Raiders suspend Rolando McClain two games
Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was suspended by the Raiders for two games for conduct detrimental to the team Friday morning. He was not released — McClain wrote on Facebook after missing practice Wednesday that he was officially done with the team – though all indications are that will still happen down the road.
For now, the team can keep $121,000 of his $970,000 base salary and not reward him by giving him a chance to hook on with another team.
Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Thursday that “there’s going to be consequences to his actions,” though Allen wouldn’t say what those actions were. The team asked McClain not to come to practice.
“We’ve got to make a decision as an organization,” Allen said. “We’re going to make sure we make the right decision.”
McClain was at practice early Wednesday and then left and didn’t participate due to a “team-related issue,” Allen said. There was one report of a heated exchange between Allen and McClain but a dozen or so players I talked to didn’t see one. S0me saw them talking at one point, but didn’t think anything of it.
McClain’s teammates saw his Facebook comments — including “looking forward to playing for an actual team” — which have since been deleted. Recent free agent signee Omar Gaither will take his spot in the lineup.
McClain is due to make $9.8 million in 2013 and 2014.
McClain was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft after helping Alabama win a national championship. He has struggled so far in his career and has had his playing time sharply reduced in recent weeks.
In 41 career games with Oakland, McClain had 6½ sacks, one interception, one forced fumble, no fumble recoveries and did little to help improve Oakland’s struggling run defense.
McClain also had problems off the field. He was involved in a shooting in Alabama last November — one year ago today — when he left the team briefly during the season to attend a family funeral. McClain had been convicted of four misdemeanors in May but he appealed and the charges were recently dropped when the accuser told prosecutors he no longer wanted to pursue the case.