Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

David Wright and Mets agree to 7 year extension

As per WFANs Ed Coleman a few minutes ago.

Good night.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Good. This means a lot. Not only does it mean that we have our star player locked in for the next 7 years, but a lot of the rumors going around were that it wasn't as much about the money for Wright, but also about the future of this team.

Wright didn't want to be stuck on a mediocre team for his entire career, and you have to believe that he had a conversation with Alderson asking for reassurance that the Mets are looking to really build a competitor in the next 3 years or so.

With that said, we can never be 100% sure, but this is definitely world ahead of what this COULD HAVE been... Just think of how bad the Reyes fiasco was last year, if Wright went to another team it would have been 10 times worse.

Good job by the Mets.
    Last edited by JeremyEye; 11-30-2012 at 02:40 AM.

vCash
    Yesssss! The Mets finally did something right.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Mazel tov!

A good beginning.

Now, let's us see if he wasn't bs'd by the Whimpons a la Jeffrey Loria with Buehrle and Reyes.

Again, thank goodness he was signed. Management made a sound decision here.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Great to hear!!!

The Mets did the right thing here regardless of the possible detractors.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-30-2012 at 03:41 AM.

vCash
    seems like a pretty team friendly deal considering what good players have been getting these days. we gave $119 to Beltran for 7 yrs in 2005..... i woulda thought Wright woulda gotten much more nowadays.

Very happy with this.

vCash
    I am not saying that signing Wright to an extension was not a positive thing, because it was, but if all the Mets do this winter is resign Wright and Dickey then we are no better off than we were in 2012.

Wright is a fine player but needs other very good players around him to be effective. Wright can not carry a team, he is not a super star. . The best that Wright was , was when we had Carlos Delgado and Carlos Beltran on the team. He is like the nursery rhyme about the girl with the curl on her head....when Wright is good he is excellent but when he isn't..he becomes at best just mediocre.

And please Sick don't come back at me telling me how I dislike Wright...I do not . I am happy that he got what he deserves and hope that the team can put other decent players around him.

vCash
    David Wright is the recipient of the largest contract in New York Mets history.

Wright has agreed to a new package that will keep him in a Mets uniform at least through 2020, a major league source told ESPNNewYork.com. The deal is worth slightly less than $140 million, the source added.

Wright had been under Mets' control for next season at $16 million. The new deal should lock in Wright for seven additional years at approximately $122 million.

The total package will surpass the six-year, $137.5 million deal Johan Santana agreed as a prerequisite of being traded to the Mets.

Wright, 30, is widely viewed as the face of the Mets' franchise, and often has expressed a desire to spend his entire career with the organization. He grew up in Norfolk, Va., admiring Cal Ripken Jr. for his lifelong service to the Baltimore Orioles. Teammates R.A. Dickey and Jonathon Niese in recent days noted Wright would like to be viewed similarly to how Chipper Jones is regarded by Atlanta Braves fans.

This season alone, Wright became the organization's all-time leader in hits, runs, walks and RBIs while being named to his sixth All-Star Game.

The new deal could keep Wright a Met at least through age 38.

Mets officials have hoped Wright will become an ambassador for the organization after his playing career -- a role Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver currently serves.

The signing also is a gesture of goodwill toward the fan base, which widely was upset by the Mets' passive attempt to re-sign shortstop Jose Reyes the previous offseason, when he hit free agency.

Locking up Wright allows the Mets to concentrate more attention on re-signing another All-Star under control only through 2013: Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey. Dickey is under contract for 2013 at $5 million. The knuckleballer has indicated he will not negotiate with the Mets during next season, so the sides are attempting to work out a deal now.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...k-mets-history

vCash
    There's hope.

vCash
    For once, the Mets have realized that sometimes it's about more than what's on the field...though what's on the field is pretty dang good, too. It's fitting that the kid who grew up as a Mets fan, and was drafted and developed by the organization, will be a Met well into the twilight of his career, if not the end itself. Today is one of those few days where we can be proud to root for the orange and blue.

Now begins an intriguing chapter. For the first time, David Wright is one of those albatross-contract players, whose performance can be the difference between success and failure for the team. How will he handle the pressure?

I, for one, can't wait to find out.

vCash
    I don't even care about the money, I'm shocked that the Mets got it done.
    Now lets resign Dickey and get some outfielders in 2014, or else this was all for naught.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    It's the richest deal in Mets history...I think I am shocked it got done this early...and the Wilpons didn't flinch. Now they do not have to go through the season wondering with this hanging over the team. Now make a decision with Dickey, and we can move on.

vCash
    Those cheap bastards. **** 'em. It's a con job. They raised ticket prices knowing they would sign Wright - and gave the bill to the fans.

Based on the report, the seven-year extension is worth an average value of $17.43 million and $17.25m if you average in the 2013 option year. I think it's a fair number.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-30-2012 at 05:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyEye View Post
    Wright didn't want to be stuck on a mediocre team for his entire career, and you have to believe that he had a conversation with Alderson asking for reassurance that the Mets are looking to really build a competitor in the next 3 years or so.
    Dickey told Francesa that he had a sit down with Alderson, and "totally bought into Alderson's plan". I would expect DW had a similar conversation, and bought into the plan as well. I'm sure someone will make the point that "Jeffy" was hiding in the closet each time with his fingers crossed putting the whammy on anything SA told DW.

vCash

David Wright and Mets agree to 7 year extension

I thought it was going to get done and it did and am glad for it.

One question I have for Mets fans though, Reyes at 106 million for 6 years or Wright at 122 million for 7 years.

People think this was a fair deal, then what Reyes got was more than fair.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast