Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Nation

vCash
    I was watching a halftime show on Saturday and the issue of Pop sitting his players came up. Simmons started talking about how tanking & sitting players ruins balance in the league. When the other commentators started defending sitting players, Simmons was like "What do you think Toronto feels about Barnes being in a Warriors jersey? Was that coin flip fair to Toronto?" He was basically saying that because we didn't lay down and because the Warriors stopped trying we got screwed and there were no repercussions.

....now I'm not advocating that we tank, I'm more pointing out that the mainstream media is starting to call attention to issues like the one we had last year, and once they grab a hold of something, Stern's hand is often forced. Hopefully playing with some integrity lends us a bit of karma moving forward.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    But if the plan is to trade for more draft picks to increase the chance of drafting Wiggins in 2014, "almost unprotected" won't help us draft the consensus #1 overall pick.
    If you have multiple picks you can trade up though. Plus who is to say Wiggins is still the consensus #1 pick 2 years from now. 2 years ago Quincy Miller was supposed to be like top 5, and he ended up going in the 2nd round

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    I was watching a halftime show on Saturday and the issue of Pop sitting his players came up. Simmons started talking about how tanking & sitting players ruins balance in the league. When the other commentators started defending sitting players, Simmons was like "What do you think Toronto feels about Barnes being in a Warriors jersey? Was that coin flip fair to Toronto?" He was basically saying that because we didn't lay down and because the Warriors stopped trying we got screwed and there were no repercussions.

....now I'm not advocating that we tank, I'm more pointing out that the mainstream media is starting to call attention to issues like the one we had last year, and once they grab a hold of something, Stern's hand is often forced. Hopefully playing with some integrity lends us a bit of karma moving forward.
    Sitting players for rest is different from sitting players to tank.

Im with you on the second part though

vCash
    Is it true that you can't end up with the 1st pick two years in a row? Wouldn't that be the luck where we win it this year and can't draft Wiggins next year. Regardless, if we are in a position ( bottom three) next year, any chance we can hope for a rigging process much like when the bulls drafted hometown kid Rose or the Cavs winning the first overall pick after Lebron left? ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Six-8-TheWizard View Post
    Sitting players for rest is different from sitting players to tank.

Im with you on the second part though
    Yeah I gotcha, their conversation started with the Spurs and ended up with "if they fine them, why not fine teams that tank at the end of the year for better draft picks." That's why I was happy that Simmons stood up for us, he was basically saying that if they fine the Spurs, they should have fined the Warriors too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AntwanN21 View Post
    Is it true that you can't end up with the 1st pick two years in a row? Wouldn't that be the luck where we win it this year and can't draft Wiggins next year. Regardless, if we are in a position ( bottom three) next year, any chance we can hope for a rigging process much like when the bulls drafted hometown kid Rose or the Cavs winning the first overall pick after Lebron left? ?
    All we can do is hope, brother

vCash
    If you have multiple picks you can trade up though. Plus who is to say Wiggins is still the consensus #1 pick 2 years from now. 2 years ago Quincy Miller was supposed to be like top 5, and he ended up going in the 2nd round
    Things can change, but I'm not confident at all they will. Quincy Miller wasn't as highly touted as Wiggins. And if Wiggins is the player that we expect him to be, other teams will expect him to be that as well. When was the last time a #1 overall pick was moved?

vCash
    Tank this season get 1 pick and draft Cody Zeller he is beast, he is like better version of Valanciunas with far better offense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    Yeah I gotcha, their conversation started with the Spurs and ended up with "if they fine them, why not fine teams that tank at the end of the year for better draft picks." That's why I was happy that Simmons stood up for us, he was basically saying that if they fine the Spurs, they should have fined the Warriors too.
    I agree with that 100% The Warriors should have been fined. Same with the Nets. What the Spurs did is nothing close to as bad as what they did

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Things can change, but I'm not confident at all they will. Quincy Miller wasn't as highly touted as Wiggins. And if Wiggins is the player that we expect him to be, other teams will expect him to be that as well. When was the last time a #1 overall pick was moved?
    Before last season Drummond was also supposed to be the #1 overall pick. And Lamb was second for a little while as well. Meanwhile Lilliard and Waiters were in the 20s. Theres a lot of fluctuation that goes on.

And Irving pick, but that was before the lottery so it doesnt really count. But there have been plenty of deals like #2 for #4+. Jabari Parker is also supposed to be a top talent in that draft so Wiggins is by no means a lock for first.

vCash
    How about Noel? That guy looks like a bust TBH.
    We are Anonymous,
    We are Legion,
    We do not forgive,
    We do not forget,
    Expect us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers4life08 View Post
    Tank this season get 1 pick and draft Cody Zeller he is beast, he is like better version of Valanciunas with far better offense
    7 footer with a 6'8 wing span? No thanks.

vCash
    Before last season Drummond was also supposed to be the #1 overall pick. And Lamb was second for a little while as well. Meanwhile Lilliard and Waiters were in the 20s. Theres a lot of fluctuation that goes on.

And Irving pick, but that was before the lottery so it doesnt really count. But there have been plenty of deals like #2 for #4+. Jabari Parker is also supposed to be a top talent in that draft so Wiggins is by no means a lock for first.
    I don't think Drummond was ever a consensus #1 overall choice. Most places had Anthony Davis in the discussion throughout. But every once in a while a high school player looks a little more special than the typical #1 overall. Greg Oden was a guy like that for example. I'd put Wiggins in that type of category. You are right that things can change. Such is the nature of professional (and amature) sports.

vCash
    If we have a lotto pick then there's a very good chance we get wiggins. Nothing will help the sport of basketball as much as him coming to Toronto.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    If we have a lotto pick then there's a very good chance we get wiggins. Nothing will help the sport of basketball as much as him coming to Toronto.
    Unless we receive a top 3 pick then I doubt it. Unless of course, you're implying that the NBA draft is rigged.

I think if Wiggins did end up going to Toronto, I would be less skeptical of these claims. That's mostly because I want them to be true so we can have a future superstar on our team for once.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast