Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What hat should Piazza wear if elected to Cooperstown?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mets

245 76.56%
  • Dodgers

75 23.44%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greedy22 View Post
    He was traded in May, he spent the majority of 98 in a Mets uniform.
    i am well aware, i was just saying that if you look at his 5 best seasons he was in a dodger uni at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    probably a suit since his press conference will be on national tv.

vCash
    Monster years with LA, but I'd let him choose b/c he did spent a lot of time with the Mets... speaking statistically though, he really was the best offensive catcher in history while w/ LA... he was just "very" good w/ the Mets.
    Suck it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBASEBALL22 View Post
    Monster years with LA, but I'd let him choose b/c he did spent a lot of time with the Mets... speaking statistically though, he really was the best offensive catcher in history while w/ LA... he was just "very" good w/ the Mets.
    he was very good for the first 4 years of his mets tenure, then well wasn't lol,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    he was very good for the first 4 years of his mets tenure, then well wasn't lol,
    He got older...he is a catcher.

He still played longer and ultimately accumulated more stats as a Met. He also still performed at a HOF level as a Met (in those 4 years or so before his age started to become a factor).

He also had by far his most memorable moments as a Met (World Series appearance, 9/11 Homerun, countless other big hits and big moments that define the memory and legacy of Mike Piazza).

His best years statistically were mostly as a Dodger, so its a good debate...but ultimately he should go in as a Met if you look at the entire picture.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 01-04-2013 at 03:36 PM.

We chose Duda

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    He should go in as a Marlin though
    haha this

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Stats and accolades wise, he was at his best with the Dodgers it seems, but when I think of Mike Piazza I think of the Mets. But that's also because I was a little kid and not watching baseball when he played in LA.

vCash
    As much as I hate to say it, on paper, I've always felt he should go in as a Dodger. But he wants to go in as a Met, and that should be considered. Especially when it's a close debate.

Mets.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    He got older...he is a catcher.

He still played longer and ultimately accumulated more stats as a Met. He also still performed at a HOF level as a Met (in those 4 years or so before his age started to become a factor).

He also had by far his most memorable moments as a Met (World Series appearance, 9/11 Homerun, countless other big hits and big moments that define the memory and legacy of Mike Piazza).

His best years statistically were mostly as a Dodger, so its a good debate...but ultimately he should go in as a Met if you look at the entire picture.
    i understand but it doesn't make it less true.

and he had a lot of memorable moments for the dodgers, in 93 on the last day of the season he hit 3 home runs vs the giants and knocked them out of the playoffs. Great Times...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    i understand but it doesn't make it less true.

and he had a lot of memorable moments for the dodgers, in 93 on the last day of the season he hit 3 home runs vs the giants and knocked them out of the playoffs. Great Times...
    Still though, he did accumulate more stats as a Met in terms of volume at the end of the day.

So basically, he was still good enough in those prime years as a Met before he began to decline. In terms of the grand scope of his legacy and his production as a baseball player, just because more of his prime years were as a Dodger doesn't mean he should go in as a Dodger. He was with the Mets longer and still produced long enough at a HOF level to accumulate more volume stats with the Mets.

The memorable moments as a Dodger also don't quite match up with those as a Met...but I think you are fully aware of this.

We chose Duda

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I would let him pick.

vCash
    obviously the mets

more stats and longer tenure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Still though, he did accumulate more stats as a Met in terms of volume at the end of the day.

So basically, he was still good enough in those prime years as a Met before he began to decline. In terms of the grand scope of his legacy and his production as a baseball player, just because more of his prime years were as a Dodger doesn't mean he should go in as a Dodger. He was with the Mets longer and still produced long enough at a HOF level to accumulate more volume stats with the Mets.

The memorable moments as a Dodger also don't quite match up with those as a Met...but I think you are fully aware of this.
    Volume? I guess were going quantity over quality here? i have never been a fan of that...

and i think it's easy to say that this memory or that memory was better coming from a bias perspective ie OURS

Though the time that Rodger Clemens threw a bat at him was in a mets uni.

and i think you know that he would have never been able to produce those memorable moments had the dodgers not drafted him in the 62nd round and had Tommy Lasorda not insisted that he could catch he wouldn't be the greatest hitting catcher ever(he came into the draft as a 1b, no one else would have made him Catch but Tommy) none of those things happen without Tommy and the dodgers(including the post 9/11 home run) i think your fully aware of this.

vCash
    The bragging rights bottom line -- because that is all this thread is about -- to me is which team Piazza prefers. It's the Mets. So, no more sour grapes from L.A. fans, please.

Piazza, who was in Manhattan to receive an award Saturday at the 25th annual Ellis Island Medals of Honor ceremony, will be eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2013. And although Major League Baseball will decide which team’s cap will be on his plaque, Piazza, who played the first seven years of his 16-year career with the Los Angeles Dodgers, said he would want to be inducted as a Met.

“The bulk of my career was with the Mets,” he said, “and after going through the trade, then the drama of 9/11. I’ll never forget my Dodger days. But my time with the Mets is what I’ll remember most about my career.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/sp...azza.html?_r=0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    The bragging rights bottom line -- because that is all this thread is about -- to me is which team Piazza prefers. It's the Mets. So, no more sour grapes from L.A. fans, please.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/sp...azza.html?_r=0
    yeah andre dawson wanted to be a cub and we saw how that went, gary carter the 2nd best mets catcher wanted to go in as a met too, i mean if he does go in with and M on his cap that will be OK, i just hope he doesn't mention the dodgers or thanks them in anyway for making him 100 million dollars because that would be tacky.
    Last edited by ciaban; 01-05-2013 at 07:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    obviously the mets

more stats and longer tenure
    He had better stats as a Dodger

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast