Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    So they are literally above average but not "above average" going by your picked at random round numbers. Makes sense.
    Did you really just quote a statement, omit the part where he explains his post, and critique the smallest part to make this post?

Seriously?

This is why you are difficult to argue with.

He explained himself, and you omitted the explanation in your quote.

vCash
    I accept your explanation but the problem lies in our definitions I guess. Fangraphs listed those rules of thumb as reference points for those unfamiliar with wOBA.

He's between average and above average by Fangraphs standards, idk what that makes him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc Wr3aker
    Sabathia and Lester maybe.....that's it. All the good pitchers in that division are on his team.
    Not talking about today, over the years since he's been up. Halladay was still in Toronto, Beckett was still good, etc.

Now in the NLE: The Nats' staff? All praises due. But the clock is ticking on Halladay (36 next yr) and Lee (35 next yr), Santana is finished, and Josh Johnson, Mark B & Sanchez are gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    I accept your explanation but the problem lies in our definitions I guess. Fangraphs listed those rules of thumb as reference points for those unfamiliar with wOBA.

He's between average and above average by Fangraphs standards, idk what that makes him.
    Ya fair enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Did you really just quote a statement, omit the part where he explains his post, and critique the smallest part to make this post?

Seriously?

This is why you are difficult to argue with.

He explained himself, and you omitted the explanation in your quote.
    I already acknowledged that his numbers completely arbitrary numbers (albeit made official by Lord FanGraphs).

I'm difficult to argue with because I will hold you to the facts, which can lead to butthurt (luckily not from him who at least admits that it sounds stupid - which is a half a step away from admitting that picking numbers out of a hat to claim as above average is not how reality works).

The explanation is fine, though the math is still off as far as the reality of run production.

Upton's .333 wOBA in 2011 puts him all of .007 away from being above average by the arbitrary number. League offense actually went down in 2012 so there's probably a new arbitrary baseline, or there should be (or they could just work with the real numbers like a team would have to do).
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-29-2012 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    @mlbbowman
    The Phillies were the first to express interest in B.J. Upton. But their best offer was five years for $55 million. #Braves

From the phillies forum...Holy hell our GM might actually be learning.

vCash
    I really don't believe that report, and being a report we will never know if its truth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    @mlbbowman
    The Phillies were the first to express interest in B.J. Upton. But their best offer was five years for $55 million. #Braves

From the phillies forum...Holy hell our GM might actually be learning.
    Impressive.

And 5/55 for Upton would be a good signing fwiw

vCash
    Ya I think that'd be a good deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I'm difficult to argue with because I will hold you to the facts, which can lead to butthurt
    No, it's because you omit entire arguments to bring up one statement and then argue that statement and go off in a direction the poster wasn't even intending. You can't stay on topic, so you are difficult to argue with.

You don't hold anyone to any facts. You skew them for your favor, and then play victim when someone does the exact same thing to you (for instance, you randomly go back and forth between rWAR and fWAR, sometimes in the exact same comparison and then will slam one metric against the other if another poster uses a different one, remain consistent!). It's annoying and is what makes you difficult to discuss with. I'm not the only person who has had this issue with you.

I'm omitting the rest of your message because I don't give two ***** about everyones definitions of above average. It appears, based on what sfrush said in his first post, it was pretty clear what he meant, but it doesn't matter. The only reason I responded was to point out this one sentence, and that's because I'm tired of seeing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BadnewzNiners View Post
    Idk a couple of the last FA's the braves have picked up have had regressive years. Uggla and melky come to mind
    Neither of those guys were free agents..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Ya I can't believe people are calling this an overpay.

Getting wayyy to stuck on the contract standards of yesteryear. 15 a year for only 5 is a good price for BJ who is only 28 or 29.

People realize crap players are getting close to 10 a year now and have half the talent of BJ. What's to say he is on a complete decline or even better this switch to the NL isn't a great move for him.

This is the price we pay for product now and to think this is an overpay is just going to set your "WTF" meter far to high as we go forward and you start seeing more and more contracts handed out.

What was once is no more with money in this league. It's ever changing and each year we have something that changes the market for good or bad.

Braves are a great org. and have no doubt they made a great move.
    I don't have too much of a problem with it.

Maybe it's a bit of a stretch. But Upton has a lot of skills that can be utilized and fit with what Atlanta wants.

I felt 5/60 was about the max he should get. 5/75 isn't terrible, but it's more than I would have given him. His age really helps the deal though.

vCash
    He used to be my favorite non-Yankee, thought he would be a beast..glad he never really was in his time in the AL East

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    with the Mets resigning Wright for $17mil/yr, BJ getting $15mil/yr looks even worse for the Braves. Thats a joke deal for a guy who hit .240 for 4 straight yrs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    with the Mets resigning Wright for $17mil/yr, BJ getting $15mil/yr looks even worse for the Braves. Thats a joke deal for a guy who hit .240 for 4 straight yrs.
    Comparing one who was a free agent and the other who still is under control

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast