Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Obama to welcome Romney for Thursday lunch - reporters are not welcome

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/o...-politics.html

President Barack Obama will welcome Republican Mitt Romney to the White House on Thursday for a private lunch—reporters are not welcome.

"There will be no press coverage of the meeting," the White House said in its announcement that the former rivals would hold their first postelection talks.

Obama soundly defeated Romney after a hard-fought, often bitter campaign that offered contrasting visions of taxes, spending and the role of government in boosting the economy. While polls throughout the campaign suggested a close race, Obama ultimately carried 332 electoral votes, far more than the 270 needed for re-election. The former Massachusetts governor won 206 electoral votes.

Obama had said in his election night victory speech that he aimed to sit down with Romney "in the weeks ahead" for a conversation "about where we can work together to move this country forward."

At a Nov. 14 press conference, Obama said he had not yet scheduled a meeting because "everybody needs to catch their breath" after the election.

But "there are certain aspects of Gov. Romney's record and his ideas that I think could be very helpful," the president told reporters.

Like what? "Well, to give you one example, I do think he did a terrific job running the Olympics," Obama replied. "And that skill set of trying to figure out how do we make something work better applies to the federal government.

"There are a lot of ideas that I don't think are partisan ideas but are just smart ideas about how can we make the federal government more customer-friendly, how can we make sure that we're consolidating programs that are duplicative, how can we eliminate additional waste," the president went on.

"He presented some ideas during the course of the campaign that I actually agree with. So it would be interesting to talk to him about something like that. There may be ideas that he has with respect to jobs and growth that can help middle-class families that I want to hear.

"So I'm not either prejudging what he's interested in doing, nor am I suggesting I've got some specific assignment. But what I want to do is to get ideas from him and see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together," Obama said.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    Unlike John McCain after 2008, isn't Romney basically irrelevant now? Who cares what he thinks? He holds no elected office, has never held a national elected office, and never will hold one.

vCash
    Not a bad idea, he wants to talk with the guy who he thought had some solid ideas. I mean I hope it isn't really because he ran the Olympics.....dude you've been running the country for the last four years......who gives a flying f what Romney did running the Olympics?
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Unlike John McCain after 2008, isn't Romney basically irrelevant now? Who cares what he thinks? He holds no elected office, has never held a national elected office, and never will hold one.
    maybe that's what Obama wants to talk to him. cause he sees things differently than people who's been in "the establishment" for too long.
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    I think it's good. I mean yes he loss but what 48% or so voted for him. Country is divided smart smart move on Obama. Never know what you'll learn or what will reinforce your own ideas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I think it's good. I mean yes he loss but what 48% or so voted for him. Country is divided smart smart move on Obama. Never know what you'll learn or what will reinforce your own ideas.
    exactly. despite what HSR said a few posts above, the man was 3 million or so votes apart from obama in the popular vote, so clearly there are a bunch of people who are interested in his ideas.

it's never a bad thing to have differing opinions be heard... you never know where you might find common ground or a new perspective.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    exactly. despite what HSR said a few posts above, the man was 3 million or so votes apart from obama in the popular vote, so clearly there are a bunch of people who are interested in his ideas.

it's never a bad thing to have differing opinions be heard... you never know where you might find common ground or a new perspective.
    Exactly, and i'm not sure why it's a big enough deal of reporters aren't welcome to put it in the headline. they shouldn't be. It's a meeting of one CEO who almost became president with the head CEO in Obama, no reason to have reporters there slimeing up the place.

Also as I typed that it makes more sense now. Obama wanted to meet with CEO's about the fiscal cliff well this is just adding to that platform. Nothing bad can come out of this.

vCash
    Exactly, and i'm not sure why it's a big enough deal of reporters aren't welcome to put it in the headline. they shouldn't be. It's a meeting of one CEO who almost became president with the head CEO in Obama, no reason to have reporters there slimeing up the place.

Also as I typed that it makes more sense now. Obama wanted to meet with CEO's about the fiscal cliff well this is just adding to that platform. Nothing bad can come out of this.
    unless you're an eternal cynic who thinks this a dog and pony show...

but even then, nothing bad can come from even halfheartedly bringing in a guy with opposing ideas from your own.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    This is a nice move.

Since there will be no reporters, Fox will probably make a few cool assumptions:

Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are eloping!

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    unless you're an eternal cynic who thinks this a dog and pony show...

but even then, nothing bad can come from even halfheartedly bringing in a guy with opposing ideas from your own.
    I'm actually think it'd be more of a dog and pony and just for show if they had reporters.

Besides I don't think either side would waste their time doing it just to say they did it. Romney's got his hands full being rich and gutting companies, and Obama's got a tee time. No one has time for dog and pony show or even cat and liger show.

vCash
    I'm actually think it'd be more of a dog and pony and just for show if they had reporters.

Besides I don't think either side would waste their time doing it just to say they did it. Romney's got his hands full being rich and gutting companies, and Obama's got a tee time. No one has time for dog and pony show or even cat and liger show.
    yea Romney really gains nothing from this...other than eating lunch with the President? which i dont think he really cares about lol
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

vCash
    To me it's an goodwill gesture to Romney and the Republican party, as well as common sense considering to many people voted for his ideas(as was mentioned above). A positive thing, all-around.

I can only imagine how FOX News will spin this into a negative.

vCash
    Copy of Obama's agenda for the lunch discussion has been released: Agenda for Romney Meeting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    To me it's an goodwill gesture to Romney and the Republican party, as well as common sense considering to many people voted for his ideas(as was mentioned above). A positive thing, all-around.

I can only imagine how FOX News will spin this into a negative.
    Don't also forget about MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, NBC, CNBC, BBC, and Al Jazeera spinning it in a negative way as well, as in Romney has nothing to offer the half man, half god that is Obama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    Don't also forget about MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, NBC, CNBC, BBC, and Al Jazeera spinning it in a negative way as well, as in Romney has nothing to offer the half man, half god that is Obama.
    Half god.

He's clearly at least 2/3rds, and it's time you people realize this.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast