Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    behnke's bed
    Posts
    83,759
    vCash
    1777

    New Stat: Norm+ QB Rankings

    Since FortDetroit hates QB rating because it adds arbitrary weighting to statistics I took the 4 main stat to me that show QB prowess. And made my own system. No number like 93.6 is equated, purely a ranking based off just this year.

    Therefore it's not good comparing to other years since it will only show where a QB ranks that season among his peers.

    Here's what I got.

    1. Robert Griffin III ---------- Passer Rating-Rodgers
    2. Peyton Manning ---------- Passer Rating-Brady
    3. Aaron Rodgers ---------- Passer Rating-Peyton
    4. Alex Smith ---------- Passer Rating-RGIII
    5. Tom Brady ---------- Passer Rating-Alex Smith
    6. Ben Roethlisberger ---------- Passer Rating-Ben
    7. Drew Brees ---------- Passer Rating-Brees
    8. Matt Schaub ---------- Passer Rating-Ryan
    9. Matt Ryan ---------- Passer Rating-Schaub
    10. Josh Freeman ---------- Passer Rating-Freeman
    11. Andy Dalton
    12. Russell Wilson
    13. Joe Flacco
    14. Philip Rivers
    15. Kevin Kolb
    16. Tony Romo
    17. Eli Manning
    18. Carson Palmer
    19. Jake Locker
    20. Matthew Stafford
    21. Sam Bradford
    22. Christian Ponder
    23. Cam Newton
    24. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    25. Matt Hasselbeck
    26. Jay Cutler
    27. Michael Vick
    28. Blaine Gabbert
    29. Andrew Luck
    30. Mark Sanchez
    31. Ryan Tannehill
    32. Brandon Weeden
    33. John Skelton
    34. Matt Cassel


    So using TD% INT% Comp% and YPA UNWEIGHTED seems to produce pretty similar results....top 5 all the same but in a different order. Nobody top 10 off by more than one spot. Seems to only produce a number and not really add weight to any one stat.

    Proof that Fort's whining over the weighting of it means nothing. Just like I said.
    Last edited by Norm; 11-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    17,248
    vCash
    1150
    Wilson > Pinstripe Power
    Last edited by alexander_37; 11-29-2012 at 07:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,034
    vCash
    1500
    Interesting. Did you assign a numerical rank for how each QB finished in each category? A disservice if a guy is #2 right behind #1, but far ahead of #3 for instance.

    I find the critiques of QB Rating to be lacking in credibility. Just look at the correlation to teams with the higher QB Rating in a game and who wins the game.

    Teams that posted a higher passer rating went 203-53 (.793) in 2010 and an incredible 151-29 (.839) after Week 5.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 11-30-2012 at 08:57 PM.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Riverton,il
    Posts
    15,580
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Interesting. Did you assign a numerical rank for how each QB finished in each category? A disservice if a guy is #2 right behind #1, but far ahead of #3 for instance.

    I find the critiques of QB Rating to be lacking in credibility. Just look at the correlation to teams with the higher QB Rating in a game and who wins the game.

    Teams that posted a higher passer rating went 203-53 (.793) in 2010 and an incredible 151-29 (.839) after Week 5.
    Not to mention the qbs everyone knows are the best are 99% of the time near the top. Every once in a while theres a guy like alex smith who gets up there. Which is why you look deeper. The fact he was in an offense this that was safe with something like only 13.7% of his passes being 15 or yards on top of throwing very few passes, ~200 this year. Makes his chances to throw an interception lower and inflating his qb rate and making him look better then he is.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,698
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Interesting. Did you assign a numerical rank for how each QB finished in each category? A disservice if a guy is #2 right behind #1, but far ahead of #3 for instance.

    I find the critiques of QB Rating to be lacking in credibility. Just look at the correlation to teams with the higher QB Rating in a game and who wins the game.

    Teams that posted a higher passer rating went 203-53 (.793) in 2010 and an incredible 151-29 (.839) after Week 5.
    If anything, wouldn't that help show that QB rating is just as much of a team/situation oriented stat as it is a gauge of individual play? There are many team factors that play into that QB rating between QBs comparison - i.e. which defense each QB is playing, the offensive supporting cast, play of teammates, playcalling, score of game, etc - those are all team oriented factors which affect each QB's QB rating in the head to head comparison.

    IDK if I explained that like I wanted to so it makes sense......probably not. I'm tired.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 12-01-2012 at 12:19 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,034
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    Not to mention the qbs everyone knows are the best are 99% of the time near the top. Every once in a while theres a guy like alex smith who gets up there. Which is why you look deeper. The fact he was in an offense this that was safe with something like only 13.7% of his passes being 15 or yards on top of throwing very few passes, ~200 this year. Makes his chances to throw an interception lower and inflating his qb rate and making him look better then he is.
    It goes back to Milt Plum at least. Lots of high percentage short passes is all other things being even superior to say double the Int rate and 7.5% less completion percentage with 3 YPA more, which is why QB Rating rewards them.

    Look at Brady v Manning. Int rates is the big story, even with Brady being an outdoor QB.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,034
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    If anything, wouldn't that help show that QB rating is just as much of a team/situation oriented stat as it is a gauge of individual play? There are many team factors that play into that QB rating between QBs comparison - i.e. which defense each QB is playing, the offensive supporting cast, play of teammates, playcalling, score of game, etc - those are all team oriented factors which affect each QB's QB rating in the head to head comparison.

    IDK if I explained that like I wanted to so it makes sense......probably not. I'm tired.
    Football is after all a team sport, tough to isolate the QB from the team, yet an attempt has to be made, along with understanding context.

    I've seen someplace QB rating tools that account for strength of team against, and other work done on weather. But like others have said, the numbers here will never have the accuracy of say offensive baseball stats.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,685
    vCash
    1500
    Some truth being spit in this thread. Me likey.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    behnke's bed
    Posts
    83,759
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Interesting. Did you assign a numerical rank for how each QB finished in each category? A disservice if a guy is #2 right behind #1, but far ahead of #3 for instance.

    I find the critiques of QB Rating to be lacking in credibility. Just look at the correlation to teams with the higher QB Rating in a game and who wins the game.

    Teams that posted a higher passer rating went 203-53 (.793) in 2010 and an incredible 151-29 (.839) after Week 5.
    No I did not. But I may play with this more in the future.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Wilson > Pinstripe Power
    russell wilson is certianly a better qb than me, the problem is he is compared with NFL caliber QBs where he is inferior
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Riverton,il
    Posts
    15,580
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    It goes back to Milt Plum at least. Lots of high percentage short passes is all other things being even superior to say double the Int rate and 7.5% less completion percentage with 3 YPA more, which is why QB Rating rewards them.

    Look at Brady v Manning. Int rates is the big story, even with Brady being an outdoor QB.
    I looked plum up. Could you imagine If someone led the league today with a 3.3 int%? Why were int so high back then? Ei knoe the football was different then it is today, like shape and size. Or at least I think it was.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,034
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    I looked plum up. Could you imagine If someone led the league today with a 3.3 int%? Why were int so high back then? Ei knoe the football was different then it is today, like shape and size. Or at least I think it was.
    The QB looked at his target a lot more, and the WR's didn't have to catch so many balls diving on the ground, and that sort of thing. Oh yeah, the patterns were a lot less precise.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Riverton,il
    Posts
    15,580
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    The QB looked at his target a lot more, and the WR's didn't have to catch so many balls diving on the ground, and that sort of thing. Oh yeah, the patterns were a lot less precise.
    Oh ok. So basically was just a lot more predictable then. Makes sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •