Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holmgren/Newton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KiNgJaMeS315 View Post
    cam was a rookie and still had the best stats ever for a rookie on a trash team... his upside is tremendous.... meanwhile we have Romo makin the same mistakes yr after yr he's uncoachable... he won't get any better we have seen the best of Romo whether we have a great team or not Romo is Romo
    I have been saying the same thing. Romo has earned his reputation of making bad decisions and turn overs at the worst times, over the years. Romo is who and what he is. Some just decide to make excuses and turn a blind eye to Romo's mistakes.

vCash
    I don't believe most people in this forum feel that Romo is the answer at QBor he's a Tom Brady like figure. They simply think he's a better option than Cam Newton. If we talk turnovers and stats, Romo has better stats and rating then Cam.

Romo 2011 stats 31td 10 int 102.5 rating 6 fumbles
    2012 stats 16 15 85.9 5

Newton 2011 stats 21td 17int 84.5 rating 5 fumbles
    2012 11 10 82.9 9

Cam isn't lighting the world on fire to be given his level of praise in this thread. He's young and mobil but that only takes you so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The manster View Post
    I don't believe most people in this forum feel that Romo is the answer at QBor he's a Tom Brady like figure. They simply think he's a better option than Cam Newton. If we talk turnovers and stats, Romo has better stats and rating then Cam.

Romo 2011 stats 31td 10 int 102.5 rating 6 fumbles
    2012 stats 16 15 85.9 5

Newton 2011 stats 21td 17int 84.5 rating 5 fumbles
    2012 11 10 82.9 9

Cam isn't lighting the world on fire to be given his level of praise in this thread. He's young and mobil but that only takes you so far.
    exactly.
    put him behind the pathetic o-line that romo has to deal with and we will see how it goes. i say IR within 2 games. the only reason romo is still alive behind this o-line is because of his ability to escape pressure (something that he is WAY better than cam at)..
    oh, and look what would happen to cam's stats if half of the time the receivers run the wrong route, he gets a horrible snap, he doesn't have any help from his running game (or head coach for that matter) and on a team that has about 10 penalties a game.. as good as cam can be, and as much as i like the guy he is no romo. he wouldn't last 5 games on this team.
    romo isn't the problem, and the day he is gone people will miss him!

vCash
    Cam's line isn't much, if any better. Is ability to run helps out other facets of the game and takes pressure off the line. He doesn't have Murray, Witten, Dez, and Austin. You are also comparing a second year player to a Vet.

You know what you have in Romo, however Cam has a bright future in front of him. Also, this thread is not why I have stated that this forum has a love affair with Romo. Most of this forum does think Romo is the end all be all, greatest ever, answer to al Cowboy problems with tons of excuses for him, an this has been seen in just about every thread where Romo is mentioned, especially when Romo is questioned or criticized.

vCash
    i disagree, and we will never agree and that is okay

but tell me this, why would the panthers ever trade cam for a 32 year old qb and a 3rd round pick? it is not like they are a qb from being a contender. this trade would make no sense for them!

vCash
    baazinakon - I've got several problems with this...most have already been addressed. Not gonna beat a dead horse. Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned though (maybe I missed someone already posting it??)

You were harping on "every coach wants 'their guy' at QB". How is it that you are coming to assume that Newton is "Holmgren's guy"?? Sounds to me like Holmgren is "YOUR Coach" and Newton is "YOUR QB". I could very easily say that Romo is Holmgren's guy. How many times in his career has Romo been compared to Favre - with all the words like "gunslinger"? Maybe Holmgren would want to try to recreate history with his style of offense and a similar style of QB.

I'm not suggesting that that is what Holmgren would want...but be careful not to mix your own preferences with that of a veteran NFL coach who has 174 wins, 3 Conference titles, and 1 Super Bowl win on his resume. None of us really knows what and who he would want on his team and at QB.

vCash
    ...And I'm not a huge Romo supporter. That's mainly bc of what another poster wrote - he's just not a "winner". Good QB with some high average stats. But when it's all on the line...he's just not a winner. Cam was through college at all levels. Too tough to judge at the NFL level just yet given the team around him and the level of competition. I'm not against Cam, just not completely sold either. So my problem with the thread has nothing to do with Romo or Cam or anyone else...but it's the assumption that Romo Cam or anyone else is Holmgren's guy.

vCash
    As far as Panthers trading for Romo, they may want a Vet to head their rebuilding stage and if they got another 2nd or 3rd rounder plus others they may use those draft picks to move up into the first and/or just select a number of players. Romo could also stand in place while they groom a QB if they wanted to select one in the next few years. There are any number of reasons teams trade, some being rather questionable, such as our trade for Roy Williams.

Milt, you have a good point, but I was taking from te report that the GM will be selecting a new coach and basically revamping the whole organization in which case they may want a completely fresh start. This is the only reason I could see the organization parting with Cam anyways. I also, could see Holmgren trying to make the project that is Romo, succeed and thus write another successful chapter in his coaching career.

Unfortunately, as I have said, the owner of the Panthers has apparently stated that the new GM will have to find coaches, staff, and players to play around Cam, so we will not have any chance to get him anyways. As it is, I guess we extend Romo and try to get a QB in the draft in the next few years. This is not necessarily a bad thing as hopefully the new QB will be enjoying a fairly young, but beastly offensive line. I hope.

vCash
    What makes romo "not a winner" a biased opinion that is set in stone, or proven facts? Nobody in here has said romo is the greatest ever. You're making things like that up to help your case. Just because someone, like me, disagrees with you about romo doesn't mean I think he's the best thing to ever happen to the cowboys, you just make him seem far worse than he actually is, because you saw him mess up once, and that forever cemented his legacy in your own mind as a "choker" or "not a winner" or whatever else you call him. And if you're basing it one the fact that he's only won one playoff game, then that opinion needs to apply to the rest of this team. It's fine to have your own opinion about things, but whenever there is factual evidence that disproves what you say about things, and you choose to ignore it you lose credibility.

titties

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auseranami View Post
    What makes romo "not a winner" a biased opinion that is set in stone, or proven facts? Nobody in here has said romo is the greatest ever. You're making things like that up to help your case. Just because someone, like me, disagrees with you about romo doesn't mean I think he's the best thing to ever happen to the cowboys, you just make him seem far worse than he actually is, because you saw him mess up once, and that forever cemented his legacy in your own mind as a "choker" or "not a winner" or whatever else you call him. And if you're basing it one the fact that he's only won one playoff game, then that opinion needs to apply to the rest of this team. It's fine to have your own opinion about things, but whenever there is factual evidence that disproves what you say about things, and you choose to ignore it you lose credibility.
    I actually don't think I ever said he is not a winner, I said we know what he is, and that is a turnover and/or a bad decision waiting to happen, likely at one of the worst times possible. I probably have referred to him as a choker because well, when it is time to step up and be great in an important game, he tends to do just that, choke. I also didn't bring up the fact he's only managed one play-off win, another forum member did, but yea, he hasn't managed to do much with his time as a starting QB with some good to great talent. Blame the OL now, but what about when he had the pro-bowl OL? As the member pointed out, he still threw a lot of INTs. He is what he is. If it makes you happy to keep believing he is something different, someone that can turn things around, start making good decisions, cutting down INTs, and start finding ways to win in important, clutch moments then by all means do. That said, until he does, stop the cheerleading. It is very annoying. Omg Romo he da bestest EVAR!!! He put us down 23 points but he brought us back into the game and almost won!!!what an amazing QB!!! Bestest EVAR!!! Sorry for being juvenile right here but you Romo cheerleaders here sound like this and are very juvenile and derogatory in your posts towards those who don't share your love affair with Romo. The way you and a few others defend Romo, and proclaim his greatness, saying that you all think he is the best ever is not much of an exaggeration.

vCash
    Milt, in looking at the thread I want to say thank you for actually contributing some good questions, a somewhat opposing viewpoint, and as a result a good discussion. This is how I wish more members of this forum acted and responded, as opposed to juvenile insults, blind support of players/coaches, no thought or logic put into posts, etc.

vCash
    I would ****ing DIEEEEEEE if Cam Newton came to Dallas!!! He is one of my favorite players, I would seriously cry. He is way better than Tony.

As for Holmgren, YES! We need a ****ing change NOW. Holmgren could do a lot for the cowboys. What they're doing right now clearly is not ****ing working.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baazinakon View Post
    I actually don't think I ever said he is not a winner, I said we know what he is, and that is a turnover and/or a bad decision waiting to happen, likely at one of the worst times possible. I probably have referred to him as a choker because well, when it is time to step up and be great in an important game, he tends to do just that, choke. I also didn't bring up the fact he's only managed one play-off win, another forum member did, but yea, he hasn't managed to do much with his time as a starting QB with some good to great talent. Blame the OL now, but what about when he had the pro-bowl OL? As the member pointed out, he still threw a lot of INTs. He is what he is. If it makes you happy to keep believing he is something different, someone that can turn things around, start making good decisions, cutting down INTs, and start finding ways to win in important, clutch moments then by all means do. That said, until he does, stop the cheerleading. It is very annoying. Omg Romo he da bestest EVAR!!! He put us down 23 points but he brought us back into the game and almost won!!!what an amazing QB!!! Bestest EVAR!!! Sorry for being juvenile right here but you Romo cheerleaders here sound like this and are very juvenile and derogatory in your posts towards those who don't share your love affair with Romo. The way you and a few others defend Romo, and proclaim his greatness, saying that you all think he is the best ever is not much of an exaggeration.
    The thing is, every qb has made mistakes when the game is on the line. He has made bad decisions that put us in big holes (so has every qb), but he brings us back and gives us a chance to win, that's all you can ask your qb to do is give the team a chance to win. He's never had a 20+ interception season like Eli (twice) Peyton (twice, holds the rookie record for picks with 28) and Brees, and averages less picks than them per season, and yet he needs to cut down on his picks? That bolded part is one giant fallacy.

titties

vCash
    You and your fellow Romo fan boys cheerlead so hard it's not even amusing anymore.

Ok, I will give you that assuming your facts are accurate, but my point was and has been that the INTs come at the worst times. Also, those QBs have all been successful. Romo has not and has had a lot of opportunities to be successful throughout the years. It's not always how many picks but when and the result of the picks (pick six or not). Not including the picks, it is very important when a QB makes good decisions and that when important moments, necessary plays, are needed the QB is clutch enough to complete the pass, make the right decision, change the play due to what he sees in the defense, etc. There is a lot that goes into a QB being successful.

Romo turns the ball over a lot in manners that cost us games. Romo also fails to come up with plays that can win us games, especially big games. He has our inept OC scared to put the ball in his hand (hard to argue). Like I said he is what he is, if you guys want to wave your pom poms for Romo fine, but it would make more sense for you guys to do so after he actually does something. Kind of like fans from the Redskins in years past or Eagles fans this year, you all love to say the team is good and going to do xyz, and all I can think is stfu til you actually do something. I will eat these words gladly if Romo is ever able to come up with a big play, a clutch play in a big game. Gladly.

vCash

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast