Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

AL East Player Rankings by Position

I'm talking about having them ranked according to their overall package. Offense + Fielding. Forget pitching for a sec. The purpose of this is to determine who has best positional effectiveness and consequentially the better lineup overall. This is how the lineups shake out for me, barring further moves.

C: 1. Weiters 2. JPA (upside is much greater than >) 3. Salty 4. Molina
    TBD: NY. Martin/replacement

1B: 1. Encarnacion (if he repeats) 2. Teixeira 3. Reynolds 4. Gomez
    TBD: Boston's upgrade, TB's fill in

2B: 1. Cano 2. Pedroia 3. Zobrist 4. Roberts, 5. Izturis/Bonafacio

SS: 1. Reyes 2. Jeter 3. Hardy 4. Johnson/Rodriguez/H.J. Lee 5. Iglesias

3B. 1. Longoria 2. Lawrie 3. Machado 4. Middlebrooks 5. Rodriguez
    (2-3 is a mix, but for this year, that's what I think. Arod is done. Too much upcoming young talent.)

CF. 1. Ellsbury 2. Granderson 3. Jones 4. Rasmus
    TBD: Tampa, but they will not spend money & no CF prospects so 5th is definitely theirs.

RF. 1. Bautista 2. Markakis 3. Joyce 4. Sweeney
    TBD: Swisher/Replacement

LF. 1. Cabrera 2. Gardner 3. Jennings 4. Reimold 5. Nava
    TBD: Hamilton's destination

DH. 1. Ortiz 2. Davis 3. Lind 4. Scott
    TBD: [NYY hired bat]

I know, I know. It's a little early for this. Obviously NY will fill holes, Boston can upgrade @ 1B/OF, and everyone except us and Tampa may play for Josh Hamilton. Where do you guys think I'm wrong on this list? Who do you think will break out and change up these rankings? Do you think D'Arnaud or other prospects will slip in? Where do you think the other teams will upgrade, and who will they go after? BEGIN!

Jays '13

vCash

mine

C:
    Weiters, D'Arnaud by July hopefully (if not still JPA), Martin, Salty, Molina

1B:
    Teixeira, Encarnacion, (Gotta be better for next 3): Reynolds, Gomez, Pena probably

2B:
    Cano, Pedroia, Zobrist, Izturis/Boni, Roberts (Roberts is getting too old/injury prone)

SS:
    Reyes, Jeter, Hardy, Johnson, Iglesias

3B:
    Longoria, Rodriguez (given health still think will out perform the other 3), Lawrie, Machado, Middlebrooks

CF:
    Jones, Granderson, Ellsbury, Rasmus, Reed Johnson (TB Replacement)

RF:
    Bautista, Joyce, Markakis, (NYY Replacement), Sweeney

LF:
    Jennings, Cabrera, Reimold, Gardner, Nava

DH:
    Ortiz, (NYY Replacement), Lind (think gonna make a comeback), Davis, (TB Replacement)

vCash
    Pretty sure Alex Rodriguez is not the worst third baseman in the east. IMO second behing Longo.

BTW sweet sig.... can i borrow that for my facebook cover?
    Last edited by nithanyo; 11-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Pretty sure Alex Rodriguez is not the worst third baseman in the east. IMO second behing Longo.

huh? Arod has been in a steady decline since 2007, age is clearly catching up with him(he's 37 now). He put up a 2 WAR last year and if he continues this trend, he'll be around 1 next season.

2007-2012 OPS

The Yankees couldn't pay someone to take his contract that lasts till 2017 and quite frankly, I love it, considering it's the Yankees.

vCash
    Gardner moving to CF puts him at the top of that list for me. If Granderson's in right I could find reason to have him anywhere from 2nd to 5th, in left he's probably 1st/2nd. Also, I'm not sure anyone considers Roberts an everyday player anymore, they're looking for a second baseman. Otherwise those seem about right. Not sure exactly how much any of this tells you about who has the best lineup, but the rankings are sound.
    Last edited by 2009mvp; 11-29-2012 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    C - Weiters.........JPA #4
    1st - Tex........EE 2nd [if last year wasn't a 1 off]
    2nd. - Cano.........us 5th
    SS - Jeter [the guy keeps performing].........Reyes #2
    3rd. - Longoria........Lawrie #3
    RF - Joey
    CF - Ellsbury.......Rasmus #4
    LF - Jennings.........Cabrera [repeats will be #1]
    DH - Ortiz............Lind #7

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post

Haha yea sure can take it. The work's a little rough but I'll make a better one once Jose and Melky are on the field with Jays jerseys.

And I'm just making a confident prediction about Arod. Just like 2009mvp saying Gardner will be the best CF of the bunch. I strongly believe Arod will regress. This guy will be coaxed outta NY. Just a few years ago, many thought he could have broke Bonds' record. That's pretty much outta the question now. He's gotta mashed up persona (roids), and his approach at the plate is just not working anymore. He will fade.

Jays '13

vCash
    This actually makes me worry, never realized how many good players there are in the division, But if the Jays rank first in 3/9 positions while having maybe the second best rotation theyll be in great position to make the playoffs

vCash
    Jays can still upgrade at DH or Mottola can work his magic on Lind.

Either way 3/9 is not bad. D'Arnaud is ready to come up, he'll be likely #1 at catcher for many years to come. Lawrie could overtake Longeria as well if he truly develops to his full potential.

So Jays are doing ok.

vCash
    Ok, so here are mine:

C: 1. Weiters 2. Salty 3. JPA 4. Molina
    TBD: NY. Martin replacement. Salty has better numbers and better D than JPA, and he's only 7 months older.

1B: 1. Teixeira 2. Encarnacion 3. Davis 4. Gomez
    TBD: Boston's upgrade, TB's fill in. The battle for first is really close. I put Teixeira ahead because I think Teixeira will up his numbers and be back in ~.870OPS territory)

2B: 1. Cano 2. Pedroia 3. Izturis/Bonafacio 4. Ryan Roberts/Sean Rodriguez/Fontenot 5. Casilla
    TBD: Possible BAL upgrade

SS: 1. Reyes 2. Zobrist 3. Jeter 4. Hardy 5. Iglesias
    TBD: Possible Boston upgrade (maybe Asdrubal Cabrera)

3B. 1. Longoria 2. Lawrie 3. Rodriguez/Chavez 4. Middlebrooks 5. Machado
    (3-4 is close, but Middlebrooks has proven almost nothing, and A-Rod as a .783OPS 3B is still decent. Plus Chavez was great as well. And Machado has proven ABSOLUTELY nothing, dude's OPS will be around .750)

CF. 1. Ellsbury 2. Jones 3. Jennings 4. Gardner 5. Rasmus
    Gardner takes over for Granderson cuz Grandy can't play CF anymore

RF. 1. Bautista 2. Granderson 3. Markakis 4. Joyce 5. Gomes

LF. 1. Cabrera 2. Reimold 4. Nava/Kalish/Sweeney 5. Fuld/Guyer
    TBD: Possible upgrades for every team except TOR, maybe Hamilton to BAL

DH. 1. Ortiz 2. Lind 3. Reynolds? (likely non-tendered) 4. A-Rod (part-time)
    TBD: TB and NYY replacements, probable Baltimore replacement as well

The main thing to note here is that the Red Sox and Yankees are quiet. While the Yanks are close to maxed out, the Red Sox just finished dumping something like 80M in salary, so they've got money to BURN. They're not looking at long-term contracts, but expect them to sign 1-or-2 players on short-term deals. My guess is at least a Cody Ross, Nick Swisher or Shane Victorino and a Mike Napoli or Adam Laroche for depth at 1B and OF, to help ease Kalish, Lavarnway and Nava into their roles. I see them making a deal for Asdrubal Cabrera as well maybe using Nava and a pitcher like Doubront, and signing Anibal Sanchez and Ryan Dempster to fill the rotation.

The Rays also have the means to add a couple free agent bats for their OF/DH/1B situation, and the prospects as well. Wil Myers or Justin Upton might very well be in the Rays outfield to start 2013.
    Last edited by jaysfan4ever; 11-30-2012 at 06:21 AM.

vCash
    IMO, it is undisputable that jones is the best cf in this division

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BTBAM View Post
    IMO, it is undisputable that jones is the best cf in this division
    Really? because Ellsbury makes a pretty damn good case when he's healthy. We're talking about a guy who put a 8 WAR in 2011(Jones has put up 8.3 over the last 3 years combined). 32 Home runs, a .928 OPS. Has stolen 70 bases in the past and could certainly do it again. It certainly can be disputed.

vCash
    Ellsbury is amazing when he's healthy but he's almost 30 and been way too inconsistent and very hot and cold.

He's a very up and down player, hard to predict though:

2009: Speed was in big play
    2010: hurt almost the whole year
    2011: speed was still there but he became this power monster all of a sudden.
    2012: average with injuries.

So who knows what he'll be in 2013? But cause of his inconsistency I couldnt put him 1st. Jones has been the most consistent the last three years so I'll give him the nod for now...

vCash
    Ellsbury is less than 2 years older than Jones so I'm not sure that angle totally works. Nonetheless, the guys playing for a contract too. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see another big season from him then he'll be looking for a $100 million.

vCash
    Something tells me Ellsbury was taking some performance enhancing drugs in 2011...his power numbers looked way too skewed compared to his career average -- hey if people say Jose is on them, we can lay claim to another player

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast