. The NBA fans do provide and fund the league and they also make it what it is. The question to that is: what fans did Popovich rob? Was it Spurs fans who didn't have their favorites play? No.

In fact (even if they disagree with it), they understand why he did it. They understand that the team is looking forward to the playoffs, not to the regular season. You get to the playoffs and have a chance for a title if players have enough juice to keep playing at a high level. Pop didn't rob Spurs fans, but Heat fans. Does Pop owe Heat fans anything? No he doesn't. He doesn't try to win or coach the team the Heat fans cheer for (or any other team for that matter). To say Pop robbed the fans that have built his team isn't correct. If there's anyone to blame in this overblown controversy, it's the league and commissioner who now suddenly cares about the fans. The NBA makes the schedule and the league knew the Spurs were going on a ridiculous road schedule that ended in a nationally televised game. They also knew Pop's tendencies, even if they didn't think he'd actually do them.

Where was this concern by Stern when the lockout was happening? Why didn't he speak up about the congested schedule that made the games unattractive to watch fans? If he truly cared about the fans, why doesn't he speak out against high ticket prices when the league makes billions and billions in revenue?

The only reason Stern is upset is because Pop embarrassed him and exposed the disadvantage his team had. Stern is all about money, we know that from the lockout fiasco. Pop was justified by his actions. The only reason Stern is upset is because someone one upped him at his own game. The defending NBA champions and the MVP of the league playing against a tired squad with an old core? That would've been an interesting debate on networks and on the internet. If the Big 3 actually played for the Spurs, the Heat would've probably won by a large margin since they've left it all on the court during this road trip, but Pop knew better. In fact, Pop won this game because his second and third stringers gave the champs a scare and gained confidence from this game while the defending champs barely escaped while having their best players play way too many minutes (Lebron James: 39 minutes, Dwayne Wade: 32 minutes, Chris Bosh: 36 minutes).

Even if the Spurs get fined and his team lost, Pop gained a lot more with this gain than the Spurs will lose in any punishment by the league by showing what the league expected his team to go through unfairly.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-art...justified.html

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html

I don't think I've read an article by a national writer yet that hasn't criticized David Stern about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    LOL 250k Appeal here we come

vCash

i am disappointed in david stern bur not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by LOOTERX9 View Post
    Pop should get fined for resting guys during heat/spurs game last night. It was a total slap in the face to the fans and the nba's integrity. Can't have teams doing this crap. what's to stop teams from doing this during the christmas day showcase games? It's not good for the nba or any league.
    Come on bud lets be real here how many other teams are going to think it is a good idea to rest there best players. No other owners or coaches would have the balls or capability to do besides maybe doc rivers. They almost won the game thats how deep the spurs are they can afford to rest there best players and still almost pull off a win thats the crazy thing to me.

The commissioner should expect this response after approving this ridiculous schedule. Pop has done this kind of thing before and it pays off. You cant blame the guy for looking after his players. All the teams do it at the end of season too. Are teams going to get fined the end of the season too probably not. This wrong its hypocritical and stupid. when you purchase an NBA ticket you take a risk that your favorite players may play or not. The players could get injured or suspended at any point and time. Pop did what he thought was best and to fine the organization for it is just wrong in my eyes. Yes I understand if your a fan and you wanted to see the best players but thats the risk you take when you buy these tickets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast