Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Cubs TV Deal

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    vCash
    1500
    why not just try to do some new type of deal including Comcast?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    423
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    why not just try to do some new type of deal including Comcast?
    What Comcast pays us is a moot point because we own 20% its just moving money around. We have to sell comcast and own our entire network not 20%. The Hawks, Bulls, and Sox are all benefitting from what the cubs bring to Comcast. They are the highest viewed team on the network by far. They are worth more then everyother team on the network yet they share the same wallet.

    I dont know what we do to get out of it but when 2014 hits we need to sell our shares to the other 3 teams and get out.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,783
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan23 View Post
    What Comcast pays us is a moot point because we own 20% its just moving money around. We have to sell comcast and own our entire network not 20%. The Hawks, Bulls, and Sox are all benefitting from what the cubs bring to Comcast. They are the highest viewed team on the network by far. They are worth more then everyother team on the network yet they share the same wallet.

    I dont know what we do to get out of it but when 2014 hits we need to sell our shares to the other 3 teams and get out.

    I'd be surprised if the Cubs "outviewered" the Bulls last year, but I'm guessing that what you say has generally been true.

    Why would Reinsdorf, who owns two of those teams, go along with letting the Cubs out of CSN so they can make a bunch of money for their competing baseball team, though?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    423
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    I'd be surprised if the Cubs "outviewered" the Bulls last year, but I'm guessing that what you say has generally been true.

    Why would Reinsdorf, who owns two of those teams, go along with letting the Cubs out of CSN so they can make a bunch of money for their competing baseball team, though?
    You might be right that the Bulls may have been the more watched team last year. In general we are the team that does most of the heavy lifting. We are worth the most to that channel.

    That is a great point with Reinsdorf. The only thing I could see is by allowing the cubs out he would get a bigger ownership steak of the channel which allows him more money.

    I dont know the details to something like this but I want a Cubs Network so bad. So that when they are ready to win they can dominate. When Theo took over he said that his goal was to make the playoffs every year for a sustained peroid so that the odds of winning the world series become greater. Simple math. I think by having the kind of revenue we would with our own network and grow the farm like he is attempting are the two things that are needed to make his plan possible. I'm of the philosphy that a 130 million dollar payroll can win you a world series but a 200 million dollar can build you a dynesty. We need a network to hit 200. Obviously, spending that money wisely is part of this as well.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,767
    vCash
    1500
    Someone should buy the rights to ccnn.com then give me 5% in return for my idea.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,084
    vCash
    1500
    As great as it will be, the extra revenue doesn't really seem fair.

    The Cubs have the luxury of being in a large market and somehow have a very popular team.

    The Pirates, Brewers, A's, etc. could never outbid teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, and Cubs for the prime free agents.

    It's an unfair advantage that is easier to accept if you are a fan of one of the cities that have the money.

    Teams like Tampa are truly impressive. Good scouting, good drafting, good developing, smart trading.

    The Cubs are trying to go in that direction AND be able to pull the trigger on worthwhile, expensive free agents.

    Although this should lead to success (and I won't be complaining), one can't help but feel sorry for the cities that don't have the advantage of money to spend. Not just to buy expensive free agents but to also hold onto great players developed in their own system.

    That being said, let's go buy a World Championship...
    I'm not as think as you bad off I am...
    I have a split personality, and so do I.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    62,804
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
    Someone should buy the rights to ccnn.com then give me 5% in return for my idea.
    Someone already did....back in 1998

    Domain Name.........: ccnn.com
    Creation Date.......: 1998-02-25 00:00:00
    Expiration Date.....: 2022-02-24 00:00:00

    Registrant Details..:
    Registrant Name.....: Domain Manager
    First Name..........: Domain
    Last Name...........: Manager
    Address Line 1......: Domain City International
    Address Line 2......: Inc
    City................: Hong Kong
    State...............: Hong Kong
    Country.............: HK
    Post Code...........: HKSAR
    Phone...............: (+86) 18611177727

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Champaign IL
    Posts
    298
    vCash
    1500
    I was saying this 5 years ago, the deal with WGN was worth up until 6 years ago, but now the CUBS are not getting near what they are worth. They are severely behind the power curve here. Secondly they carry the ratings on Comcast and why they chose to support 2 Reinsdorf teams by agreeing to that deal makes absolutely no sense. Especially since it was the Sox who killed the spring training deal initially. Cubs could easily start there own network take the Hawks with them (if they ever play again) and make out incredibly well. Especially if they play minor league games, I think people would really get into it. Well at least I would.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,156
    vCash
    1500
    Would this new money speed up the renovations that are slowing down being good on top of everything else slowing down being good? How much of it can go into the Future Spending pile?

    Sorry. Ignore and carry on. I know there's a thread for this frustration.

    Real question:

    I heard they can't work anything of significance out until 2019. True story?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Champaign IL
    Posts
    298
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    why not just try to do some new type of deal including Comcast?
    Because if you had the winning lottery ticket would you share with a guy who hates your team but loves your money?? And a hockey team that likes to take seasons off every couple of years?

    No thanks I will take my 3 Billion and tell Reinsdorf to enjoy the drop in ratings...funny I don't hear much clamoring for White Sox re-negotiation

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    423
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mlciganek View Post
    Because if you had the winning lottery ticket would you share with a guy who hates your team but loves your money?? And a hockey team that likes to take seasons off every couple of years?

    No thanks I will take my 3 Billion and tell Reinsdorf to enjoy the drop in ratings...funny I don't hear much clamoring for White Sox re-negotiation
    You think are rights are worth 3 billion? I think were more like 8-10 Billion if the Dodgers got 6-7. I think we the bigger draw then the Dodgers.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    vCash
    1500
    i think the dodgers rank higher than us.... but i could be wrong

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,156
    vCash
    1500
    Oh I get to go back to my "**** the Dodgers" stance for a post. Cubs should probably do better, though maybe that little bubble bursts as quickly as it came. Cubs are probably the other team in the sport that can support a network.

    That said, really I don't know s about f on the TV deals.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    154
    vCash
    1500
    Our current deal is undervalued by at least 120 million annually. Gato got some flak when he said the Cubs payroll will be over 220 million at the end of the decade but I think he is 100% right.

    The Dodgers are trying to capitalize now on their competitive advantage, knowing that once the other teams are able to reach new TV deals, the price of free agents is going to go through the roof.

    What I don't understand is why our current TV deals weren't voided when we went through the bankruptcy process prior to Ricketts buying the team.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,156
    vCash
    1500
    I said 180, but yeah I probably will be right. If some chump town like Philadelphia can support a 180 payroll for their really good team there's no reason Chicago, one of the three actual cities, should not be able to pull it off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •