Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clay Buchholz

vCash

Clay Buchholz

If he has lets say a 175-180 IP/3.30 ERA type of season, Do you think it would be smart to ship him off? With his body frame I don't expect him too last to long (30/31 yrs old?) and he'll continue to battle injuries imo.

However with a good yr/signed through '17..I think we could get something worthwhile for him.

vCash
    Pitching market is insane. If he's healthy, keep him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    If he has lets say a 175-180 IP/3.30 ERA type of season, Do you think it would be smart to ship him off? With his body frame I don't expect him too last to long (30/31 yrs old?) and he'll continue to battle injuries imo.

However with a good yr/signed through '17..I think we could get something worthwhile for him.
    I've never been a fan, and I seriously doubt he'll ever repeat his big year. Move him when the price is right.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    If he can stay healthy this year (165IP+), he should be traded. Hopefully we see him breakout again and have a big year. His value would then be pretty damn solid.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    you ppl make me laugh. Trade our SP for what? a hitter? so then what? We have a Ace coming off the worst year of his career then CLAY as our number 2. WHY TRADE HIM? you ppl are beyond stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PapelbonLester View Post
    you ppl make me laugh. Trade our SP for what? a hitter? so then what? We have a Ace coming off the worst year of his career then CLAY as our number 2. WHY TRADE HIM? you ppl are beyond stupid.
    Why do you assume he would be dealt for a hitter?

There are a lot of warning signs with Clay, more than most #1-2-3 SP's. Questions about his physique, his health, his consistency, his maturity, his toughness.

He might be an ace in SD, but in the AL East, he's no ace. And every offer for any player we have should be carefully checked into.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Hey, Carnac, the question is about what happens after 2013.

In a year's time we could see very positive contributions from RDLR and Webster with Barnes possibly pushing AAA in August. In that scenario moving the rail-thin starter with a much longer history of injuries than success is not out of the question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post

In a year's time we could see very positive contributions from RDLR and Webster with Barnes possibly pushing AAA in August. In that scenario moving the rail-thin starter with a much longer history of injuries than success is not out of the question.
    So let's rely on AAA players good idea. Worked so well last year right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post

I believe he's implying that they could start to contribute in a years time like he said. Not right away. If you do trade clay you can still sign FA free agents on 1,2,3 year deals.

vCash
    You actually think this team is going to contend for the WS in '13 or '14? If not, then what's the problem? My problem with it would be if the return sucks. No way of knowing that now, Carnac.

vCash
    I'd rather keep Clay. He's a good middle of the rotation starter.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

vCash
    Here is a superb thread on the same Buchholz from May 2010. Right at the end it was noted that his HR/9 was very good that year and wasn't sustainable.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...uchholz&page=6

2010 - 0.5
    2011 - 1.1
    2012 - 1.2

Prior two years 1.3 and 1.3

Since 2009 his IP and ERA+:

IP:

92.0 (in half a season) -- 111
    173.2 (DL) - 187
    082.2 (DL) - 124
    189.1 (DL) - 095

So by IP/DL trips he's at best a #5 SP or more likely a spot starter/long man if you want him not to go to the DL.

Excepting his outlier season his ERA numbers are that of a strong 3 or a meh 2.

As usual Sox fans over estimate the value of everything that they have.

p.s. he'll be 29 in August, and his team options in 2016 and 2017 are cheap buy-outs or expensive payout ($13M and $13.5M). His price in '13 and '14 is favorable. Cash the chip in while it is still valuable.

vCash
    Clown

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Clown
    ?? Is he one of those guys we got in the Crawford deal? i can't keep them all straight....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    ?? Is he one of those guys we got in the Crawford deal? i can't keep them all straight....
    Nah, I was just annoyed that PapelbonLester comes in here and calls everyone stupid when in reality he' the one thinking we have to compete this year while the team is in a rebuilding stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast