• Toronto

179 57.56%
  • Boston

6 1.93%
  • Tampa bay

38 12.22%
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Farrell jumped teams so he could manage the worst pitching staff in the division two years in a row For the sake of his career he should try to play to his own strengths.

What are the odds Bucholz stays healthy this year? Probably less than half

Lester is not fit to be an ace after his season last year.

Dempster is going to get shelled in the East again. He is the only durable arm you have and he is barely average.

Will Doubront repeat? He put up good numbers. A little regression should be expected.

Blue Jay sluggers are going to rock these guys next year and thats very exciting for me. I hope Farrell enjoys his dream job

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    But he hasn't been nearly that good since 2010, which was a long time ago.

In theory, of course. That assumes he stays healthy and productive, a combination he's managed once in his career.

You're confusing possible with likely. Yes, it's technically possible, but no, neither of those are likely to happen.

Considering only 18 pitchers were > 4 WAR last year, I don't think that any pitcher "could easily become a 4 WAR pitcher".

Quite optimistic that Lackey will have a 4 WAR season as he did in 2010, given that he's coming off TJ surgery and a sub par year before that.

I don't think it's very likely that any of it happens.

In baseball it's much better to talk in terms of how likely something is than how possible it is.
    I would say its likely that 2 of those things happen.... I don't know which two.

Honestly if ****ing salty isn't the catcher I expect the whole rotation to improve a little bit, because everyone was worse with him than any other catcher.

I am still holding out hope for a J. Upton trade, LF looks wide open for him.

The other factor in all this, is that the division is relatively weak, in terms of their being no elite teams. I think the Jays win range is probably around 89-93 wins. I don't see them getting to 95.

Honestly in my eyes the yankees could be terrible. That many guys in their mid to upper 30s, into their 40s? Decline/Injuries are expected.

Unless Tex has a big year the Offense is in the top 12 range, not top 6. The left side of the infield defense is going to be terrible.

And I do not see how someone can definitively say that the yankees have a better rotation than the Red Sox.

The Rays are a major WC if Meyers is the real deal, and they replace shields well, they could be quite good.

The Orioles. Ran on major luck last year, and have done nothing this offseason.
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Yanks-jays
    rays-orioles-bosox

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    I would say its likely that 2 of those things happen.... I don't know which two.

Honestly if ****ing salty isn't the catcher I expect the whole rotation to improve a little bit, because everyone was worse with him than any other catcher.

The other factor in all this, is that the division is relatively weak, in terms of their being no elite teams. I think the Jays win range is probably around 89-93 wins. I don't see them getting to 95.

Honestly in my eyes the yankees could be terrible. That many guys in their mid to upper 30s, into their 40s? Decline/Injuries are expected.

Unless Tex has a big year the Offense is in the top 12 range, not top 6. The left side of the infield defense is going to be terrible.

And I do not see how someone can definitively say that the yankees have a better rotation than the Red Sox.

The Rays are a major WC if Meyers is the real deal, and they replace shields well, they could be quite good.

The Orioles. Ran on major luck last year, and have done nothing this offseason.
    You could have said all of this last winter. Before the team won 95 games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    You could have said all of this last winter. Before the team won 95 games.
    I seem to remember reasons for optimism with the Yankees last year, despite the age concerns. Their offense was pretty solid, no real losses from the previous season iirc, and they had added Kuroda and Pineda to the rotation to make it seem pretty competitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombtista View Post
    Farrell jumped teams so he could manage the worst pitching staff in the division two years in a row For the sake of his career he should try to play to his own strengths.

What are the odds Bucholz stays healthy this year? Probably less than half

Lester is not fit to be an ace after his season last year.

Dempster is going to get shelled in the East again. He is the only durable arm you have and he is barely average.

Will Doubront repeat? He put up good numbers. A little regression should be expected.

Blue Jay sluggers are going to rock these guys next year and thats very exciting for me. I hope Farrell enjoys his dream job
    What rubbish, although I agree that Buchholz is going to hit the DL, and will never equal 2010 again.

Lester is an ace - top 20 pitcher since 2008. Take a look at what pitching to that hack Salty and having two crap pitching coaches did to Lester.

Right now I have:

Rays/Jays
    Sox/O's/Yanks

As for the Sox? If they get Napoli and he can play 130+ games, I figure an 83 win team +/- 3

It's a "bridge year". They can sell off a number of guys in '13, '14, '15 at the deadline/waiver period if they are out of it - which I'd rather have than being a buyer to get to 89 wins, and miss the playoffs or get expunged in the WC round. Sox haven't been sellers in a long time (minus the mega selloff - hey thanks LAD!), with the extra WC team it should help the market for them. They didn't trade any specs in the offseason, and adding more through deals could spark up a nice team in the 2015-2016 time frame.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-27-2012 at 09:41 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    What rubbish, although I agree that Buchholz is going to hit the DL, and will never equal 2010 again.

Lester is an ace - top 20 pitcher since 2008. Take a look at what pitching to that hack Salty and having two crap pitching coaches did to Lester.

Right now I have:

Rays/Jays
    Sox/O's/Yanks
    As much as it came off to be, I wasnt trying to endlessly bash the sox but to me there isnt much to like about that rotation

As good as Lester has been in his career, how can you be sure hes cured from his terrible season last year? If you think Farrell is the saving grace he also let a similar lefty in Romero struggle for a full year under his watch.

If Lester does rebound, youre grasping at straws for the rest of the rotation. Its very unlikely they do well in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombtista View Post
    As much as it came off to be, I wasnt trying to endlessly bash the sox but to me there isnt much to like about that rotation
    I think they intend to field a team good enough to be not awful in '13 and '14, and try and build for '15 and '16. Time will tell.

As good as Lester has been in his career, how can you be sure hes cured from his terrible season last year? If you think Farrell is the saving grace he also let a similar lefty in Romero struggle for a full year under his watch.
    Go to baseball-reference and look at what Lester did with Salty and the other 3 catchers not named Salty. It's amazing how bad Salty was with Lester and the rest of the staff. He arm is fine, his velocity is good, and to prove it, he had very good months spread throughout 2011 and 2012, with a few clunkers in 2012.

Romero threw too many cutters and curveballs last year, and Farrell is no longer a pitching coach. Also in 2007, Farrell was the pitching coach for the Red Sox who had it's best ERA+ since 1912. Recall who the Sox Manager was in 2004 and 2007? Recall how well <ahem> he did in his first job as Manager? Timing means a lot, time will tell.

If Lester does rebound, youre grasping at straws for the rest of the rotation. Its very unlikely they do well in my opinion.
    Me too. The weakest part of the team is the rotation. My bet in the AL by rank this year, the line-up will be 5-6th in runs, 4th-6th in the pen ERA, and 9th-12th in starter ERA.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-27-2012 at 09:58 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    So again, you think it's likely that something that hasn't happened in nearly 3 years is going to occur? That would be like me saying it's likely Ricky Romero will pitch with a sub 4 ERA. I imagine if I said that you'd probably say that's not going to happen.

So are fans of the 29 other teams. With Ellsbury, Victorino, Kalish and Gomes it's not that likely that Cherington will pull the trigger. Not that Upton isn't good enough to play over them, just that it's not likely the Sox use their resources on J Upton.

I don't know what to expect from the Jays, but ZIPS says the Jays will win 93 and take the division.

I agree, but we've said that for how long now? Although with Jeter/A-Rod out, it's more likely too occur than in the past.

The Yanks were a lot better last year and they're bringing back the same crew in the rotation. So I wouldn't say it's unreasonable. I have more faith in CC/Kuroda/Pettite (even if Pettite doesn't throw a ton of innings) than I do in Lester/Buchholz and whoever is the #3.

The Rays were one of the best teams in the AL last year despite missing the playoffs. Even without Myers I think it's foolish to think of them otherwise.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    @papis...Slick and twitch said everything I would have said, so no point in responding further from me (respectfully of course).

Just explaining why I didn't respond.

vCash
    I just don't get the idea where the Sox rotation is trash, or more so to the fact that it can't be good??

vCash
    I just don't get the idea where the Sox rotation is trash, or more so to the fact that it can't be good??
    Recent history.

Buchholz has one elite year, and more that are not.

Lester slipped from his perch

Felix's top appears to be a #4 SP, and he was closer to replacement level last year.

Lackey could eat innings, but at what? a 106 ERA+, or suck, or get hurt...

Dempster is a pro, but no spring chicken

Morales is a decent guy to plug in for injuries, but, more than 12 starts a year is likely not to be good.

At the end of the year this sort of rWAR wouldn't surprise me:

Lester 4.8
    Dempster 3.2
    Lackey 1.9
    Buchholz 1.7
    Felix 0.9

You think that's a playoff rotation?

vCash
    Even with the inclusion of Dempster, the Red Sox combined rotation last year would be 4.82 (was 5.19)

How much better is it really going to be in 2013?

You are dropping Beckett and Dice K's 32 starts, and replacing them with Dempster....

Doing that makes the ERA 4.69

You are requiring huge rebounds from guys just to make the rotation league average (4.30 in the AL last year)

vCash
    Well if you look at Bill James's projections he is expecting a very solid rotation assuming health.

He is projecting their worse FIP to be Buchholz at 4.01

vCash
    Well if you look at Bill James's projections he is expecting a very solid rotation assuming health.

He is projecting their worse FIP to be Buchholz at 4.01
    Even with all your starters staying healthy by some miracle, its still a below average rotation. There's a gap between Lester and everyone else. Combine this with a good, but not great offense, and you've got an 80, maybe an 85 win team. I just can't make any realistic case for Boston to finish ahead of New York,Tampa or Toronto.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast