Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    Do you believe there are PED users already in the HOF ?

Why did baseball not enforce the rules and penalize the cheaters ? Why didn't the writers that vote for the HOF write about the players while they were using ? Didn't baseball promote the HR as they enjoyed huge growth and attendence and TV ratings ? Shouldn't baseball have tested earlier and made harsher penalties if they wanted to clean baseball up ?

It seems to me that baseball and writers want to punish the players now instead of during their playing days when everyone was profiting.
    Bingo.

So many points of evidence that say there's no reason to keep them out for using steroids. The game is riddled with players trying to bend the rules and find an edge, or just outright ignoring the rules. It's as much a part of the history of the game as 9 innings and 3 outs are.

vCash
    Sosa should get in, though I can understand if he doesn't. His peak years were off the ****ing charts.

The whole roid issue is overblown because plenty of HoFers in all sports have done things that could be considered "cheating" to get an edge on their competition.

It will be an absolute travesty for Bonds and Clemens not to get in, considering how they are arguable top-5 all-time at their respective positions, regardless of how they may have attained that status.

Nor does it sway me when I see people with ballots pulling this crap:

https://twitter.com/olyphil/statuses/273876969282736128
    https://twitter.com/olyphil/statuses/273880067254403072

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Sammy will forever be linked to taking steroids, and walking out on his team.

I'm quite sure you're fairly young......
    34. To assume Sammy wasn't a big part of saving baseball is quite silly.

OK Nick, here is what I need you do. Go over there and grab me some water, a towel, and make yourself comfortable while I WRECK THIS ISH.

My name is Mark Sanchez. I am here to save you.

vCash
    He should be in. I'm not expecting it though. I wish the Cubs would acknowledge him at least. He meant a lot to this team. I think his number should be retired. Players of much less stature have gotten more attention than he did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    34. To assume Sammy wasn't a big part of saving baseball is quite silly.
    http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1304981509

End of discussion.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    The Hall of Fame is not just about players numbers. It is also about the integrity of the game. And if Sosa and the others took steroids to better their performance they should not get in. No, cheaters should not be in the hall of fame. I find it ridiculous how many look the other way when it comes to steroids. No, not everyone did it. And those who did and were proven to have done it should not be hall worthy.
    Thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by excillon View Post
    Thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself.
    The fact that enough people disagree about the amount that steroids actually "tarnished" the game says enough about whether steroid users should be allowed into the HOF. They should, because there's absolutely no consensus about it.

If they start making sweeping decisions about steroid users, they should make sweeping decisions about the records achieved by suspected steroid users. Say hello to 61* again.

vCash
    It's about integrity? Then a **** load of them ****ers need to be taken out.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    It's about integrity? Then a **** load of them ****ers need to be taken out.
    I'd start with Ty Cobb. The dirtiest, most racist player this game may have ever seen.

That is, if they were to do it. I wouldn't, personally. But if you go down the "integrity" road, you may as well clean the hall up a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Favorite Sosa memory is him pulling out the American flag on a homer he hit the day after 9/11
    wow. gave me goosebumps

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...&vkey=09112011

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...01516&c_id=mlb
    Last edited by CubsBullsBucs; 11-30-2012 at 04:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrionLannister View Post
    Sosa should get in, though I can understand if he doesn't. His peak years were off the ****ing charts.

The whole roid issue is overblown because plenty of HoFers in all sports have done things that could be considered "cheating" to get an edge on their competition.

It will be an absolute travesty for Bonds and Clemens not to get in, considering how they are arguable top-5 all-time at their respective positions, regardless of how they may have attained that status.

Nor does it sway me when I see people with ballots pulling this crap:

https://twitter.com/olyphil/statuses/273876969282736128
    https://twitter.com/olyphil/statuses/273880067254403072
    B.A. in French from Yale.

That explains a lot.

vCash
    There are tons of players who harmed the integrity of the game. You've brought up Ty Cobb in this thread. Well, what about all of the pitchers, who admit to using spitballs and doctoring up the ball? Is that not cheating? Gaining a competitive advantage? If one guy was using spitballs, can we not assume others were as well? Where does it end?

You can make these same steroid questions go in almost any direction you want.

Flat out, the Hall of Fame has really never used the "integrity" clause prior. Why we've decided to draw the line in the sand of "well he took steroids!" I will never understand.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    There are tons of players who harmed the integrity of the game. You've brought up Ty Cobb in this thread. Well, what about all of the pitchers, who admit to using spitballs and doctoring up the ball? Is that not cheating? Gaining a competitive advantage? If one guy was using spitballs, can we not assume others were as well? Where does it end?

You can make these same steroid questions go in almost any direction you want.

Flat out, the Hall of Fame has really never used the "integrity" clause prior. Why we've decided to draw the line in the sand of "well he took steroids!" I will never understand.
    I could see keeping Sosa out for the corked bat incident, but even that is basically like saying his entire career is a fraud, which we know isn't the case.

Steroids don't make anyone big. They make them able to work out more. The guys roiding up were actually working MORE than the guys who weren't. If you just took steroids and didn't work out, you'd just get fat and angry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    I could see keeping Sosa out for the corked bat incident, but even that is basically like saying his entire career is a fraud, which we know isn't the case.

Steroids don't make anyone big. They make them able to work out more. The guys roiding up were actually working MORE than the guys who weren't. If you just took steroids and didn't work out, you'd just get fat and angry.
    And even on the corked bat idea, unless I've missed some fairly recent article proving corked bats improve hitting immensely, science tends to fall on the side that corking a bat does nothing to improve the distance of the hit. Not that it's really an amazing source or very credible, but I seem to remember a Mythbusters episode where they showed it had little-to-no-impact. It being a TV show aside, I assume they use some science behind their ideas, even if minimal.

At best the science on corked bats is inconclusive. At worst it seems to side on the "it doesn't do anything" side of the argument.

While I'll agree corked bats are MLB illegal, they seem more illegal in the sense of them being illegal "'cause the rule book says so" and less because they actually do anything.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    I love you.

I have no problem admitting that as soon as I clicked these, my eyes began to well up, I felt the goosepimples forming, and starting to choke up a bit.

Sammy was ****ing amazing.

OK Nick, here is what I need you do. Go over there and grab me some water, a towel, and make yourself comfortable while I WRECK THIS ISH.

My name is Mark Sanchez. I am here to save you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast