Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Nationals trade for Denard Span

Nationals acquire OF Denard Span from Twins

Nationals PR @NationalsPR

The #Nationals today acquired OF Denard Span from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for minor league RHP Alex Meyer.

vCash
    Bats left. Wasn't really an option for the Mets, desperate for a RH OFer. Nice player though.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-29-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Why should I really care? I don't want to come to the Met forum and see Nationals and Braves threads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Why should I really care? I don't want to come to the Met forum and see Nationals and Braves threads.
    With teams like the Braves and Nationals filling their CF spots, it shortens the lists of teams looking to sign other CF free agents, or trade for CFers, bringing their price down, helping the Mets.

vCash
    Even though he's been a good WAR valued player I really not that impressed with his peripherals.

He's a good player but he isnt even a great stolen base threat from the leadoff spot.

And like previously mentioned he's another left handed bat.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-29-2012 at 05:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Even though he's been a good WAR valued player I really not that impressed with his peripherals.

He's a good player but he isnt even a great stolen base threat from the leadoff spot.

And like previously mentioned he's another left handed bat.
    the guy is a career 284 hitter, thats how you become and stay a good teams for years to come, not trading for guys like brandon hicks who will give the Mets nothing, I love how all the fans are talking about 2014, when the Braves and Nationals will be tough for the next 7 to 10 years, because they improve their teams every year as where we pray and hope we might start in 2014 nobody knows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paletsgomets View Post
    the guy is a career 284 hitter, thats how you become and stay a good teams for years to come, not trading for guys like brandon hicks who will give the Mets nothing, I love how all the fans are talking about 2014, when the Braves and Nationals will be tough for the next 7 to 10 years, because they improve their teams every year as where we pray and hope we might start in 2014 nobody knows
    There are better players out there than Denard Span in FA next year.

Would you part with a top pitching prospect for a .284 hitter with little power and 17 steals last year?

Give me a break.

vCash
    How can we expect to compete when our division is making moves and we are not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfaninSTL View Post
    How can we expect to compete when our division is making moves and we are not?
    Give that man a "harumph."
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Give that man a "harumph."
    Harumph!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzbhbetwYFU

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    Always good to know someone's keeping up.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Why are we concerned with whether the players we get bat right or left? We have zero major league outfielders, and Span defintely was one. FWIW, Span hit lefties well anyway.

However it's not like the Nationals got him for cheap, Meyer could be a stud. His stuff is great, but they sold high on him since he's had command issues in the past.

This would be the equivalent of us giving up Fulmer and another prospect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Why are we concerned with whether the players we get bat right or left? We have zero major league outfielders, and Span defintely was one. FWIW, Span hit lefties well anyway.

However it's not like the Nationals got him for cheap, Meyer could be a stud. His stuff is great, but they sold high on him since he's had command issues in the past.

This would be the equivalent of us giving up Fulmer and another prospect.
    Basically
    We're being hesitant in the off-season as usual, move some of these minor league arms/non-factor ML arms like Tapia; Fulmer, or Mejia and Familia for a Gordon; hell even a guy like Bourjos or Dyson. I understand we're not going to spend money, but at least improve the team, there's ways to do that w/o trading Wright/Ike/Niese/Dickey/Harveey/Gee/Wheeler/Tejada.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    So basically you want to deplete the farm system that we worked so hard to get back to being respectable? Yeah good plan. We aren't that close to contending dude. If we were an 85 win team I'd do it for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    So basically you want to deplete the farm system that we worked so hard to get back to being respectable? Yeah good plan. We aren't that close to contending dude. If we were an 85 win team I'd do it for sure.
    You package 2-3 of guys for Gordon, while we still have Mazzoni for 2014; Montero and Urbina in 2015. Familia; Mejia, and Tapia for Gordon. Gordon will give you at worst .350 OBP/.440 SLG along w/ solid defense; 10 - 15 SB's, and he's 29 and locked up til 2016 for about 11 mil per year average. Sign Pelfrey; Chris Young, and Chien-Ming Wang as insurance, move Flores to second(if Murph falters or gets injured, he can play at 2B), resign Torres as a cheap 4th outfielder and lets roll.

Rotation:
    Santana(til July, Wheeler after); Harvey, Gee, Niese, Dickey

CF- Kirk; RF- Duda(w/ some time at LF and 1B); LF - Gordon, 2B - Murphy, 3B - Wright, SS - Tejada, 1B - Ike, C - Stoppach/Thole

Bench:
    Torres, V-Spin, Turner, Baxter

Insurance pitchers:
    Young; Pelf, Ming-Wang

You have still have Flores; Maz, Dekker, Puello, and Lagares for this year and next, while you have Montero/Umbina/Nimno a ways away. Sure 2013 would probably be a .500 or 85 win season, however you'd be very close to making the playoffs in 2014. Get Cory Hart or Kendry in 2014, along with picking up a Freddy Garcia or David Phelps # 5 starter who can pitch in the rotation decently or the bullpen, and you have a legit pennant competing team in 2014.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast