Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Jimmy Butler paying his dues and is now part of Thib's rotation

The kid certainly has developed a great attitude and is playing very good D, thus catching Thib's attention. He is becoming a nice spark off the bench much like Taj has been the past couple of seasons. KC has a good write up of his progress so far.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7415730.story

By K.C. Johnson, Chicago Tribune reporter

6:16 p.m. CST, November 29, 2012
    As the inactivity and frustration piled up last season, Jimmy Butler looked back at the summer league lost to the NBA lockout and the abbreviated training camp caused by the same.

The then-rookie swingman would pout for a bit and, finally, he'd contact his two lifelines. Butler would call assistant coach Adrian Griffin and forward Luol Deng, who'd tell him to stop whining and start working.

"I don't think I had a moment; I think I had like 50 moments," Butler recalled, standing inside the Bulls locker room after another prominent rotational appearance. "Ask Griff. I'd come in, pissed at the world, down. He'd say, 'Man, you're going to be all right. Just keep working.'

"But I never stopped believing. ... Lu always told me to stay grounded. When you have a great game, it's all right. When you have a bad one, bounce back. He's had a key part in my success because it's easy to see where he has been and where he is now. Guarding him every day and working out with him every day, I knew I would get better."

Butler has improved enough to solidify for now a solid spot in Tom Thibodeau's rotation. His career-high 13 points during Wednesday's victory over the Mavericks placed a cherry atop the sundae. Butler knows his role is to defend, rebound and provide energy for the second unit.

If he forgets, Deng will remind him.

"Man, I love that kid," Deng said. "I know what this league is like. I know the opportunity he has in front of him. He has all the talent in the world. So I just want to help him. We go to the gym every night and get shots up and talk about the game. It's just the relationship we have. And I really appreciate it."

In fact, part of Deng's leadership is a repayment of sorts. Griffin, then an active player, served as a mentor during Deng's rookie season in 2004-05.

"Griff helped me so much," Deng said. "I just want Jimmy to get all the benefits he can get out of this game. He's a hard worker and he wants to do well. And he's getting better. I told him, the NBA is about finding what you can do. When I hurt my wrist the first time (in 2004-05) and knowing (then-coach Scott) Skiles' system, I was like, 'If I'm the best midrange shooter, I'll get to play.'

"I told Jimmy if he plays hard on defense, Thibs is going to see that and he's going to be on the floor. That's what he's doing."

Butler is averaging 5.6 points and 2.5 rebounds in 15.6 minutes. He has played at least 19 minutes in four of five games, including a 30-minute stint. But he's not satisfied, another lesson he learned from Deng.

"Just because I'm in the rotation doesn't mean Thibs won't take me right back out of it," Butler said. "It's the same thing: You go early, work out like you did as a first-year player. You leave the gym late. You watch film. You keep working."

vCash
    A true Bull.

vCash
    Jimmy makes me tingly. I really hope this kid can become a borderline all-star much like Deng was a couple seasons ago. It would be great to keep this kid around for the next 5+ years

vCash
    once he gets his shot down, I can see him being able to replace luol in the line up and making him tradable.

Honestly, at this point if Luol is traded, Jimmy would start. ANd i wouldn't cry one tear.

He has some upside. Very Taj like in demeanor. He hustles and he works hard.

I just want him to find his shot.

vCash
    If you could trade Deng in a deal for a stud SG, I'd make that move and start Jimmy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Jimmy makes me tingly. I really hope this kid can become a borderline all-star much like Deng was a couple seasons ago. It would be great to keep this kid around for the next 5+ years
    He hasn't averaged more then 15 minutes a game, I think boder line all star is allitle much. At the same time I hope every Bulls becomes a borderline All Star

vCash
    Luol Deng three years ago had per36 numbers of the following:

16.7ppg
    7.0rpg
    1.9apg
    53.1ts% 48.2efg% 111 ORtg

with great defense is a border-line all-star in today's game. You don't think Jimmy can reach those per-36 numbers? Right now his per36 numbers are 12.8ppg 5.8rpg 1.5apg with outstanding efficiency. You don't think, by the age of 26, he can't average 16/7/2 on good efficiency and very good defense?

I think he absolutely can.

vCash
    What "stud " sg could we get for Deng that's young ? Only SG in the league this year killing is Kobe. Wade is a shell of himself , joe Johnson is a no. What young SG would you take a chance on ? List would have to included Thompson , Derozan , Beal , Mayo maybe idk the list is small to me .

vCash
    OJ Mayo, Arron Afflalo, Paul George

vCash
    I may even take Redick+ (something substantial) for Deng in the summer if Jimmy impresses.

vCash
    It would have to be a lottery pick in this year's draft for me to even consider it. I'd do Deng/Belinelli for Afflalo/ORL though.

vCash
    I think he absolutely can.
    Lu's numbers came against starting talent in this league, not ~15 minutes off the bench.

I think it's quite a reach thinking Jimmy would get to that level. His ceiling is as a solid bench player/poor man's starter for a team lacking defense.
    Last edited by TopsyTurvy; 11-30-2012 at 01:53 AM.

vCash
    It would have to be a lottery pick in this year's draft for me to even consider it. I'd do Deng/Belinelli for Afflalo/ORL though.
    Redick is putting up better numbers than Afflalo this year, the more I look into it, the more I like that idea. Like I said though, we'd need at least a top 15 pick as well. AA and Deng would be stellar duo in ORL too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TopsyTurvy View Post
    Lu's numbers came against starting talent in this league, not ~15 minutes off the bench.

I think it's quite a reach thinking Jimmy would get to that level. His ceiling is as a solid bench player/poor man's starter for a team lacking defense.
    Yeah that's true. But Butler's so efficient and is incredible at getting to the line. The shots he takes are within the offense, so he won't be going head to head against the opposing starter's. Not to mention... Deng's numbers not only came against starting talent but also against the opposing team's bench for at least 15 minutes of the minutes he's played (coming in the 2nd and 4th quarters normally). So it's not like Deng only faced off against starters every minute he played.

I'm hopeful, but i think it could happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHinrich12 View Post
    Redick is putting up better numbers than Afflalo this year, the more I look into it, the more I like that idea. Like I said though, we'd need at least a top 15 pick as well. AA and Deng would be stellar duo in ORL too.
    Redick's efficiency has been great, just as it usually is as at most the 3rd option on the team. Afflalo's all of a sudden the 1st option on an awful team, two positions he's never had to endure before. While Redick has better numbers thus far, it has a lot to do with Afflalo only shooting 34% from three (he's a career average 40% three point shooter).

Redick is being assisted on 76.6% of his made shots.
    Afflalo is only being assisted on 64% of his made shots.

Who would be a better fit in the Bulls' offense with Rose? It's absolutely Afflalo. That's before factoring in how good of a defender he is, and how average Redick is. Give me Afflalo every day of the week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast