Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    We really have to suck it up for one year (next season) and then the cap will be fixed. Hopefully, Jason Smith, Pace, Scott, and Eric Smith get cut this year and we will have a 4.5 mil cap hit with a 18 mil savings of cap space (Jason Smith's money is a roster bonus which is not figured into our existing cap).

Next year if we cut Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, Harris, and Pouha we a 14 mil cap hit with a 36 mil cap savings. Hopefully we can get Harris and Cromartie to renegotiate to save their cap hit and reduce it to an 8 mil cap hit.

Cuts after this season:

Jason Smith: no cap hit.....savings 12 mil
    Pace: cap hit 3 mil....savings 8.5 mil
    Scott- cap hit 1.5 mil and savings 7mil
    Eric Smith- savings 3mil

Cuts after next season:

Sanchez- cap hit 4.8 mil........cap savings 8.3 mil
    Cromartie cap hit 4.3 mil....savings 9.5 mil
    Holmes....cap 2.5 mil.....savings 8.25mil
    Harris....cap hit 2mil....savings 5mil
    Pouha cap hit 1.1 mil and savings 5.5 mil

My advice is to focus on Basketball this year and next season to help ease the pain. Brooklyn Nets!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Knicks!!!!!!
    NYJ
    Jet Nation

NYK
    #3ToTheHead

NYY

Get Up!!!

http://twitter.com/TrueNYJetGS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    We wouldn't get a very high pick or a great receiver (remember, there were once rumors the Broncos would trade Brandon Marshall straight up for Harris) but we could at least get something for him and perhaps by trading him, it would clear up even more cap? I don't know, perhaps a cap master like NYJfan69 can help me out with that.
    Trading Harris would save $9 mil next year with a $4 mil dead charge, so yes it frees up more space. Other guys with contracts like that include Cromartie and Holmes. I'm sure all three of them will be trade bait in the off-season, to see what we can catch. Trading Revis doesn't save money next year, but it saves $15 mil the year after.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan10 View Post
    I agree BUT... I think we should move every thing that is not screwed down. We have a 53 man roster that doesn't even have 11 starters on it. When we have 10 draft picks and cut 7 in training camp truly means there is a strong underlining front office problem and do we really think Mr.T is competent enough to make a quality trade?
    Did we reall cut 7 of 10? Wow...that is an enlightening statistic for me. CRAZY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    That was written a month ago. In his last few games, he has almost doubled his tackles. How many has he missed in that time? Small sample sizes are the tools of lovers or haters to make a point. They don't often make a good way to judge a player because over the course of a full season, they tend to average out to what the player is.
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    Have things gotten this bad with the Jets that one of the "Core 4" is that bad now that we are discussing trading him away?
    Correction - release.

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

vCash
    Yes, we should cut or trade him. Not only does it free up cap room for next season, but it frees up a bunch for 2014 as well.

vCash
    JF, I'm with you in that I've never been a huge David Harris guy and since Belichik exposed our LB's since last year, it's a glaring weakness his being a liability in coverage. We have way too much dead weight at LB in general. Tired, old, slow legs who are asked to cover fast, rangy TE's and RB's out of the backfield. I'd be willing to replace him today with McIntyre and think they would be just fine. Davis and McIntyre are the lone bright spots at LB. They need two more in the offseason - 1 in the draft and 1 in FA IMO (that's whether or not Harris is traded). Although this is likely a moot point as it's highly unlikely a team will give up a pick and absorb that big contract for Harris. Chances are we're stuck with him for at least another year. And maybe he's the reason we're still in a 3-4 although he'd be a good fit on the strong side (run-heavy side with fewer coverage assignments) while sliding either McIntyre or Davis (preferably Davis in the 4-3) at ILB.

I'm just kind of curious as to what direction the defense is headed in - 3-4 or 4-3? I know they insisted on the 4-3 as the base going into the season with promise of 46 defense but where has the 'hands-on" Rex defense been? What kind of personnel are they going to go after based on the defensive direction? The Coples pick screams that they're going to a 4-3 but nothing's really changed. I'm a little confused.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 11-29-2012 at 12:20 PM.

vCash
    Mcintyre hasnt dont enough to take harris's spot, sorry not happening. And getting rid of harris along with scott and pace would leave no vets for the young guys to learn from. Harris stays because of the fact he knows this defense and can still be a force with some help.

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

vCash
    Posted this in the 2013 cap forum, but will post it here: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-cap-situation

For some reason, the story of the Jets' cap situation for 2013 has gained momentum in recent days, fueling the perception that the team is headed for salary-cap hell. While it's true that the Jets are projected to be about $20 million over the cap in '13, it's important to understand the full scope of the situation.

They can get under the cap in a heartbeat. If they cut LB Bart Scott, OLB Calvin Pace and OT Jason Smith, they will clear nearly $28 million. Smith has an inflated cap number because of a $12 million roster bonus, which, of course, he never will see.

So these stories have been blown out of proportion. The problem with the Jets' cap is they have a lot of money tied up in only a few players. In fact, they have seven players with a combined cap total of about $80 million. That means about $45 million for the other 46 players.

Here are the Jets' big seven, all of whom are expected to be back in 2013:

LB David Harris -- $13 million

QB Mark Sanchez -- $12.9 million

WR Santonio Holmes -- $12.5 million

CB Antonio Cromartie -- $10.8 million

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $10.7 million

C Nick Mangold -- $9.1 million

CB Darrelle Revis -- $9 million
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    Posted this in the 2013 cap forum, but will post it here: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-cap-situation

For some reason, the story of the Jets' cap situation for 2013 has gained momentum in recent days, fueling the perception that the team is headed for salary-cap hell. While it's true that the Jets are projected to be about $20 million over the cap in '13, it's important to understand the full scope of the situation.

They can get under the cap in a heartbeat. If they cut LB Bart Scott, OLB Calvin Pace and OT Jason Smith, they will clear nearly $28 million. Smith has an inflated cap number because of a $12 million roster bonus, which, of course, he never will see.

So these stories have been blown out of proportion. The problem with the Jets' cap is they have a lot of money tied up in only a few players. In fact, they have seven players with a combined cap total of about $80 million. That means about $45 million for the other 46 players.

Here are the Jets' big seven, all of whom are expected to be back in 2013:

LB David Harris -- $13 million

QB Mark Sanchez -- $12.9 million

WR Santonio Holmes -- $12.5 million

CB Antonio Cromartie -- $10.8 million

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $10.7 million

C Nick Mangold -- $9.1 million

CB Darrelle Revis -- $9 million
    I can forsee this being an issue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY STALLION 86 View Post
    I can forsee this being an issue
    I don't think Revis gets a new contract for 2013. While the Jets might extend him beyond 2014, I honestly don't see them tearing up his 2013 deal and paying him more considering the cap issue.

Revis has zero leverage just like he had this past year. There is wording in his contract that would cost him a lot of money if he holds out. This was done to protect the team because they front loaded his current deal.

Revis has said himself that he knows this injury means he has to prove he's healthy and back to being elite before he can expect the Jets to consider a new deal. He could change his tune later in his rehab, but once again, he has no leverage in holding out.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Harris is the best LB we have (granted that isn't saying much), but he is grossly over paid. I would trade him if he netted good value in return. If not, I'm not trading him just to trade him. All that would do is cause another position that would need to be filled in the offseason.

vCash
    David Harris has 85 tackles this season , He may not be a great passrusher but he is a great tackler and we need him, Trading him this year wouldn't be smart

vCash
    I don't agree with you. Harris is a vital part of the defense and the future success of this team. You can't win games without a leader and a great defensive mind on the defensive side, and Harris is both of those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan10 View Post
    I agree BUT... I think we should move every thing that is not screwed down. We have a 53 man roster that doesn't even have 11 starters on it. When we have 10 draft picks and cut 7 in training camp truly means there is a strong underlining front office problem and do we really think Mr.T is competent enough to make a quality trade?
    While agree that MrT's head will roll (he's a cap guru and not a great evaluator of talent) this year's draft is not as ugly as you've made it out to be.
    Q. Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis, and Josh Bush are all on the active roster, and the 1st 3 are significant contributors.

Antonio Allen and Jordan White are on the practice squad, and moving up to get Stephen Hill cost us a 2nd, 5th, and 7th round picks, while Tim Tebow cost us a 4th and a 6th rounder, and "never put on the uniform" Drew Stanton cost us another 7th round pick, somehow.

The only draftees that are gone are 6th rounder Terrance Ganaway, and 6th rounder Robert Griffin.

Whether our top 4 draftees turn out to be good ones, only time will tell.

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    David Harris is a decent ILB in our 3-4, but I know he's way overpaid, and his contract is just another reason MrT's head should roll, although I'm now listening to Vinny Cerrato (former NFL GM on the Redskins), and he is saying that REX is totally in charge of the draft and player personnel.

This is a revelation to me - That REX has been doing the picking - and this makes total sense because - WHAT DOES MrT know about drafting players. It was REX that chose Mark Sanchez, and we moved up to get him.

"When you move up in the draft, you have to hit a home run" - Vinny Cerrato

In '07, we hit a home run with Darrell Revis, but look at these other players that we've moved up to get: David Harris -this is not on REX, but he cost our 2nd, 3rd, and 6th round picks to get him - he's a serviceable ILB, Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, and Stephen Hill.

"REX knows how to coach a good team (see 2 AFC Championships), but he can NOT evaluate talent (look at this years team vs the 2009 team - there is no comparison).

GO JETS!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast