Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

why does the Lakers losing suck so much worse...

Im resigned that I have to wait for Nash to come back to make any judgements on this team (other than wanting to punch Pau in his cry-face) so I want to ask this group a different question.

This has plagued me my whole life as an NBA & Laker fan (roughly 20 years).

Q:
    Why does a loss in basketball suck so much worse than a loss in other sports?

Do you find this to be the same for you or am I nuts?

Im a huge Angels fan, go to many games a year, & when they lose it hurts but its no big deal. Same for the Kings in Hockey & the Chargers.

When the Lakers lose, Im pissed off & generally want to trade everyone. its a TOTAL over-reaction & consciously I know this, but it still happens.

Ive rationalized that there are less games in NBA than Baseball, or that I like the Lakers more & am closer identified with them, etc. But it is something more than that.

It just seems like losing in Basketball is more personal & its like the team isnt trying, & Im more personally disappointed than in other sports.

Anyway, it sucks & I want some insight on this from yall.

vCash
    IDK... I do agree with you for the most part, but I get pretty frustrated when any of my teams lose.

I'm not sure I've ever been more frustrated than this last Yankees Post season. Some of the most pathetic offense of all time.

-Regarding the Lakers though, it seems like they end up losing is some of the most painful ways. Either simply quitting (game 7 vs. Suns, game 6 vs. Boston) or just not being able to close teams out (last years playoffs vs. OKC, the year before in game 1 vs. Dallas, last night, etc.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog-99 View Post
    Im resigned that I have to wait for Nash to come back to make any judgements on this team (other than wanting to punch Pau in his cry-face) so I want to ask this group a different question.

This has plagued me my whole life as an NBA & Laker fan (roughly 20 years).

Q:
    Why does a loss in basketball suck so much worse than a loss in other sports?

Do you find this to be the same for you or am I nuts?

Im a huge Angels fan, go to many games a year, & when they lose it hurts but its no big deal. Same for the Kings in Hockey & the Chargers.

When the Lakers lose, Im pissed off & generally want to trade everyone. its a TOTAL over-reaction & consciously I know this, but it still happens.

Ive rationalized that there are less games in NBA than Baseball, or that I like the Lakers more & am closer identified with them, etc. But it is something more than that.

It just seems like losing in Basketball is more personal & its like the team isnt trying, & Im more personally disappointed than in other sports.

Anyway, it sucks & I want some insight on this from yall.
    Probably because we're so spoiled.. We are used to a franchise with a rich history of winning. Add to that that this team is so loaded that losing so many games at any part of the season is just unfathomable.. So much hype and hope going into this season just makes it that much more unbearable to see any team with Kobe, Howard, Gasol, Artest, Jamison, and Nash on it losing at this rate.. Talent alone should have sparked these Lakers to more wins.. I think it's just an expectation we generally have.. The Rams can continue to lose at any rate and I just expect it now, in fact, I have absolutely no expectation for them what so ever. The Lakers are a different story entirely..
    Last edited by evadatam5150; 11-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.

4. 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Reason
    double post

vCash
    I hope this is satire...this site is full of satire taken seriously by they're own authors...

vCash
    The way I see it, Barry, This should be a dynamite show.

vCash
    Pretty much because everyone expected this team to lose no more than 15-20 games and we are already pretty much halfway there lol... I know I expected to go in every game as the favored team, I dont feel that way anymore though.
    #Chow!

vCash
    The Lakers are the Yankees of the NBA. Whenever any other team gets knocked out of the postseason, it's no big deal. But when the Yankees get knocked out, it's major news. When they get swept, it's headline news and heads must roll! Lakers get the same treatment.

vCash
    You are probably more of a Lakers fan than any other team you root for? I know that's the case for me. I root for the Dodgers, and when they lose it doesn't hurt as much as when the Lakers do.. Or probably that's because Dodger fans are use to losing same with the Raiders llullz!

Also ever since being a member of this forum, the losses do hurt more. Mainly because you have to put up with these a**hole posters from other fan bases.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    Because we should be 15-0

The Future is NOW!

vCash
    Not sure I agree... I'm not much of football fan... but I would imagine a die hard FB fan is much more devastated by a loss than a Laker fan... in Football you only play 16 games in a regular season.. you go on two or three game losing streak.. you're chances to make a playoffs are very grim... where in basketball you have 82 games... a couple of losses/losing streaks are not as big of a deal. But a frustrating loss like the one against Indiana, where we play like utter Cr@p the whole game, yet still manage to lose by a late second basket...

baseball is rediculous to play a 162 games in a season... you can lose 80 games and still make the playoffs...
    ... You know you got a good DVR... whenever you hit pause on your remote during the action and it displays its favorite player....

vCash
    More expectations for the Lakers to win it all year after year I guess.

vCash
    It hurts because you know they can win all the games, If they were a team with sorry players or a young team; I bet you would undestand it better and accept defeat with no problem; but with this loaded team, It is unaceptable all the Loses.

This team is pathetic so far...

"Killer Instinct"

vCash
    Simple, you love Lakers the most out of your favorite sports teams. Use the multiple GF analogy...You care less about the other chicks you bang, but there is that one woman that if she dumps you, your world crumbles...sort of.

vCash
    When the Lakers lose it ****s up my whole day, I can't stand it especially when we're under performing.

Let's get ready to Shiva!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Im thinking its "the way they lose" thing. Like J4KoP99 said. I swear to god they rip your damn heart out. Kobe giving away that game against the Thunder (& then not owning that in post game), errrcccgghh.

Works in the positive direction when they win though too. When Kobe dunked on Nash (and if you saw this, thats the only description you need, no further clarification necessary), I jumped up so high I almost bumped by head on the ceiling & nearly landed on my kid. Seriously didnt even think about it, complete reflex.

I also think that with time, Ive washed over all the struggles of the Showtime era (there were plenty) and remember it as all being perfect, & am disappointed its not that way now.

So: New game tonight, Im ready to once again have an entirely different opinion about them based on the outcome.

Wish I was more level headed with them, but I am not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast