Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    cobb gets like 12 yards a carry, dont tell me the offensive line is the sole cause for the reason our running backs are terrible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    cobb gets like 12 yards a carry, dont tell me the offensive line is the sole cause for the reason our running backs are terrible
    Not sure that's an entirely accurate comparison. Cobb had gotten some looks between the tackles and has actually looked good there so I partially agree with you, but I think where Cobb has done the most damage from the backfield is getting him outside the tackles in space, where he is a beast because he makes people miss. If he lined up and carried the ball behind that line every time I think he'd fare only slightly better than what we're seeing from our RBs. I also think they need to be upgraded but I still feel the line is the bigger issue, or at least that this is not the right scheme for our OL personnel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cutiepie80 View Post
    The offensive line is to blame yes, but look what Bryce Brown did behind basically a complete backup offensive line.

Ted Thompson is awful at evaluating talent on te offensive live and running backs. This isn't a surprise. We weren't amazing when we won the Super Bowl. We are now pedestrian with it and it is killing us.
    I don't know that I can agree with that Sitton has proven to be a very solid pick. He was a great pick in the 4th round, and is a solid lineman. TJ Lang is a decent guard. Outside of the first half of the Seattle game, Bulaga has been a good RT. We drafted Sherrod in the first. He could still easily pan out. Also, its not TT's fault that we've taken two OL in the first round of the last 3 drafts and they're both hurt for the year.

I will agree though that he hasn't shown the ability to hit on runningbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Before4 View Post
    It will be addressed by a late 6th round pick and an UDFA. They will compete with Starks, Green, and the resigned Benson - bad foot and all.
    To be fair, we have spent some relatively early picks on runningbacks. Even though we haven't hit on them, Green and Brandon Jackson have been 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its not like we haven't shown that we'll try to spend draft picks on runningbacks. I wouldn't be surprised if we spent another fairly early pick on a RB.

Quote Originally Posted by duncky1188 View Post
    I love Montee Ball, but the only problem is he has put his body through the wringer already in college so going into the pro's it may be more difficult and may not last long.
    He has taken a fair amount of hits, but I will give him credit. He has that rare ability to avoid the big hit. He generally can spin and contort his body just enough so he doesn't get hit hard. Also, I do think the "mileage" on the tires thing is a bit over rated though. Its not like there's only x amount of hits that everyone can take, and the instant you take those hits, you're done. Adrian Peterson, while I realize he tore his ACL, has been a workhorse throughout his career. He is a very physical runner and takes a ton of big hits. He's actually held up pretty well too thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by mavrikthefox View Post
    Not sure that's an entirely accurate comparison. Cobb had gotten some looks between the tackles and has actually looked good there so I partially agree with you, but I think where Cobb has done the most damage from the backfield is getting him outside the tackles in space, where he is a beast because he makes people miss. If he lined up and carried the ball behind that line every time I think he'd fare only slightly better than what we're seeing from our RBs. I also think they need to be upgraded but I still feel the line is the bigger issue, or at least that this is not the right scheme for our OL personnel.
    Yes he does do his most damage on the outside, but if you watch the runs, its not like he's making a ton of guys miss. He's simply reading and setting up his blocks. That's something that Green for sure and even Starks aren't great at. I watch Cobb's runs and see good holes for him. He usually isn't touched until he's downfield a decent amount.

We may need change the OL scheme. I don't think our OL is an elite run blocking line. We could definitely improve. However, a good OL makes a mediocre RB look better, but a good RB makes a mediocre OL better too. I think if we had a runningback who was patient, set up blocks, occasionally make someone miss and had the vision to find cutback lanes, it would make our offensive line look a bunch better. And then if we had any threat of a running game and the DL had to at least somewhat respect our run game, it would make the OL look better at pass blocking too.

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    He has taken a fair amount of hits, but I will give him credit. He has that rare ability to avoid the big hit. He generally can spin and contort his body just enough so he doesn't get hit hard. Also, I do think the "mileage" on the tires thing is a bit over rated though. Its not like there's only x amount of hits that everyone can take, and the instant you take those hits, you're done. Adrian Peterson, while I realize he tore his ACL, has been a workhorse throughout his career. He is a very physical runner and takes a ton of big hits. He's actually held up pretty well too thus far.
    Not disputing your post at all, but the one thing about AP and Ray Rice and even MJD, they initiate the contact. Meaning they are prepared for the big hit by actually trying to deliver the hit themselves. My belief is that guys like that have more durability because they are preparing their bodies for this style of running and don't run the issue of taking big hits while leaving themselves open.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    With hopes and dreams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrikthefox View Post
    I'd rather see s stud OL that anyone can run behind. Seems like some teams always have that ability to plug in whoever and get production. But agreed, we are terrible with identifying and developing both of these positions.
    like the old denver o-lines, you could put anyone back there and they'd get 1000 yards
    Oggi pensu iu, dumani pensa Diu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    on how many carries? run him 30 times he won't average that. too small a sample size to compare. yes cobb is talented, but if you have a great o-line that can run block and create holes, all you need is someone with speed and maybe a swim move or two and you should average 4 ypc
    Oggi pensu iu, dumani pensa Diu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaInstinct24 View Post
    on how many carries? run him 30 times he won't average that. too small a sample size to compare. yes cobb is talented, but if you have a great o-line that can run block and create holes, all you need is someone with speed and maybe a swim move or two and you should average 4 ypc
    You're forgetting the most important trait a RB needs and that's vision ...

~ * ~ MINISTER OF DEFENSE ~*~

vCash
    Draft a back and shore up offense line with free agents and draft in later round picks.

vCash
    And put a ban on commericals for all!!! Too much jennings, michaels,rodgers!!!

vCash
    like the old denver o-lines, you could put anyone back there and they'd get 1000 yards
    That's who first came to mind for me too. With the way contracts have evolved probably won't see too many lines like that anymore, but I watch football and I can see our line not doing anything near what those lines did. Looking around the league I see a lot of lines that do a lot better job than ours. And I feel like we have pretty good guards, one good tackle and some serviceable pieces but we can't get much success there. Is Campen the issue? Or MM or TT? My gut still tells me the ZBS just isn't right for this offense, but maybe with the right LT and C they could turn it around.

vCash
    i just read this last night and figured i would post it. it's from Kevin Seifert's blog on the NFC North via ESPN.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...ckers-priority

he argues Green Bay needs a RB in the next draft or free agency and without it Green Bay will struggle.

vCash
    I would love to see the Packers draft Le'veon Bell from Michigan State (if we get the chance). Hes 245 pounds with good speed. He is a very patient runner too. He would be a really good fit for a team with a zone blocking scheme.

vCash
    I just don't think it's Thompson's MO to go after a rb in the 1st round but I definitely see us drafting one in the later rounds. If we got one in the first I would love to get Giovani Bernard but he could easily be gone by the time we select unless Thompson moves up. Depends on where we end up drafting I guess.

vCash
    kenjon barner

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast