Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Twins Trade Denard Span to Nationals for Prospect

@MLB: BREAKING: @Nationals acquire OF Denard Span from @Twins for Minor League RHP Alex Meyer.

From the official Twitter of MLB.com

I haven't done any research on this Meyer guy yet. What do you guys think of this?
    M.V.P.

Have Twitter? Follow me for everything sports! I'll follow back too if you tell me you're from this website!
    Just Click The Link---->@SportsGuy218

vCash
    He's big and throws hard. Seems like the Twins could have gotten more than an A baller but I'm not upset. This guy could bust but he's already the best pitching prospect in the organization. Likely wont see him until next year at the earliest, but I'm excited about a starter who can hit 98mph.

vCash
    -
    Last edited by MattyG; 02-22-2013 at 11:13 PM.

vCash
    now trade maur to boston for ellsbury and lavarney and aceves to replace span

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xdoubleZx View Post
    now trade maur to boston for ellsbury and lavarney and aceves to replace span
    I think part of the intentions of the Span trade was to open up room for one of the OF prospects we already have.

vCash
    -
    Last edited by MattyG; 02-22-2013 at 11:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
    Thanks for posting this, toomuch. Appreciate the work, buddy.

An article/link on mlbtraderumors.com eludes to the likely possibility that Meyer immediately becomes MN's 6th best prospect in the organization (How they can know that the day of the trade, is another question....).

If this guy's raw talent is everything as advertised, the Twins, thankfully, have another Gibson like prospect/arm between AA and AAA for the first time in a couple of years.

Despite Meyer's obvious talent and the excitement surrounding him at this stage in his career (At least one Nats poster having said they "Overpaid" for Span, in terms of surrendering Meyer, on a different sports website), I'm not a fan of moves like this, personally.

Don't get me wrong-I used to love it when TR would target single A talent in trades for veterans, but in the old days he would generally only target such prospects at the time of the July/Augest trade deadlines in return for his older veterans during those years when they weren't going anywhere in the first place, etc.

In my opinion, trading the 28 yr old Span in a non-contract season while he's locked into a salary friendly deal, by today's standards, is a big mistake if/when your only return is a single A arm, despite how successful Meyer could become in the bigs someday....which will be two years from now at the earliest, regardless. You'd think they could've landed another A baller with Meyer, minimum, anyway, if this is the way they were going to handle the Span deal.

My fear is that this was YET ANOTHER knee jerk reaction by the organization (Much like the Santana deal five years ago) in lieu of the (Ridiculous) Upton contract handed down yesterday.
    No problem MattyG
    M.V.P.

Have Twitter? Follow me for everything sports! I'll follow back too if you tell me you're from this website!
    Just Click The Link---->@SportsGuy218

vCash
    We have like $30M to spend now don't we? I think we should be trying to trade Morneau an a lil cash to Toronto for Arencibia, and then move Mauer to first... That would leave us with about $40M to spend on 3 free agent starting pitchers and a middle infielder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trevhipp7 View Post
    We have like $30M to spend now don't we? I think we should be trying to trade Morneau an a lil cash to Toronto for Arencibia, and then move Mauer to first... That would leave us with about $40M to spend on 3 free agent starting pitchers and a middle infielder.
    Didn't they just get Buck from the Marlins? This could be an option. I like this idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trevhipp7 View Post
    Any move that sent Morneau for a top of the rotation SP would be a great move. We have all kinds of depth at 1st and it's time to keep Parmalee with the big club full-time. The salary could be better spent on SP and a middle infielder.

vCash
    Terry Ryan quotes

"We have some depth in the outfield here, so it just made sense," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said. "It's difficult to get these types of guys once they're up near Triple-A or their rookie years in the big leagues. So we went and got a guy who pitched in the Carolina League this year. I don't know if you waited much longer, you'd have a shot at this guy."
    Ryan also said the Twins are not done acquiring starting pitching, as it remains their No. 1 priority this offseason.
    "We have some time before we leave for Spring Training, so we still have some work to do on the rotation," Ryan said.

vCash
    I like what Ryan said about how if this guy were in AAA, you probably wouldnt be able to get a guy like this.

Just imagine this kid in triple A throwing in the mid 90's, with a strikeout slider pitch, and then having something like a 3 point something ERA, and striking out nearly 1 batter per inning...and then trading Span for him...the only downfall about this line of thinking right now, is that we will likely have to wait a year until this kid is in triple A.

Also think if someone asked you before today if you would trade Span for a Kyle Gibson type prospect...I think the answer would be a resounding yes...but this Meyers guy is a much better prospect than Gibson.

vCash
    Good way to look at it PJ. I like what Ryan said there.

vCash
    Its hard for me to not look at this like the AJ Pierzynski trade as well...

We traded well like, but average player AJ for star pitcher Francisco Liriano, who we had to wait 3 years for, but the trade didnt just bring us Cisco (and Nathan and Boof), it also opened up the way for our young prospect Joe Mauer.

In this trade, Span = the well liked but average player, Meyers = the potential star pitcher who we will have to wait a couple years for, and someone like Hicks = the player who now has the opportunity.

vCash
    -
    Last edited by MattyG; 02-22-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast