Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WolvesJagsOs View Post
    We had young guys and new players propell us to 93 games. Don't act like we've had this team for a couple years and they just broke out last year. Davis his 30+ bombs with an .827 OPS. Machado was a rookie and played downright amazing defense with ok hitting. We went from having the worst defense in the league essentially to one of the best when he came up along with McLouth coming in LF. On top of that, Reynolds moved to 1st and played GG caliber defense and even had an off year power wise. We added Hammel, Chen, and Gonzalez (our top 3 pitchers) last year as well. Tillman and Britton are on the rise too.

It's the players that progressed/we added in the offseason that got us where we were. Jones and Wieters took another step for the most part too which is what needed to happen.

Again, I could care less if people think we have a high 80's+ win season next year, I watched every game the Orioles played. Was there luck? Yes. You can't fault them for that. To say they are going to stay the same talent wise next year is also off. We are going to get key guys back as well as add players. It's not like guys won't progress either. A lot of young players in that rotation as well as Machado that were rookies or very little experience at the MLB level.
    You think the Os will contend, I have my doubts on that. I think the Jays will contend, you have your doubts on that, let's see what the season brings.

The AL East is ready for you Orioles, let's see what you got.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    You think the Os will contend, I have my doubts on that. I think the Jays will contend, you have your doubts on that, let's see what the season brings.

The AL East is ready for you Orioles, let's see what you got.
    No doubt. I just think it's ridiculous to proclaim a team favorites after an offseason before a game has been played. Marlins showed that. Yes, some might not have expected to win the division, but they were pretty awful even with all those additions. You just never know how it will fall into place.

vCash
    No doubt. I just think it's ridiculous to proclaim a team favorites after an offseason before a game has been played. Marlins showed that. Yes, some might not have expected to win the division, but they were pretty awful even with all those additions. You just never know how it will fall into place.
    For the record, i'm not saying the Jays are the favourites, to me that's the Yanks.

However, with the additions this offseason has brought, plus a season of players staying healthy and Romero returning to form the Jays SHOULD contend.

I still say more needs to go right for the Os to contend than the Jays do.

If the Os were hit with the Injuries the Jays were, they would be right where the Jays finished. You can't predict injuries.

While I don't think the Os will repeat last season, I can see them being an over
    .500 team.

vCash
    I just think it's ridiculous to proclaim a team favorites after an offseason before a game has been played.
    When is the appropriate time to make a prediction, after the games have already been played....?

vCash
    And there is just as much likelyhood that they could still be very good because we will have the same key pieces and likely add a good arm or two back there. On top of that, our rotation was awful until the 2nd half. We had one of the better rotation I know for a fact down the stretch, unsure how they ranked the entire 2nd half but I know it was solid. Add Gausman or Bundy to that...our rotation looks pretty damn nice.
    No, there isn't as much of a likelihood. Just based on the law of averages, the Orioles are not going to win those one run games more than likely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    I actually do like the Orioles too, and I like seeing the Rays succeed as well.

The Orioles do have a good offensive core with Weiters, Jones and Machado. The problem isn't with their offense, which obviously would be improved if they land Hamilton. It's a solid lineup.

The issues are with their pitching. Their rotation is suspect and the bullpen just can't sustain the high performance they got from it in 2012, as Twitchy explained. If the Orioles made a couple of splashy pickups for the front of their rotation, I'd like their odds of winning 85+ games a lot more than by signing Josh Hamilton to augment a lineup which is already pretty decent.
    Totally disagree. The problem is their lineup and lack of OBP. They have the arms to throw in their rotation. Their bullpen will still be very good. And while guys like Saunders and Tillman were flukes, IMO, guys like Gonzalez and Hammel are very strong.

I don't think Hamilton is the answer, though.

If the O's don't want to have to win all of those one run games, the easiest thing to do would be improve their lineup and horrible OBP. Maybe they do that from within by re-signing McLouth and with Machado. But they're likely going to need another bat. I wouldn't spend money on a pitcher.
    Last edited by Driven; 11-29-2012 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't expect that Marlins to do jack last year. Their offseason acquisitions were nothing phenomenal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    No, there isn't as much of a likelihood. Just based on the law of averages, the Orioles are not going to win those one run games more than likely.
    Whose to say next year we'll have all those one run games? I'm not saying we will be a 90 win team by going whatever we did in one run games...I just think people are shorting us is all. But hey, we definitely need to make a few moves if we expect to be atop the division or near it.

vCash
    Hamilton to O's would def. make up for some spotty starts in the rotation and help out the pen bc his bat will add just that many more runs/play extending opportunities to score. Change of environment is great for him especially still playing in the AL.

I am not to sold on the 115 mill contract.
    I'd offer him 4 years for 93 mill. Keep that extra year in your pocket to save. if he's still serviceable as a dh by year 5 u can offer him nearly half of his annual salary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by imbetterthanyou View Post
    Quick question to everyone jumping on the Jays bandwagon and so quick to bash the Os.....

I thought Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson & Mark Buehrle were supposed to make the Marlins the favorite in a weaker league? So if they couldnt do that, along with Sanchez, Bell, Stanton, Bonifacio, Ramirez.....whyyyyy are they all the sudden primed to do it this year?
    Is this seriously an argument? think hard about this, real hard.

The most recent year you were a cellar dweller and we were a playoff team. Face the facts. To say that changes before the offseason has really started is laughable.

lol....your a Jays fan, can I really expect any different? A division rival isn't about to talk up a fellow division rival. I'll end the discussion there.
    A cellar dweller? you mean the Jays team who set team records in injuries? the team who lost their entire rotation? the team who lost an MVP candidate for a good chunk of the season? thanks for your ignorance and thanks for completely ignoring the fact that the O's had won more games by 1 run or two runs in decades and will go down in history as one of the most fortunate seasons in history. You're living in denial bud. You want me to face the facts? take some of your own advice my friend. And as far as putting words in my mouth, the Rays and Yankees are the teams to beat in this division, I have Balitmore finishing fourth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Is this seriously an argument? think hard about this, real hard.

A cellar dweller? you mean the Jays team who set team records in injuries? the team who lost their entire rotation? the team who lost an MVP candidate for a good chunk of the season? thanks for your ignorance and thanks for completely ignoring the fact that the O's had won more games by 1 run or two runs in decades and will go down in history as one of the most fortunate seasons in history. You're living in denial bud. You want me to face the facts? take some of your own advice my friend. And as far as putting words in my mouth, the Rays and Yankees are the teams to beat in this division, I have Balitmore finishing fourth.
    You had injuries? Wow, that's news to me.

Did we have as many? no. But Kakis missed 60 games, Hammel missed essentially the entire 2nd half. B-Rob was out essentially the whole year after returning for a short stint. Reimold who was suppose to be our lead off hitter and was having a great year was out for the majority of the year. Wada, who was suppose to be a big piece to our bullpen or possibly our rotation missed the entire season. Reynolds missed 30 games. Machado, McLouth, and Reynolds all didn't either join the team or switch the position that suited them best until essentially the 2nd half or near the end of the year. All 3 of those guys are what propelled us from the worst defense in the 1st half to one of the better in the 2nd half.

Thanks for you ignorance on giving the Orioles absolutely no credit for what they did and saying they have no chance on being a relevant team essentially...it goes both way there bud.

93 wins speaks for itself...

vCash
    You had injuries? Wow, that's news to me.

Did we have as many? no. But Kakis missed 60 games, Hammel missed essentially the entire 2nd half. B-Rob was out essentially the whole year after returning for a short stint. Reimold who was suppose to be our lead off hitter and was having a great year was out for the majority of the year. Wada, who was suppose to be a big piece to our bullpen or possibly our rotation missed the entire season. Reynolds missed 30 games. Machado, McLouth, and Reynolds all didn't either join the team or switch the position that suited them best until essentially the 2nd half or near the end of the year. All 3 of those guys are what propelled us from the worst defense in the 1st half to one of the better in the 2nd half.

Thanks for you ignorance on giving the Orioles absolutely no credit for what they did and saying they have no chance on being a relevant team essentially...it goes both way there bud.

93 wins speaks for itself...
    You just compared those injuries to losing Jose Bautista? and setting club records with most players used? yeesh. Every team has injuries but no one was even close to the Jays and Sox. The Jays had the second best offense in baseball prior to injuries so they're certainly a factor. Yes, the O's won 93 games, congrats, it's unlikely it happens again and it's been shown here a hundred times, what's so hard to understand? the wins don't speak for it when it's clear to everyone but you that it was an anomaly. How in the world you deny this is mind boggling and frankly, ignoring the obvious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    You just compared those injuries to losing Jose Bautista? and setting club records with most players used? yeesh. Every team has injuries but no one was even close to the Jays and Sox. The Jays had the second best offense in baseball prior to injuries so they're certainly a factor. Yes, the O's won 93 games, congrats, it's unlikely it happens again and it's been shown here a hundred times, what's so hard to understand? the wins don't speak for it when it's clear to everyone but you that it was an anomaly. How in the world you deny this is mind boggling and frankly, ignoring the obvious.
    Kakis got hurt early in the year, came back, and was hitting .340 until he hurt his wrist...i'm pretty sure that compares to a Bautista like loss when you have a guy at the top of your lineup doing that much damage.

"It's unlikely it will happen again". That's what I laugh at, you can go ahead and say it's unlikely all you want. That's what you would have said last year, and guess what? It happened. I'm not in any way saying we do that crazy one game win streak like this year, but that doesn't mean we still can't have a very good record at seasons end.

Edit: just to be clear, i'm not saying Kakis is as good as Bautista. But for our offense, he was probably that important considering the tear he was on and what he did for our offense.
    Last edited by WolvesJagsOs; 11-30-2012 at 12:55 AM.

vCash
    Kakis got hurt early in the year, came back, and was hitting .340 until he hurt his wrist...i'm pretty sure that compares to a Bautista like loss when you have a guy at the top of your lineup doing that much damage.

"It's unlikely it will happen again". That's what I laugh at, you can go ahead and say it's unlikely all you want. That's what you would have said last year, and guess what? It happened. I'm not in any way saying we do that crazy one game win streak like this year, but that doesn't mean we still can't have a very good record at seasons end.
    No, they aren't comparable. He put up a 1.4 WAR in 104 games compared to Bautista who put up 3.2 in 92 games played. Bautista is a much, much better player.

You can laugh all you want, because you know it's the truth. Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice. I don't think you comprehend it, if those crazy numbers don't happen, we're talking about a .500 team here, maybe worse. That's reality.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    I would love this to happen. The only thing I would rather have happen next season more than the Orioles staying relevant and making a deep October run is watching the Giants repeat.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast