Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^^^wtf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrazbit View Post
    Building through free agency and ignoring the draft is a way to end up in the lotto for a decade straight playing in front of an empty building... like the Pistons last night! The Suns have been building through free agency and trades while neglecting the draft for the last several years... and look where its gotten them.

If we dont start drafting better then the franchise is doomed to suck.
    We have been building through the draft wtf are you talking about. Marshall, Kieff, Clark, Dragic, Lopez, Griffin, Tucker. We just waste our picks because they are ****** picks. We will keep ending up with those picks because of the philosophy of our FO. "TANKING IS BAD FOR BUSINESS". I can guarantee that as long as we have Sarver we will never build through the draft. He is a banker, all he cares about is the money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishnoff View Post
    I cbf going through the list but we've drafted a lot of great players who we've traded straight away or haven't allowed to develop before we've traded them to a team where they've exploded.

Our scouts have had the foresight to suggest guys like Nash, Rondo, Gortat, Dragic etc. There are 29 other teams in the NBA who didnít draft these guys.
    Yeah and then with the picks we do keep we draft Lopez, Clark, Marshall etc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    I think the funniest thing I have ever read is probably in that article

Best shooter in this year's draft class? HAHA I would love to know who thought that.
    That had to be a typo. I'm sure they meant passer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm692 View Post
    We have been building through the draft wtf are you talking about. Marshall, Kieff, Clark, Dragic, Lopez, Griffin, Tucker. We just waste our picks because they are ****** picks. We will keep ending up with those picks because of the philosophy of our FO. "TANKING IS BAD FOR BUSINESS". I can guarantee that as long as we have Sarver we will never build through the draft. He is a banker, all he cares about is the money.
    Nah, building through the draft is when you get multiple Top 10 (if not Top 5) picks over a number of years. Where we've been drafting there's rarely any players who turn into starters let alone franchise players.

But yes, tanking is bad for business in the short term and I agree that Sarver is totally against tanking. He's a banker, not a tanker

vCash
    Yeah and then with the picks we do keep we draft Lopez, Clark, Marshall etc
    Clark never got a chance. Marshall hasn't been given a chance yet. When RoLo was given minutes and a starting role he played great initially, up until that back injury of his.

vCash
    ^^Rolo could of been Hibbert, Clark could of been Taj, Marshall was the right choice, Kieff is pretty good but you can make the case for Shumpert. I understand what you mean about the top 5-10 picks. And at the end of the day if we not tanking then we need to go the Lakers/Knicks route or go the HOU/NOH route.

vCash
    ^^Rolo could of been Hibbert, Clark could of been Taj, Marshall was the right choice, Kieff is pretty good but you can make the case for Shumpert. I understand what you mean about the top 5-10 picks. And at the end of the day if we not tanking then we need to go the Lakers/Knicks route or go the HOU/NOH route.
    Hibbert (14.4 MPG, 42 games started), Gibson (26.9 MPG, 70 games started), and Shumpert (28.9 MPG, 35 games started) were all given opportunities; that's my point here - Phoenix never give their rookies a chance nowadays. RoLo (10.2 MPG, 7 games started), Dragic (13.2 MPG, 1 game started) and Morris (19.5 MPG, 7 games started) have been given the most opportunity out of our rookies in recent years, and even they pale in comparison to the court time/starterís roles that other rookies get.

Lakers/Knicks option isn't viable because Phoenix is not a large market and we don't have an owner who is prepared to pay luxury tax year after year in order to win a ring.

vCash
    Hibbert (14.4 MPG, 42 games started), Gibson (26.9 MPG, 70 games started), and Shumpert (28.9 MPG, 35 games started) were all given opportunities; that's my point here - Phoenix never give their rookies a chance nowadays. RoLo (10.2 MPG, 7 games started), Dragic (13.2 MPG, 1 game started) and Morris (19.5 MPG, 7 games started) have been given the most opportunity out of our rookies in recent years, and even they pale in comparison to the court time/starterís roles that other rookies get.

Lakers/Knicks option isn't viable because Phoenix is not a large market and we don't have an owner who is prepared to pay luxury tax year after year in order to win a ring.
    you think its a coaching problem? that some coaches really are reluctant/resistant to play rookies?

vCash

Exactly the change needs to happen with the ownership. We need to have an owner becausr regardless of what happens the owner needs to invest. If we suck and rebuild the draft then our owner needs to be ready to take a hit financially before he can make profit. If we decide on going the LAL/NYK then the owner needs to be committed to possibly overpaying a player(thats worth it of course) or 2 along with not being afraid to get into the luxury tax before winning it all and cashing in. You're right we're not LAL/NYK but we're not OKC or CHA. I'm not an accountant or a genius in regards to finances but we're a big enough market to be able to have a team that can pay itself basically. Specially if the owner is willing to spend in order to have an elite team here. I don't know if what I'm saying makes much sense but that's my opinion. Regardless of what happens the owner has to be committed to go all in or be prepared to lose. Being mediocre is not an option anymore just so Sarver can avoid losing money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky4104 View Post
    you think its a coaching problem? that some coaches really are reluctant/resistant to play rookies?
    At a guess I'd say that it is the coach's decision (DíAntoni and Gentry), but it may be the directive handed down from Sarver & the FO. In any case, weíve been terrible at developing rookies for years, basically ever since Sarver bought the franchise.

vCash
    Since Sarver bought the team we have traded or sold at something like 6 first round picks. And its clear our draft scouting is lacking. We are NOT building through the draft. We have ONE rotation player on a rookie contract. Thats absurd. Its impossible to claim we have been using the draft as a focus. And if money is all the team cares about then they should load up on picks because its the most cost effective way to acquire new talent.

A list of players drafted using picks the Sarver era Suns owned but never played for the Suns:
    Lou Deng
    Nate Robinson
    Rajon Rondo
    Nikola Mirotic
    Quincy Pondexter
    Serge Ibaka

... our misuse of the draft is criminal.

vCash
    Exactly the change needs to happen with the ownership. We need to have an owner becausr regardless of what happens the owner needs to invest. If we suck and rebuild the draft then our owner needs to be ready to take a hit financially before he can make profit. If we decide on going the LAL/NYK then the owner needs to be committed to possibly overpaying a player(thats worth it of course) or 2 along with not being afraid to get into the luxury tax before winning it all and cashing in. You're right we're not LAL/NYK but we're not OKC or CHA. I'm not an accountant or a genius in regards to finances but we're a big enough market to be able to have a team that can pay itself basically. Specially if the owner is willing to spend in order to have an elite team here. I don't know if what I'm saying makes much sense but that's my opinion. Regardless of what happens the owner has to be committed to go all in or be prepared to lose. Being mediocre is not an option anymore just so Sarver can avoid losing money.
    It makes sense, and I totally agree. Even if we were able to assemble a team much like OKC, if Sarver isnít prepared to cough up the coin once rookie contracts are due for extension then itíll be 2005 all over again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrazbit View Post
    Since Sarver bought the team we have traded or sold at something like 6 first round picks. And its clear our draft scouting is lacking. We are NOT building through the draft. We have ONE rotation player on a rookie contract. Thats absurd. Its impossible to claim we have been using the draft as a focus. And if money is all the team cares about then they should load up on picks because its the most cost effective way to acquire new talent.

A list of players drafted using picks the Sarver era Suns owned but never played for the Suns:
    Lou Deng
    Nate Robinson
    Rajon Rondo
    Nikola Mirotic
    Quincy Pondexter
    Serge Ibaka

... our misuse of the draft is criminal.
    Read my last post that's basically the point I'm trying to make.

vCash
    By the way back on topic has Marshall debuted yet in the D-League and if so what was his stat line. please .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast