Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianYankee View Post
    I like the idea of Sanchez getting a shot.

What is with the argument some are making that he doesnt know how to frame a pitch? You mean he cant slide his glove an inch or two up or down, left or right after he catches the ball? Is he a ****** or something? Kids in little league frame pitches for goodness sake. As far as blocking pitches in the dirt, yes there is technique but at 19 he should be as physically mobile and adgile as he ever will be. Was he just given a ball glove last Christmas or has played some ball? As for calling pitches...that can be done from the dugout. You have Tony Pena and Joe Girardi in there who both know a thing or two about catching and calling games.
    If he were to come up he might not be Johnny Bench in year one or two but he wont be worse the Jorge in year one or two.
    I totally agree with leo...lets see if he can play...see the ball and catch it....see the ball and hit it....I am willing to bet also he wont hit worse than .211
    Maybe not.

In 90 games behind the plate this season, Sanchez has allowed 18 passed balls. He has thrown out 45 of 149 (30%) of the runners attempting to steal a base on him. “I know that I have to work on my defense,” Sanchez said of his plans for the offseason. “That is what I am focused on, working on receiving, calling games and throwing. I need to work hard on everything.”

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...-jesus-montero
    Romine is considered to have a plus-glove, yes? Also, I think I heard Cashman say this week that Romine was hitting well in winter ball. Romine get's first shot regardless.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-30-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Maybe not.

Romine is considered to have a plus-glove, yes? Also, I think I heard Cashman say this week that Romine was hitting well in winter ball. Romine get's first shot regardless.

What happens on May1 when Romine has been placed on the 60 day DL?

vCash
    I am completely ok with the Yankees giving Austin Romine the nod but I think they need to bring in some competition regardless. Having young blood is good and I am certain Romine can replicate the .211 and more specifically the .190 batting average that Martin did to start last year. Romine can be valuable to this team as a starter or backup if he is healthy. When you throw in Veterans like Christ Stewart, Eli Whiteside, and Francisco Cervelli they will serve as competition. The Yankees have depth at catcher but it is not good depth. They need to explore the trade market for a JP Arrencibia, Geovanny Soto, John Jaso, Nick Hundley, or Ryan Doumit type. Or explore the Free Agent pool where Kelly Shoppach and Miguel Olivo are the most appealing names so that Romine has to work hard to win the job.
    Last edited by DerekJeterDan; 11-30-2012 at 11:33 AM.

vCash
    A championship team needs to be strong up the middle. Without a solid, if not star catcher, winning a title is going to be way harder. See Buster Posey for exhibit A.

That said, while Martin was pretty decent defensively and with unlikely/even clutch at times Home Runs, he's not to me a championship catcher.

AJ Perz. is an upgrade, so it comes down to wussup? Is the goal to get below 189m or is it to win a Championship? Where is George when we need him?

Cervelli, while I love his hustle, isn't good enough defensively. Never mind his complete lack of power and lack of ability to hit for average. On the plus side, he can bunt!

This is a pivitol moment in the Yankees off season. Losing Martin is a blessing, but only if the team decides to capitalize. Going with a stop gap isn't going to cut it. Not for the NY Yankees.

ps. Romine to me is out of the conversation with his bad back. Napoli is a DH so we don't need him. Sanchez isn't ready to make the huge jump to the majors.

vCash
    AJ for 1 year, $8M, cocky SOB that no one likes. Perfect fit. Maybe A-Rod will learn something from him too. IJS

vCash
    See you later Russell Sign AJ for the same contract as Martin, you will get better numbers for sure and can handle pitchers as well. Come on Cash.

vCash
    this idiotic idea to give gary sanchez the starters job is completely insane and its an insult to 2 catchers that are above him in development . a catcher might not be ready for the big leagues with the bat but they bring him up for his glove, GARY SANCHEZ needs to improve as a catcher and as a hitter first. Iswear most of you claiming for him havent even seen him call a game yet.

to me the future yankee catcher is Jr murphy , ive said it for a long time now but he still is not ready, so romine should get the chance.

the only catcher ever to catch a game at 19 was Ivan Rodriguez and its obvious he was just a stud from the get go, theres no doubt ivan rodriguez was one of the best all around catchers, to think gary sanchez is in the same level as him to be able to handle the mlb just doesnt know baseball at all

vCash
    How did Cervelli go from a solid backup to minor league only player? How about him and Romine to start the season? Use money on another pitcher or infielder.

vCash
    im all for letting cervelli play but management doesnt like him for some reason. but management is wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    All these other teams have 19 year olds now.....bring the fkrs up!
    ^THIS^

I was hoping Martin would be back, but I'll take youth over AJ!

vCash
    all other teams that bring up their 19 year olds are because they are top 10 talent with future superstar talent

gary sanchez isnt even close, just because hes one of our better prospects doesnt put him in the same level ...........

vCash
    I might be in the minority, but I'd just let Cervelli start. Bring in a vet for the minimum if he shows he really cant handle it.

Through his career he has had about a season's worth of ABs to the tune of .270/.340 and brings speed and hustle to the position. He's also only 26, so he would be just entering his prime.

.270/.340 for peanuts is good enough, if he can replicate it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    I might be in the minority, but I'd just let Cervelli start. Bring in a vet for the minimum if he shows he really cant handle it.

Through his career he has had about a season's worth of ABs to the tune of .270/.340 and brings speed and hustle to the position. He's also only 26, so he would be just entering his prime.

.270/.340 for peanuts is good enough, if he can replicate it.
    high five!

im with you

Cervelli cervelli cervelli!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    high five!

im with you

Cervelli cervelli cervelli!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djall10 View Post
    ^THIS^

I was hoping Martin would be back, but I'll take youth over AJ!
    or Cervelli over AJ.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast