Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Royals have talked about Shields, Lester, Dickey in effort to trade for top starter

Royals have talked about Shields, Lester, Dickey in effort to trade for top starter

The Royals, who are searching for a top-of-the-rotation starter and have checked in on Jon Lester and James Shields, talked to the Mets about R.A. Dickey as well.

While several young Royals players would work for the Mets, Kansas City has no interest in trading young catcher Salvador Perez and isn't looking to trade top outfield prospect Wil Myers. The Royals would prefer to send the Mets a package of younger prospects in any Dickey deal.

Dickey probably isn't the perfect fit for Kansas City. He is 38 and currently under contract for only one more year. The Mets have been talking about a contract extension for Dickey for two months, but have also considered trades for Dickey in parallel talks.

The Mets' goal is to keep Dickey on a two-year extension, but if they did trade him would most prefer a catcher and outfield help. (As Mets GM Sandy Alderson said a few weeks ago regarding their roster, "What outfield?")

Lester and Shields may be better fits for Kansas City, but the Red Sox are looking to add pitching and the Rays have put a premium on Shields, who has thrown more innings than every pitcher but Justin Verlander the past couple years, as Fox's Ken Rosenthal recently pointed out. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star first reported about the Royals' interest in Lester and Shields.

The Rays are willing to talk about just about anyone (except the recently extended Evan Longoria), but they love Shields' durability, and seem willing to live with his $10-million salary, which is high for them. Jeremy Hellickson is a pitcher who might fit for the Royals, but they are at the moment looking for an ace after already adding Ervin Santana and Jeremy Guthrie this winter.

"Our rotation is going to better, but we're still looking for the opportunity to improve on what we've done,'' Royals GM Dayton Moore said by phone.

The Royals have a terrific stash of prospects to dangle, and apparently would consider dealing even Myers in the right deal, but aren't looking to trade from their young nucleus that includes Perez, third baseman Mike Moustakas and first baseman Eric Hosmer.

They see Alex Gordon and Billy Butler as close to untouchable as they don't want to break up a strong homegrown positional group. They've also gotten a lot of calls of inquiry about shortstop Alcides Escobar, but they aren't inclined to trade him, either.

The Royals are believed to have up to $6 million to spend so they are not in the market for a top free-agent pitcher (that includes their old fried Zack Greinke), though they could increase their spending power slightly if they could trade Luke Hochevar, Bruce Chen or Jeff Francoeur.

The Royals have developed a very nice atmosphere, but Moore, a longtime Braves scout and executive who's been with the Royals six years, admitted they still need to build a "winning culture'' at the major-league level. Adding an ace pitcher would go a long way toward doing that.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...or-top-starter

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Lets see what they have to offer, KC would be a good place to send Duda as well. Is KC set at 1st base?
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Would you do a deal for Ventura, Odorizzi and Starling?

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    In a nanosecond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    i would too

vCash

Myers for Dickey is a must IMO, if this organization is serious about 2014 and on then that is a deal I can live with.

vCash
    Sounds like a Niese for Myers is more of what they would be looking at. This Myers kid is ranked fairly high.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    I didn't think the Royals wanted to trade Myers?

vCash
    Niese for Myers I would do. Just don't trade Wheeler.

vCash
    You aren't getting Myers.
    Trade Dickey and get Odorizzi and Starling.
    You are looking at a rotation in 2014 of Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Odorizzi and Gee.
    You would have Starling and Nimmo as your future cornerstones in 2015.

vCash
    Would you do Niese, Familia, and Duda for Myers and Perez?

EDIT: I meant to write Starling
    Last edited by lvlheaded; 11-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    Would you do Niese, Familia, and Duda for Myers and Perez?
    That would never happen.
    Would you take Niese, Familia and Duda for your cornerstone catcher and CF?
    Come on.

vCash
    This article cracks me up. It is almost like a Royals fan wrote it. "We want and ace but we aren't willing to give up any of our good young players. What about Francoeur? Do you like Bruce Chen?

vCash
    Myers for Niese or Dickey. I don't want any of their younger prospects. I want guys that can come in and play this season. Myers can do that. However, idk much about Ventura, Odorizzi and Starling

vCash
    In other words, the Royals would like us to trade them Dickey for a pile of junk.

How is this news? What team wouldn't give up a bunch of low-end prospects for him?
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast