Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pirates Sign Russell Martin

As per Ken Rosenthal on Twitter, the Pirates have reached terms with Russell Martin, pending a physical. We will continue to flesh this out with more details about the terms of the deal as they become available.

UPDATE 9:46 p.m. — Rosenthal tweets, via David Waldstein, that Martin’s contract is 2 years/$17M. If confirmed, that is for a higher average annual value than the original rumor of 3 years/$24M, but the shorter term plays better for the Pirates and their need to evaluate Tony Sanchez at the Major League level.
    From Pirates Prospects
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    I hate it but it is what it is. No choice but to hope I'm wrong.

vCash
    Someone please feel free to chime in. You all know my opinion of this deal but I would appreciate some more view points.

vCash
    If he can get back to being a more patient hitter and not swing for the fences, the better this deal will look. It's more than the Pirates should have spent and they should have gone the trade route but only giving him two years is the bright spot. That might be why they had to give so much. He's in his prime so let's hope the patience comes back along with the pop he can provide.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    The fact it is only 2 years is the bright spot. That means NH successor will only have to deal with the contract for 1 year instead of two. I see this as a desperation move by Huntington and since he has started doing this he is more of a threat to this organization than he is an asset. I can just see it now he is going to deal Hanson, Polanco, Taillon or someone like that midseason for a rent-a-player who will be gone at the end of the season just so he can make one final attempt at saving his job.

If they tender Karstens tomorrow I'm sure I will calm down and accept this as just another misuse of valuable resources but if not I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. This move really irks me.

vCash
    Can't say I hate it but it doesn't thrill me either
    Let's Go Pens! - Only 14 More Wins

vCash
    I would rather have signed Martin than trading for Salty or another catcher. Martin is an upgrade throwing runners out and is great at calling a game. He is also an upgrade offensively over Barajas. I would suspect that he will be catching for Burnett and two others, so he will be catching 3 out of 5 games and the fort will be our backup. Its only two years so if the fort or Tony Sanchez emerges he will be off the books and out of the way.
    LF Marte
    CF McCutchen
    RF Snider
    3B Alvarez
    SS Barmes
    2B Walker
    1B Jones
    C Martin
    SP: Burnett, Wandy, J Mac, Jeff, and a 5th.

I like the way we are shaping out. I think we need to upgrade our bullpen. I dont care if we arent able to re sign Hanrahan, i think our bullpen is a weakness and the last thing we should be doing is trading our all star closer. We need a couple of reliable veteran arms rather than developing youngsters when we are trying to win the division. A small example: Juan Cruz > Kyle McPherson.

vCash
    Martin will not be much of an upgrade at throwing out runners if the Pirates continue to use the same strategy they did this season. The pitchers not the catchers are the problem in that regard. If nothing changes Martin will be lucky to throw out 10% of the runners. And if something does change any catcher including Barajas would have improved over last season's numbers. His value in that regard is non-existant.

His other supposedly good skill is pitch framing. I think that has a lot to do with catching the likes of Sabathia and Petitte. Umps are going to be more inclined to give them a close call than they are say Karstens. So that too will suffer.

Martin should be an offensive upgrade over Barajas but I have serious questions on whether he is better than McKenry. His slugging percentage before going to Yankee stadium was around .330 for two seasons. I can't think of a single reason not to expect it to drop back near that level again. His BB% has been on the decline from a peak of almost 15% to down near 10% now. Again with a catcher on the wrong side of 30 I see nothing that would led me to believe that trend will be reversed. Finally his strike out rate has been climbing and in fact this past season he actually struck out more frequently than Barajas. Again no reason it won't keep climbing for a catcher clearly on the decline.

The Pirates attempted to solve their catching problem using a large market approach. Which is fine if they were a large market team but they are not. Spending significant money on a guy who at best might just might live up to the contract at a position that isn't your only or even biggest need is completely insane for a small market team like the Pirates to do. The difference between a Martin-McKenry tandem at catcher and say a McKenry-Shoppach tandem at catcher is probably nearly negligible in terms of team performance but in terms of dollars it is likely around a 14 million dollar difference.

The Pirates have other areas, such as say starting pitcher where spending that money would have a much larger impact on the team than getting a marginal upgrade at catcher. The only way this move makes sense is if Nutting goes insane and acquires two new outfielders (or a 1B and OF), two new starting pitchers, a new shortstop, 3 new bench bats, and 3 new bullpen arms all in this offseason. Does anyone actually think that is feasible?

Only thing to do now is to praye Huntington focuses on upgraded a rotation tht is in desperate need of help. The first step there is to tender Karstens and then to use the available resources say possibly traing Hanrahan to bring in another durable arm to help stabalize the middle of the rotation. And then we need to hope he can some how piece together a respectable bench meaning no more Josh Harrison and continue to be able to piece together a good bullpen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Martin will not be much of an upgrade at throwing out runners if the Pirates continue to use the same strategy they did this season. The pitchers not the catchers are the problem in that regard. If nothing changes Martin will be lucky to throw out 10% of the runners. And if something does change any catcher including Barajas would have improved over last season's numbers. His value in that regard is non-existant.

His other supposedly good skill is pitch framing. I think that has a lot to do with catching the likes of Sabathia and Petitte. Umps are going to be more inclined to give them a close call than they are say Karstens. So that too will suffer.

Martin should be an offensive upgrade over Barajas but I have serious questions on whether he is better than McKenry. His slugging percentage before going to Yankee stadium was around .330 for two seasons. I can't think of a single reason not to expect it to drop back near that level again. His BB% has been on the decline from a peak of almost 15% to down near 10% now. Again with a catcher on the wrong side of 30 I see nothing that would led me to believe that trend will be reversed. Finally his strike out rate has been climbing and in fact this past season he actually struck out more frequently than Barajas. Again no reason it won't keep climbing for a catcher clearly on the decline.

The Pirates attempted to solve their catching problem using a large market approach. Which is fine if they were a large market team but they are not. Spending significant money on a guy who at best might just might live up to the contract at a position that isn't your only or even biggest need is completely insane for a small market team like the Pirates to do. The difference between a Martin-McKenry tandem at catcher and say a McKenry-Shoppach tandem at catcher is probably nearly negligible in terms of team performance but in terms of dollars it is likely around a 14 million dollar difference.

The Pirates have other areas, such as say starting pitcher where spending that money would have a much larger impact on the team than getting a marginal upgrade at catcher. The only way this move makes sense is if Nutting goes insane and acquires two new outfielders (or a 1B and OF), two new starting pitchers, a new shortstop, 3 new bench bats, and 3 new bullpen arms all in this offseason. Does anyone actually think that is feasible?

Only thing to do now is to praye Huntington focuses on upgraded a rotation tht is in desperate need of help. The first step there is to tender Karstens and then to use the available resources say possibly traing Hanrahan to bring in another durable arm to help stabalize the middle of the rotation. And then we need to hope he can some how piece together a respectable bench meaning no more Josh Harrison and continue to be able to piece together a good bullpen.
    He is only 29 I believe

vCash
    He'll be 30 by the start of the 2013 season. Catchers age quicker than other postions so even a 30 year old catcher is old by baseball standards.

vCash
    It's probably not a good sign when the Pirates are offering an ex-Yankee a contract more appealing than the Yankees are offering themselves.

At least it's just two years. I don't absolutely hate it, but I'm certainly not pumped.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    I honestly think you guys paid way to much for this guy. But, I hope he does well for you