Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Nats acquire Denard Span from Twins

From Nats twitter account. For Alex Meyer.

vCash
    Ugh...high price. Not sure I like trading Meyer away. But SP for the future is well set right now.

vCash
    There is no certainty that he will be a starting pitcher he might end up being a high-end reliever and we had a hole that needed to be filled and we did

vCash
    That's true, nothing is certain with him. High price but I'm okay with it.

A win now move by Rizzo. Only questions that remain are with LaRoche. Sign him and trade Morse or put the beast at first?

vCash
    I like it. A lot. Especially as it balances our lineup from the top down. Very good defensively and hit .283 with 38 doubles and 17 stolen bases. Davey doesn't like to run anyway so 17 would be a nice number.

vCash
    Does this mean we can go after Grienke now?

vCash
    I like the sound of this "Rizzo says #Nats still talking with LaRoche. Span trade "gives us some options in dealing with our roster."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Twiggy
    Does this mean we can go after Grienke now?
    I like Greinke but don't want to spend the money. JZimm and others will need it soon enough. Plus I think the Dodgers will hand him a blank check.

vCash
    Also something that may be forgotten. With the willingness to deal Meyer I feel like Rizzo is confident in not only Lucas Giolito's and Sammy Solis' recovery but also in guys like Matt Purke or Nathan Karns which makes me feel better.

vCash
    This also keeps Brian Goodwin in the minors for a little while longer until he is ready he is our future centerfielder after all.

vCash
    Twins fan here...of all the teams to see Span go to I'm glad to see him go to the Nats

How high we're you guys on Meyer? I haven't heard of him so I'm curious
    M.V.P.

Have Twitter? Follow me for everything sports! I'll follow back too if you tell me you're from this website!
    Just Click The Link---->@SportsGuy218

vCash
    I'm high on Meyer. Of course it is potential based though because he was a first round draft pick.

But I understand the trade. Nats get a need and Twins have to hope Meyer pans out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YanksNats1987 View Post
    That's true, nothing is certain with him. High price but I'm okay with it.

A win now move by Rizzo. Only questions that remain are with LaRoche. Sign him and trade Morse or put the beast at first?
    I say let Laroche walk. I think he wants too many years and the nats aren't willing to give him that. He probably doesn't want much more money per year but he wants a longer term deal. I bet he woukd take 3the yrs/40mil. I don't think it's worth giving him a deal like that. I want to keep Morse and let him play 1B.

vCash
    At this point I agree that we should let Morse take over 1B again. I just don't see LaRoche being able to put up another season like that for another 2-3 years. We saw what a fully-healthy Michael Morse was capable of in 2011. On the other hand I'm going to contradict myself here but how would you guys feel if we signed LaRoche and dealt Morse say to Tampa, for James Shields?

vCash
    I understand the trade from both sides. I am extremely excited to see how Meyers turns out here, and there is every indication from management that they are going to bring Meyers up as a starter.

This is one of those trades, where you have to wait awhile for a return of investment, but all of a sudden, you are sitting on your couch watching a game, and then a rookie pitcher makes his debut, and when he is in the 7th inning, has only given up 2 runs thus far, and has struck out 7, you google how your team got him, and see that all you had to do was give up a .280 hitter...the only down fall in this scenario, is the 2 or 3 year wait.

From a Washington perspective, I would be excited about adding a quality lead off hitter and fielder who will contribute immediately, to a team who is ready to make noise in the playoffs.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 11-30-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast