Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is Amir Johnson a "Keeper"?

Lots of people on here have said that both Jonas and Ed are "keepers". I am curious, is Amir one too? He is going to be 26 this year, he is entering his prime. He is a hard worker who has worked on his jumpshot and his D (He doesn't foul as much as he use to). Lately he has been showing off his court vision and passing skills. His contract is around the mid-level which is a good deal for his production. Do you think he is a keeper?

vCash
    Yeah, he's a keeper.

Hard worker, no matter if he is starting or coming off the bench. Has an attitude, and puts his heart out every game.

In my eyes, he is the best kind of player you can have on your team (behind a star/superstar)

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    absolutely ...

if and when Barg's gets moved or amnestied, a big man rotation of Davis, Jonas & Amir would be great... Maybe keep gray and acy for some garbage minutes.

he is young, hardworking and def wants to be here. He has a pride in being a raptor I have yet to see any other raptor player ever have.

vCash
    Definitely a keeper but I'd trade him before Davis if that was the player that would satisfy the other team's needs for a big man. His problem is size. His assets were well described above. Love him as a Raptor, gives exactly what a team would like to have out of all of its players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    Lots of people on here have said that both Jonas and Ed are "keepers". I am curious, is Amir one too? He is going to be 26 this year, he is entering his prime. He is a hard worker who has worked on his jumpshot and his D (He doesn't foul as much as he use to). Lately he has been showing off his court vision and passing skills. His contract is around the mid-level which is a good deal for his production. Do you think he is a keeper?
    I will sit on the fence on this.

Why I am not completely sold on him is his high rate in committing fouls. If I am correct he is in the top 3 for the past 3 years in fouls.

It becomes detrimental especially during close games. Most refs work on player's reputation and Amir does have the bad rep around the league of committing silly and dumb fouls. Amir guarding a star player of opposing team equals automatic foul.

I am also concerned of his late resurgence in his offensive game. Similar to most of the players of this team, Is this fools gold with Calderon spoon feeding him or is this a true development of his game? I guess we would know when BC successfully trade JC.

I also cringe every time he attempts that 15-18 footer but it seems it is working for him lately.

That's all.
    Last edited by Raps Insider 12; 01-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.

vCash
    One more thing, it is commendable though how he plays the game. He pours everything he has left. But sometime heart will only take you at a certain point. Very similar to most of the players of this team.

That is why we are still a treadmill team. Stuck in the mud, not that bad to tank and not that good to contend.

A perennial 9-10th place finisher.

vCash
    I'm on the fence with this. If you can flip him with an expiring to get better players, I would. Amir is a class act, that works extremely hard, and has been a strong presence in the community. However, his overall potential is much lower than Ed and Val.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps Insider 12 View Post
    I will sit on the fence on this.

Why I am not completely sold on him is his high rate in committing fouls. If I am correct he is in the top 3 for the past 3 years in fouls.

It becomes detrimental especially during close games. Most refs work on player's reputation and Amir does have the bad rep around the league of committing silly and dumb fouls. Amir guarding a star player of opposing team equals automatic foul.

I am also concerned of his late resurgence in his offensive game. Similar to most of the players of this team, Is this fools gold with Calderon spoon feeding him or is this a true development of his game? I guess we would know when BC successfully trade JC.

I also cringe every time he attempts that 15-18 footer but it seems it is working for him lately.

That's all.
    I can see where people are leery based on everything you've outlined, but I truly don't look at it quite as in depth as you do. I think the way he plays exceeds his salary. He's far and away the leader on our team in +/- regardless of the rest of the players on the floor and he makes plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. I agree with the fouls thing, but once again, he's starting at C. Even when he's NOT starting at C he's (generally) coming off the bench for a younger, bigger version of himself, one who has even MORE trouble staying on the floor than Amir.

I just don't believe that there's as many players out there with Amir's drive and skill set as some would think. He's taken over as my favorite current Raptor.

... the only thing that REALLY hurts is what Ink said above, I'd rather have him as a big man in a trade than Ed.... ONLY if we're getting something serious in return.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    I can see where people are leery based on everything you've outlined, but I truly don't look at it quite as in depth as you do. I think the way he plays exceeds his salary. He's far and away the leader on our team in +/- regardless of the rest of the players on the floor and he makes plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. I agree with the fouls thing, but once again, he's starting at C. Even when he's NOT starting at C he's (generally) coming off the bench for a younger, bigger version of himself, one who has even MORE trouble staying on the floor than Amir.

I just don't believe that there's as many players out there with Amir's drive and skill set as some would think. He's taken over as my favorite current Raptor.

... the only thing that REALLY hurts is what Ink said above, I'd rather have him as a big man in a trade than Ed.... ONLY if we're getting something serious in return.
    No argument on most of your points that is why I am sitting on the fence. I'm with Ink about a possible trade with him included in a package.

vCash
    Amir is a great player to have on the team. Consummate role player. All teams should have someone like Amir.

But he's totally tradeable to get an upgrade anywhere on the court. So is Ed Davis. Jonas not so much b/c he's a Center (very few good C's in the league)- so if I was BC, I try to see what I have in Jonas before trading him for anything (big upside, rebounder, soft touch around the rim, what's not to like except the fact he is still developing and you don't know what you're getting)

vCash
    wait a minute, i thought we overpaid for this guy?

and who is the dumb dumb that acquired him and signed him long term?

vCash
    He's only a keeper if we can get one more big body that can actually bang with bulkier guys.
    Like Gray did on Brook yesterday but a better version..

A rotation of Ed/Amir/Jonas IMO isn't enough

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronicle View Post
    wait a minute, i thought we overpaid for this guy?

and who is the dumb dumb that acquired him and signed him long term?
    he is overpaid, but he's still a good player to play. And he's like our first big off of the bench as well.

Meh i'm indifferent cuz we obviously have salary space to spare since we don't have a superstar taking up like 1/3 of the cap room.

vCash
    We don't have cap space to spare and I dunno where you got that idea.
    Were actually in a bind with possible big raises coming up for guys like Lowry, Eddy and AA in a year or so

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    We don't have cap space to spare and I dunno where you got that idea.
    Were actually in a bind with possible big raises coming up for guys like Lowry, Eddy and AA in a year or so
    at the time of the signing of Amir.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast