Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Former Knick coach Mike D'antoni regrets leaving Suns for Knicks

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...-play-together

Enough time has passed now that D'Antoni can admit where he went wrong. It's not one of those plays he regrets, it's a decision.

His decision to leave.

"I shouldn't have gone to New York," he says, looking down at the sideline in Memphis, pacing on that unstable right leg.

"I should have stuck in there and battled. You don't get to coach somebody like him [Nash] too many times. It's pretty sacred and you need to take care of it. I didn't."

D'Antoni has never told Nash this.

It feels good to confess.

"I think we got frustrated and I got frustrated. That's why I left. We were there, it seemed like we deserved it, and then it seemed like something happened all the time. Maybe we weren't good enough either. We have to understand that.

"I probably irrationally made a decision right when the season was over. You should take a month to figure it out. I shouldn't have left. That was my fault."

The story I've always heard is that it was a mutual parting. The Suns' ownership group and new general manager Steve Kerr pushed him to hire a defensive assistant. His system was questioned. Everything was.

Sure the Suns could outscore everyone, but could they win a championship? Could D'Antoni? Was the team flawed? Was he? Did they just have horrible luck? Did he need to change? Could he?

When the Knicks job came open in the spring of 2008, the Suns let him go.

"No. It was me," D'Antoni admits now. "I initiated it and I probably shouldn't have."

Everything about New York felt wrong. The Knicks weren't built to win any time soon. In fact, it was probably better if they lost enough to get lottery picks. D'Antoni's job was to build his players' statistics up enough so that the Knicks could trade them and clear more salary-cap space for the summer of 2010 and make a run at LeBron James and the other stars of that free-agent class.

He accepted the terms, but it felt wrong. That's not how basketball should be.

Chris Duhon was the point guard on D'Antoni's first team in New York.

"It was tough for him because as soon as a guy learned his system, he might be gone," Duhon says. "It was tough for us, too. I mean, we made like three big trades that year. We started off like 8-3 and we made a trade, then we made another trade close to Christmas, and another one near the trade deadline. It was hard to get comfortable."

Trust was impossible. Joy was fleeting. D'Antoni might have learned to accept losing huge games to San Antonio in the playoffs, but this was different.

"We had a three-year plan and it was good," D'Antoni says. "There were good aspects of it. But it was better the other way [in Phoenix]."

And it's better now.

vCash
    Honestly Who cares what he thinks/feels. Good for him, reuniting with his lover boy. Just glad hes away from my beloved knicks. Such a diva.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_bladen View Post
    funny how players and fans exaggerate:

we were 6-5 to start and played teams without their best and 2 best players and played easy teams with the wins.

thats how it went down........enough with Mike D excuses, he was horrible.

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    Blame it on the al-al-al-alcohol.

But seriously, Mike D don't speak. The Lakers aren't doing better with you

vCash
    Hey mike! Shut your mouth! You gimmicky system doesn't work and you are being exposed now.
    Deal with it

vCash
    I hated mike d in ny from day one, even I'll admit he got a bad deal here as far as roster shake ups go.

vCash
    Good riddens

CARMELOOOOOOO ANTHONYYYYYY!!!

vCash
    did he leave? I thought he was kicked out because they wanted Phoenix to play defense.

vCash
    I was so happy when the Knicks got Mike D. I was so happy when he left. One of the worse coaches the Knicks ever had.

vCash

Started 8 wins 3 losses

With Chandler,,,Lee Zach,,,,and Walsh destroyed the team

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_bladen View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NANDOKNICK View Post
    Lee and Zach were here and led us to 33 win seasons. Their record as Knick players speaks for itself. Walsh rebuilt this team and laid the foundation to a championship caliber team.

Offense wins games. DEFENSE wins Championships!

vCash
    Just because he's not with us anymore I won't jump on him like some, I'll admit he really wasn't given a fair shake and the whole situation was bad for him. He had the oppurtunity to coach NY or Chi when he left PHX. Now granted nobody knew the Bulls would get the #1 draft pick that would turn into Rose but he was that close to being in a better situation than here at the time.

Given the circumstances I would regret the move as well atleast at the time it happened. No coach who's used to winning wants to be put into that situation. At one point our best players were David Lee and Tracy McGrady (Who Hou wouldn't even play before the trade)

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NANDOKNICK View Post
    What is wrong with you? It was said in the thread for your eyes to see we were 6-5.

Ill say it again Stilla I know Batman doesnt kill but you should really ban the joker. Some people just want the watch the world burn.
    Video of Carmelo Anthony first time in the Barclays center http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIIQmQ2qRA

Quote Originally Posted by oballers View Post
    the only statistic I will care about is how many W's we have and how much fun it was watching us get those Ws.

If you don't understand what I mean see the formula below:

((Amount of Joy)* Playoff Wins * # of Championships/ Number of times cheered) * # of beers drunk / % of trash talking

vCash
    thank god we have a real coach now
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    Mike D failed miserably in NYC

He was dealt a horrid hand, every year

How much was he paid?

You failed my dude get over it, the Lakers failed Phil should be coaching a contender right now!

Sorry for the rant...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast