Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I consider any player that reaches the Majors to be a success story. If they were the best of the bunch - eh - but they aren't. And I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that both can improve.
    I don't share the same opinion, I guess we are at an impasse.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    The whole rebuilding process need to be readdressed now that Wright has been signed.

Trading Dickey or Niese for Gordon would not be a terrible idea now that Wright is signed long term. My main issue with Gordon was that it didn't make sense if we didn't trade Wright. Although I would still be reluctant to trade Niese for him. Maybe Dickey and Gee and bring back Pelf?

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash

David Wright and Mets agree to 7 year extension

And yet he left the team with guys like Mejia, Familia, Harvey, Flores, Tapia and quite many others that will be the big reason as why their farm will be ranked much higher. Not to mention the fact that he left Sandy other assets like a Beltran who he could use in a trade and a complex in DR that has and will continue to be one of the most productive things going for this Mets team going forward. Hell, even Mateo who was signed after Minaya left was a guy that was on the Mets radar, but could not be signed yet.

vCash
    Reports are saying that it's not a 7 year extension as much as a new 8 year deal probably reducing his 2013 salary opening up money for the outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    And yet he left the team with guys like Mejia, Familia, Harvey, Flores, Tapia and quite many others that will be the big reason as why their farm will be ranked much higher. Not to mention the fact that he left Sandy other assets like a Beltran who he could use in a trade and a complex in DR that has and will continue to be one of the most productive things going for this Mets team going forward. Hell, even Mateo who was signed after Minaya left was a guy that was on the Mets radar, but could not be signed yet.
    One thing Minaya did not do, was even with the handwriting on the wall, he did not sell off the minor league talent to save his job. He even held on to Fernando Martinez -- thinking long term.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan1963 View Post
    Reports are saying that it's not a 7 year extension as much as a new 8 year deal probably reducing his 2013 salary opening up money for the outfield.
    If true, it further shows a sincere commitment to the Mets and that DW buys into SA's plan. Now lets get some of the cynics on board. Would their opinions change if they had a sit down with SA?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Omar got fired for a few reasons. Mostly bad contracts and all of the teams talent in a lower level minors.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    One thing Minaya did not do, was even with the handwriting on the wall, he did not sell off the minor league talent to save his job. He even held on to Fernando Martinez -- thinking long term.
    I agree, he had chances to deal Mejia, Martinez, Parnell and Niese and did not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    These two players don't help your case, and when Omar left the farm was a bottom third system.
    Five+ years from now, we can add up the WAR values of all players in the Mets system when he left and compare them to other teams' to learn how it really rated -- if you think that is a fair way to measure productivity.

vCash
    With a 7 year 122 mil extension, he'll be paid about 138 over the enxt 8 year, 17.25 mil a year until he's 38.

Haters gonna hate but that's a GREAT deal for the Mets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    If true, it further shows a sincere commitment to the Mets and that DW buys into SA's plan. Now lets get some of the cynics on board. Would their opinions change if they had a sit down with SA?
    Yeah now they can re-sign Hairston so we can have the same team as last year

vCash

Well done Sandy Wilpons

Today is a time to cheer. We're not going to lose the best third baseman in team history. I believe Sandy and the Wilpons invested wisely. You build around guys like Wright. You don't use them as fish bait.

Tomorrow we can go back to wondering what other moves the team needs to make and worry about the long-term prognosis. But this thread should be celebrating number 5, a man of class and dignity whose worst character flaw may be that he just tries too hard.

Maybe with the new contract he'll relax more to better sustain those hot streaks like we saw in the first half of last season.

Tomorrow we can worry about all the things on this team that are wrong. Today we should celebrate about what is Wright.

Congrats Captain Wright. Well earned.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I agree, he had chances to deal Mejia, Martinez, Parnell and Niese and did not.
    Okay??

1st of all, Niese and Parnlla re still quite young and are turning into very solid pitchers.

2nd, why would we have traded Mejia or Martinez? Everything looks so damn clear in hindsight. When Mjia and Martinez were our top prospects, looking at potentially being star players for us in the future, why the hell would we trade them? Remember that beautiful time 2-3 or so years ago when every Mets fan was *****ing about how ****** our farm was and how we needed to restock and build up the system and stop trading away prospects? Yeah I remember too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Five+ years from now, we can add up the WAR values of all players in the Mets system when he left and compare them to other teams' to learn how it really rated -- if you think that is a fair way to measure productivity.
    When farm systems are rated, they are rated as a snapshot at that particular moment of time.

If you like Omar that's great, I think he did a great job spending money to build a team to be a winner. Problem with that philosophy is without a farm system it's hard to sustain that type of success.

Omar did not invest in the farm system, in spite of having millions to spend on the ball club.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast