Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are we better at 2B in 2013?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we are now better.

34 69.39%
  • It is a wash.

13 26.53%
  • No, we are now worse.

2 4.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Start Bonifacio it's close to a wash, start Maicer and it's a pretty clear upgrade. Either way the bench gets a HUGE upgrade over Vizquel, who really had no business being on an active big league roster last year.

vCash
    I say where better, I was so sick of watching KJ strike out over and over and now with Bonifacio and Izturis we might not get the power or OPS. numbers but we will get more speed and more contact, two things that with or line up will be key for a 8-9th hitter.

vCash
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hill :P. Imagine that guy back in our lineup ugh...

Anyway, we upgraded. Keith Law thinks Johnson is done. He totally fell off the grid in terms of production. He was 12th in the league in K's and sported a .678ops

Johnson = Strikeout machine.
    BLUE JAYS CHATS!. #Bluejays on EFnet. 31 active users.

vCash
    I put "wash" because I think a wash is all we can count on with Izturis or Bonifacio posting around their career numbers. Bonifacio has a chance to add some very serious value though if he can reproduce something close to his 2011 batting, and I think he is poised for a big year on the base paths (50+ steals) if he plays full time or close to it. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on his D at 2B as he hasn't even played a total of a half season there in the bigs. With a .350-.360 OBP/.335 wOBA, average D, and excellent baserunning I think he can be a 4 WAR 2B, which is much better than we have had. With a .330 OBP/.290wOBA and below average D he is more of a 1.5 WAR player, or a wash from last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy View Post
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hill :P. Imagine that guy back in our lineup ugh...

Anyway, we upgraded. Keith Law thinks Johnson is done. He totally fell off the grid in terms of production. He was 12th in the league in K's and sported a .678ops

I loved him here, and I truly saw the potential with him. But like real life, sometimes a change in scenery is needed.

He really seemed to enjoy it here, but maybe he was trying too hard. Miss him, a lot!

OK, enough of down memory lane. When you compare Johnson to Macier, its even. When you minus Vizquel and add Boni, major leap with so many options both at bat and on the field.

vCash
    I voted for 'better'.

Bonafacio has been getting better and better with his plate discipline. Combine that with his crazy wheels and we are w-a-y better off this year.

Last guy to really improve his dish patience was Carnation Milk and he did okay.

vCash
    Hill got Murphy'd..... plain and simple. Long stroke, big swing whatever you want to call it.

vCash
    Well.. there's that

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said Wednesday that Maicer Izturis is the favorite to be the team's starting second baseman.
    Anthopoulos views Emilio Bonifacio as more of a super utility player. Izturis, who was signed to a three-year, $9 million deal earlier this month, batted just .256/.320/.315 with two home runs and 20 RBI in 319 plate appearances this past season for the Angels and has always had trouble staying healthy.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy View Post
    I really miss the stability we had at 2B from 2006-2010. Hill was an awesome player for us but he really did need a change of scenary to piece his swing back together. Murhpy's teachings were not helping at all. Although what I don't understand is that Hill flourished under Tenace (who pretty much had the same views as Murphy) back when Cito was around. Oh well...

With how things have worked for us, I'm quite sure a team like Tampa Bay picks him up only for KJ to show us that he's regained his power stroke and ability to hit for a decent average.

vCash
    We get better intangibles: fielding, speed, versatility.

Probably not a big plus with the bat, if anything.

vCash
    The only thing I wanna see from Bonafacio is a high OBP if possible. He put up a .360 in 2011...one can hope he can come close to that again given his speed. If Izturis can replicate 2011 then he's a decent option too. Neither one of these guys are great but I'll take my chances with them over KJ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    The only thing I wanna see from Bonafacio is a high OBP if possible. He put up a .360 in 2011...one can hope he can come close to that again given his speed. If Izturis can replicate 2011 then he's a decent option too. Neither one of these guys are great but I'll take my chances with them over KJ.
    I personally favour Boni as the starter over Izturis for this reason- if he can do what he did in 2011 he can be very valuable. However, even if Izturis gets the starts at 2B, Boni will get plenty of chances to prove himself backing-up around the IF, spot-starting at 2B, pinch-running, and being the 5th OF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JermanJaysFan View Post
    I personally favour Boni as the starter over Izturis for this reason- if he can do what he did in 2011 he can be very valuable. However, even if Izturis gets the starts at 2B, Boni will get plenty of chances to prove himself backing-up around the IF, spot-starting at 2B, pinch-running, and being the 5th OF.
    Given their track records, Izturis definitely has the inside track, pun intended. Bonafacio is definitely gonna start the season as a super utility guy. He plays his best defense in the outfield so I'm still kinda hoping Davis gets moved...pretty please AA?

vCash
    Losing Johnston's 159 stikeouts is like a breath of fresh air for the offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    Losing Johnston's 159 stikeouts is like a breath of fresh air for the offense.
    Couldn't agree more. From June on he absolutely sucked. And whichever of the two replaces him will almost assuredly bat ninth so even if they aren't much of an upgrade it won't be as damaging as KJ whiffing routinely higher up in the order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast