Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OJ Mayo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by King41 View Post
    its easy
    1) he needs to be healthy
    2) need more shots/layups/drives some games he hasn't got the ball in 3-5 mins
    Same could easily be said about Dirk too. There is a majority of games when he doesn't get a shot for 5+ minutes. I'm eager what's next to come when he returns and what this means for our team.

vCash
    he has been playing out of his damn mind. not quite sure why Memphis gave up on him so easily. after 2 very good seasons they nail him to the bench??

vCash
    I don't understand why we don't run offense through our best players more often. Mayo should have the rock a lot more. Over the years Dirk sitting there aimlessly waiting for Terry to pass it to him was also a piss off.

vCash
    Mayo's turnovers is an area he'll work on, he's not perfect. That TO numbers will likely drop when Dirk returns and Mayo will get better looks set up by Dirk drawing a double team or simply creating space so Mayo doesn't have to dribble too often.

In Boston he had those 9 giveaways which are Linsanity level turnovers, but he still dropped 24 points despite being the vocal point of a still solid Celtics defensive team. Rondo and at times Lee were draping Mayo playing denial defense and he still worked to get above his average without really forcing.

vCash
    Mayo hasn't been that careless most games though. It got away from him in Boston sure but on the season he's turned it over less than Wade, Kobe, Harden other 2 guards who run the show.

vCash
    Yeah, as I posted in another thread, I respect a lot the fact he manned up to it and took responsibility. Bad games happen and I can respect a player who notes his flaws.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    From what I've seen from Mayo (chicago fan here) I've liked a lot and yes you guys are right, he will be paid this offseason but I can totally see him signing a long term deal with Dallas for next 4-5 years tbh after this season ends.

vCash
    His turnovers are bad but rest is good. I do wish sometimes he would just try attacking or dribbling right away rather take a 5 seconds or so staring the defense down. This allows defense to set up and the defender to get ready. A lot of offensive players do this tho I dont get it it's just uneeded dramatics

vCash
    In the overall picture I love Mayo, but really would have preferred James Harden had he been available in free agency before the trade to Houston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    OJ Mayo has played like an All Star here, no joke. We would be fighting the Wizards for worst record in the league right now if not for him. Extremely gifted offensive player (not only shooting, but creating for others) and solid defender. He's gonna get PAID next year.
    First, I agree with all of this.

My only knock on Mayo is that he doesn't call for the ball enough. With his skill he could dominate. Because of this he kind of reminds me of a young Michael Finley. Their games are different (kind of) but they remind me of each other. I don't see the killer instinct. In all fairness the same was said about Dirk for years and he developed that killer instinct and won a title. Although Dirk is special though. Mayo definitely needs to start however I think he would be better suited as a 2nd or 3rd option on a team.

vCash
    Maybe Mayo peaked the first 10 games of the season and is starting his decline now?

kiddin but seriously where's he been..besides turning it over

vCash
    I think the people who say he's not assertive enough are on to something. When I was at the game against the Heat...so many times I saw him get the ball, stand there in triple threat for like 5 seconds, then pass. He didn't shoot, he wasn't driving, it's like he was lost or confused or maybe even scared. I don't know, it's really weird. It was not the same Mayo I'd seen earlier this year and it wasn't because he was just bricking. It just seemed like he wasn't doing the things that made him successful earlier on.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThuglifeJ View Post
    Maybe Mayo peaked the first 10 games of the season and is starting his decline now?

kiddin but seriously where's he been..besides turning it over
    Going down with the whole ship too... but the crew, they'll be coming back for sure.

vCash
    Mayo suffers the same lapses that collision makes. They're slow to read defenses on pick and roll situations, and are often getting trapped leading to forced shots or turnovers.

And when mayo is not scoring early, he has a tendency to take bad shots to try and get himself going. Lately, however, it's been backfiring on him and putting the team in a bigger hole. Mayo has a decent offensive arsenal, and if he could learn to mix up his game and play within himself, the team would be that much more dangerous.

Perfect example is Brendan Wright. He's never in a hurry and always plays within the flow of the offense.

Overall though I'm encouraged with Mayo's play. He has the right attitude/makeup to want to improve and he'll only get better once dirk gets back.

vCash
    So Mayo still needs to grow to become a better player? Definitly. I don't know if it's personality, education or talent... but you can see it everywhere within the NBA, Howard and Bynum being the best examples. It's like they are still better college players who could become - or even be right now - so much more than what they are. Not that they are really that worse but just keep in mind what talent they can call their own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast