Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Wolves Ratings

vCash

Wolves Ratings

The scale will be from F-A+. I will rank each player and give him his grade.
    I will be doing this as much as possible.

11/27/12 Vs. Sacramento

Starting 5:
    PG: Luke Ridnour- Luke played well scoring 18 points in this one. His mid-range jump shot was looking very good in this one as well as his ability to move like Steve Nash. Nash consistently dribbles the ball under the basket and around which is something Ridnour has added to his game over the years. Rating: B+

SG: Malcolm Lee- Currently my favorite player on the Wolves roster. He has struggled in his 2nd year so far but Adelman has thrown him into the role of a starter and heís starting to adapt well. It would be nice if we could see him return to form. He was able to take over games while he played at UCLA. Last night we caught a small glimpse of that. We have seen Leeís explosiveness so far this season and by my standards last night was his best game so far of the young year. Rating: A-

SF- Andrei Kirilenko- Consistency has been Kirilenkoís game the entire season. Being the steady Small Forward piece that the Wolves need. He does a bit of everything and his hustle has been fantastic so far. He scored a decent amount last night with 14 points but is most impressive were his 3 blocks. That is an impressive number for a SF. I hope to see him continue to play like this the entire season. Rating: B

PF- Kevin Love- Love has been back for a few games now but last night was his first game without the brace. It didnít seem to make much of a difference though. He scored 23 points with 24 rebounds. Itís always fun to see a player getting more rebounds than points if it is in such a high magnitude. The only downside to his game last night was shooting 2-8 from beyond the arc. That is an extremely small sample though and Iím sure that percentage will go up. Rating: A/A+

C- Nikola Pekovic- Pekovic has been playing well for the most part this season. We see him putting up close to 20 points most nights (without Ricky Rubio). When Rubio returns I believe that Pekovicís numbers will increase by about 3-4 points per game. Nikola had a +/- rating of +10 last night which was tied for a team high with Kevin Love. Pekovicís four turnovers are not something to be happy about but he had an off game with that. Iím not reading too far into the turnover numbers with him. Having a healthy Pekovic for the entire season can make a monumental difference to the way the Wolves do this season. A true center and a bruiser is a lost art in this league but Pek is doing his best to bring that back. Rating: A-

Bench:

Dante Cunningham- Dante has been the nicest part of this season thus far. A true stud at Villanova his game didnít translate that well to the NBA. However, that may be because he was never given much of a real shot. Rick Adelman has given him that and it sure has paid off. Bringing his excellent mid range game to Minnesota he has come up clutch many times this season. On this night he only scored six points but managed to come down with six rebounds as well. Rating: C

Josh Howard- I was very pleased with the addition of Josh Howard to the Wolves. Not for his talent but for his almost bad boy attitude. If you donít remember the Josh Howard marijuana debacle I suggest you watch this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Totv8gENEKo
    Well Howard played just 7 minutes in this game almost doing nothing but picked up a block. The Wolves hadnít been getting any blocks in previous years so itís always nice to see any player get a block. Rating: D+

Alexey Shved- Wolves fans had very high hopes for him coming into this season. He has disappointed me a bit so far. But I am nowhere near giving up on him. He has come up clutch in fourth quarters and never gives up on a play. He scored just eight points in 27 minutes but managed to get two steals and only one turnover. Not bad numbers but not great. I look forward to seeing Shved continue to improve this season. Rating: C

J.J. Barea- Barea has been solid all season with the absence of Ricky Rubio. His flashy style of play is always fun to see (if it is being productive). When he is turning it over and not being productive he makes you want him to get released. Two points in 18 minutes should be a season low for J.J. but he facilitated the ball very well racking up six assists and only one turnover (on a flashy pass I believe (May have not been his fault)). Four total rebounds for the little guy is also nice to see. Rating: C+

The rest of the roster did not play:
    Derrick Williams
    Lou Amundson
    Greg Stiemsma

I will review all those guys later as well.
    Feedback is of course appreciated.
    -Jack

vCash
    hey jack.

vCash
    I would take each player's grade down by at least 1 grade. We barely beat the Kings and you are giving out B+ and A grades left to right?

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

vCash
    I think the Kings were playing very well last night. Especially Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins. And when both of them are on they can win some games.

vCash
    The grades all need to drop. We played a gutter team, and barely beat them. I understand Reke turned into Larry Bird, but there was no reason to not beat them by double digits.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Other than Love's and maybe Ridnour's they all need to drop imo.

vCash
    I will take these suggestions into heavy consideration. It is very possible that I overrate the Kings. What I do like from you guys is that you gave me constructive criticism. Not like some other forums that would just say "This sucks". You guys didn't dismantle my post.
    Thanks again!

Look for my review of Williams, Amundson and Stiemsma sometime in the next few hours.

vCash
    I don't get how Cunningham gets a C. He has been the most pleasant surprise this season and has performed well beyond expectations.

vCash
    I mentioned that. These rankings were for the Kings game. They will change every night. One night a guy can receive an F and the next an A+

vCash
    I really like your insight though and i respect the amount of effort you put into those rankings!

vCash
    My report on the DNP's from last night

Derrick Williams- Most would come out and say bust. Not all but most. I say give it time. Former number two overall pick is just 21. Wes Johnson was already 22 or 23 when we drafted him. Williams has not played poorly this season but he has been in Adelman's dog house. He will get more opportunities as the season progresses and I think he will start to realize he needs to step his game up. I'll leave my thoughts on Derrick Williams to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJc0c_ZNzlk

Lou Amundson- People love to laugh at his hair, as do I. I thought he was a joke of a player before coming to Minnesota and I didn't see the point of adding him. Now I see he is a hustle player that will never take a play off and doesn't care if he's in the box score. He just wants to play basketball. So far I have been very pleased by Lou.

Greg Stiemsma- The steamer! Once again I didn't really know what to expect out of him. I saw him play with Boston a few times and nothing stood out to me. He hasn't been getting time recently because he doesn't have much talent at all. He struggles in his offensive game but is able to play defense pretty well. I hope to see him get at least five minutes a game just to see if he can get a block and a basket but that's up to Adelman.

Looking forward to watching this Clippers game tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keegs1023 View Post
    I mentioned that. These rankings were for the Kings game. They will change every night. One night a guy can receive an F and the next an A+
    I guess I should read the whole thing next time huh? Welcome to the forums btw.

vCash
    Thank you!

vCash
    11/28/12 Vs. Los Angeles Clippers

Starting 5:
    PG: Luke Ridnour- Scoring thirteen points isn’t really hard for Luke and that’s exactly what he did in this one. His mid range game thus far this season has been great. He has cut down on his 3’s attempted (only taking one last night). This will definitely be beneficial to his shooting percentage. His four turnovers were something to be a little worried about but Ridnour is a scoring point guard. He managed to rack up seven assists which is the second best number for him on the season. With Rubio out you would like to see him continue to get seven assists a game but that may be asking a bit much. Throughout his career he has averaged 4.9 assists per game which is not a bad number for a scorer but doesn’t stand out. Rating: C

SG: Malcolm Lee- Another solid outing out of the UCLA guard Lee. Putting up ten points once again and five offensive rebounds. To be fair most of those rebounds were on that one possession but he gave it a great hustle. I really hope if Williams can’t turn out then Lee can. I hope to see him continue to improve his game and gain confidence in his shot. Rating: C+

SF: Josh Howard- A very disappointing game for Josh Howard in his first start as a Wolve. Seven points is a bad number for a scorer. He shot a horrid 3-9 from the field and only had three rebounds. The only good part about his game were his two blocks. Let’s hope he can pick things up. Rating: D

PF: Kevin Love- In fairness, Love drew a bad matchup in Blake Griffin. If Love wants to be called elite he will have to put up consistent numbers against the other powers of the league. He shot 3-12 from the field which is terrible. He got to the line 16 times by using his incredible pump-fake. He needs to continue to condition and improve his shot. Don’t look too far into this 19 point 12 rebound performance as I’m sure he will bounce back. Rating: C+

C- Nikola Pekovic- Pek played moderately well tonight posting another double double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Two steals for a big man is nice but you would rather have him turn those into blocks in the paint. He needs to be more than just an interior presence, he needs to scare people to drive on him. Rating: B-

Bench:
    Derrick Williams- In 12 minutes of playing time, DWill scored four points and had five rebounds. Those aren’t terrible numbers and it is just a small sample. Derrick is struggling taking over a game. He was the leader in Arizona and needs to assert himself more into his role. With one block in 12 minutes it’s nice to see him use his athleticism on defense. Rating: C

Dante Cunningham- He played a very similar game to Williams (statistically speaking). Six points in 17 minutes while racking up five rebounds. Dante looks like he lost a little of his groove out there and hopefully he can find it once again. He has been a very key role player to the Wolves the entire season and hopefully he continues to be. Rating: C

Greg Stiemsma- In the eight minutes he played, Stiemsma did not put up a shot. This is not too surprising as he is clearly a defensive minded player. However he did not pick up a block. He managed to assist on one play but also turn the ball over once. Rating: D

Alexey Shved- Shved put together a nice game for himself. Putting up 17 points and making half of his three pointers (3-6). In the 36 minutes he played he did not pick up one assist which is very disappointing. The four turnovers are worrysome as Shved has had his struggles holding onto the ball recently. Rating: B

J.J. Barea- J.J. put up a nice eight points in his 17 minutes. What stands out is how the little man was able to grab six rebounds. He shows good instincts on the glass and really goes for the rebounds. Barea was very careful with the ball last night and ended up with no turnovers. Barea will continue to pick up minutes with Rubio out of the lineup. He hopes to remain to get minutes when Rubio returns. As of now I don’t really see that happening. He needs to pick up his game a bit. Rating: C+

vCash
    Ermm... It's oefarmy's thing to correct people, but I have to notice this "wolve" thing.

Wolves United