Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holmgren/Newton

vCash

Holmgren/Newton

Mike Holmgren regularly told beat reporters in Cleveland he didn't want to coach the Browns during his three-year reign there because he didn't have the desire to return to the sideline.

It appears "The Walrus" has regained his fire.

CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora told "The NFL Today" on Sunday that Holmgren -- after his unsuccessful stint as president of the Browns -- has "serious interest" in coaching the Dallas Cowboys if Jason Garrett is fired.

Sources close to Holmgren told La Canfora he's attracted to the role "given the competitiveness of the roster, the skill players present, and his long relationship with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones."

Holmgren and Jones worked together for a decade-plus on the NFL's Competition Committee, but there's no indication the Cowboys have any interest in the former Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks coach. La Canfora reported that Holmgren is looking for a "perfect scenario," and will retire if it doesn't materialize.

The report is likely to draw the ire of fans in Cleveland, where Holmgren failed to develop a winner and left Pat Shurmur in charge of a team that hasn't won a playoff game since January 1995.

That warming seat in the NFL? Hotter and hotter by the day.
    http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000092674/

As we get closer to the end of the regular season, and the coaching changes that inevitably will come with it, the fact that every coach wants his own quarterback could cause plenty of quarterbacks to be available via free agency or trade.

Itís already a given that the Eagles will part ways with Mike Vick shortly after the Super Bowl, in order to avoid having $3 million of his $15.5 million base salary in 2013 becoming guaranteed.

In Charlotte, as previously mentioned, a new G.M./coaching staff could ponder the possibility of trading Cam Newton (itís not likely, but itís possible). Likewise, the Jets (with or without Rex Ryan as the head coach) could trade or cut Tim Tebow or, possibly but not likely, Mark Sanchez.

In Buffalo, the search is on for a franchise quarterback. Which means that the current quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick, will likely be dumped before he earns another $3 million in March.

The Cardinals could be cleaning house at the quarterback position, with Kevin Kolb and/or John Skelton available. Ditto for the Chiefs, who seem destined to declare defeat with Matt Cassel.

The success of some of the quarterbacks could also put their backups in play, from Matt Flynn in Seattle to Matt Hasselbeck in Tennessee to Matt Moore in Miami, whose contract expires after this year.

And if the Ravens decide to play chicken with Joe Flacco, opting not to use the franchise tag in the hopes that he wonít get a better offer elsewhere, Flacco could be available if someone wants to outbid Baltimore.

Finally, if Jason Campbell does well in his stint as the starter in Chicago, he could find a suitor for a potential starting job on the open market.

So maybe teams wonít have to reach for rookie quarterbacks in the draft. They can reach instead via free agency or trade.
    As we get closer to the end of the regular season, and the coaching changes that inevitably will come with it, the fact that every coach wants his own quarterback could cause plenty of quarterbacks to be available via free agency or trade.

If we could straight trade Romo for Newton or only give up a 3rd or lower draft pick I think it would be a good trade/idea. If we could then beef up our OL in FA and draft with Holmgren as our coach I think we could really turn things around.

I think Romo and the Cowboys could both benefit from Romo's departure. Romo could probably be more successful elsewhere and the Cowboys could have an injection of energy and hope.

vCash
    All of those QBs aren't even half as good as Tony Romo. Make a thread when an Aaron Rodgers or a Tom Brady trade rumor comes up. Until that happens, stop making these stupid threads.

vCash
    I would agree, but Newton would be worth taking a look at, and Matt Flynn is very interesting however is a larger risk than Newton. If Brady or Rogers ever became available it will likely be because they are old and about to retire baring injuring and a Manning-esque situation.

Newton opens the play book and is large enough to not get hurt like Vick/RGIII. Newton would hange the culture and bring a lot of excitement and energy to the offense. Again, if we have a creative OC we could open the play book a lot with a player like Cam. Give Newton Murray, Witten, Dez, and Austin and I think he will do very well. Even with a young (hopefully new) OL the other team will have to change their rush if they have to worry about an escaping Cam and/or run from Murray. Worry about Cam will help Murray which will therefore help Cam throw the ball downfield. Cam also can throw the deep ball to Dez very well too.

Romo could probably benefit from a new team because it will help him get out of the mindset and perception that he is the Cowboys QB that is mistake prone and not capable of winning for Big D. A little less pressure place with a better OL could certainly help him. Romo is a good QB but he is turnover prone, accident waiting to happen and not clutch. Garrett has just recently begun to throw the ball downfield because he lacks trust in Romo. he has taken the ball out of Romo's hands as much as possible since the beginning of the season last year. Romo in Dallas is not good for Romo nor is it good for Dallas anymore.

Holmgren is an obvious upgrade from Garrett although just about anything is.

vCash
    I hope romo leave so people like you will stop complaining about him

titties

vCash
    Holmgren and newton is wut thinkin too prob won't happen would love it though

vCash
    I don't want either one! Just get us some guards that can block!!

vCash
    @Aus...sorry I don't think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread as you do.

Also, I am giving Romo some credit and saying in a different situation he may do better. I don't think it is any argument that Cam presents defenses with problems that Romo does not, especially in the red zone where the Cowboys struggle. I think Cam could inject some new energy and solutions to some of our problems. I know you love Romo and he is a good QB, but I think Cam could be just as good and provide solutions to more of our problems.

Romo is good at escaping sacks and evading pressure, however he can't really take off and gain yards. Cam can, although he's not necessarily as good at escaping sacks and evading pressure.

Pure accuracy and passing ability, I think it is a toss up maybe going to Romo. Cam has the bigger arm.

Our OC can't dial up runs specifically for Romo whereas you can with Cam. This can help significantly in the red zone.

Defenses don't have to worry about Romo running whereas they do with Cam. They have to play and rush accordingly.

Defenses having to be careful rushing to avoid Cam running helps the rushing game which in turn helps the passing game.

Give Cam the weapons Dallas has, with a better OL and I think it is hard to argue that we wouldn't have a viable, young offense. I am not saying that Cam is better than Romo, but I think that he could help our offense in ways that we need and Romo cannot.

You guys can go ahead and say Romo or nothing, you are entitled to your opinions, but I think Cam has skills that Romo doesn't, that could help the Cowboys be a better, more unpredictable offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baazinakon View Post
    @Aus...sorry I don't think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread as you do.

Also, I am giving Romo some credit and saying in a different situation he may do better. I don't think it is any argument that Cam presents defenses with problems that Romo does not, especially in the red zone where the Cowboys struggle. I think Cam could inject some new energy and solutions to some of our problems. I know you love Romo and he is a good QB, but I think Cam could be just as good and provide solutions to more of our problems.

Romo is good at escaping sacks and evading pressure, however he can't really take off and gain yards. Cam can, although he's not necessarily as good at escaping sacks and evading pressure.

Pure accuracy and passing ability, I think it is a toss up maybe going to Romo. Cam has the bigger arm.

Our OC can't dial up runs specifically for Romo whereas you can with Cam. This can help significantly in the red zone.

Defenses don't have to worry about Romo running whereas they do with Cam. They have to play and rush accordingly.

Defenses having to be careful rushing to avoid Cam running helps the rushing game which in turn helps the passing game.

Give Cam the weapons Dallas has, with a better OL and I think it is hard to argue that we wouldn't have a viable, young offense. I am not saying that Cam is better than Romo, but I think that he could help our offense in ways that we need and Romo cannot.

You guys can go ahead and say Romo or nothing, you are entitled to your opinions, but I think Cam has skills that Romo doesn't, that could help the Cowboys be a better, more unpredictable offense.

Our solution is right there. Fix the line! I don't know any QB who could manage with our Oline. IMO if Newton was so unpredictable Carolina would be having more success. I think his personality is more unprecitable than his play at times. He has a way to go but he wouldn't be the solution to our problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by astros1981 View Post
    Our solution is right there. Fix the line! I don't know any QB who could manage with our Oline. IMO if Newton was so unpredictable Carolina would be having more success. I think his personality is more unprecitable than his play at times. He has a way to go but he wouldn't be the solution to our problem.
    I agree the OL is our real solution and I would not say move up in the draft to get a QB until our OL is fixed. I don't want a young QB running around getting sacked and making mistakes because our OL is crappy. There is no benefit to the team if we toss a rookie to the wolves. Our OL is the key to future success.

The thing is that if we can get a capable, dynamic, young QB with tons of upside for very little, such as Romo plus a third or something around that, then we need to make that deal. We would obviously need to address the OL in FA and in the draft as we would if we kept Romo. Cam is a young QB with a ton of upside. He is still figuring out the NFL game and doesn't have the weapons he would here in Dallas. Also, if we build the line we will likely have at least two young players and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one player is playing a new/unfamiliar position. With an OL with the aforementioned makeup a player like Cam who can cause defenses to be more cautious, will certainly help the offense be more productive and alleviate pressure put on the OL. With a good OC Cam could thrive here in Dallas. Revise the OL as we likely will anyways and get rid of Garrett as we should anyways, and I think we have a good setting for Cam to come in, grow, and succeed for years to come.

If we keep build the OL, get rid of Garrett, and keep Romo then we have a good QB that is 32years old. We would still have to find a way to get a new QB in a couple of years and while the offense would certainly be better than it is today, I am not sure it would be as effective as it would be with Cam as QB.

vCash
    With an all pro line Romo would still throw interceptions and find a way to mess it up... we had all pro bowlers r line in 07 and Romo still choked he threw 36tds and 19 picks way too Many picks

vCash
    The only way I'd keep Romo is if we draft a rookie or can't find anyone better... cam is better if he's there i take him and get a better o line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KiNgJaMeS315 View Post
    With an all pro line Romo would still throw interceptions and find a way to mess it up... we had all pro bowlers r line in 07 and Romo still choked he threw 36tds and 19 picks way too Many picks
    Bu bu bu but we're talkin about Romo man, you can't say nothin bad about Romo man. He he he's the greatest EVAR!!! Hur dur lol.

I agree with what you are saying but I tried not to focus on my belief that Romo is a turnover machine and constantly making bad decisions at critical moments in the game, because as you can already see in this thread, the Romo supporters get butt hurt quickly. I don't want them to focus on Romo and defending Romo in this thread.

This thread is more about moving forward and whether or not Cam and Holmgren would make this team better. All things equal, better OL, Holmgren, etc., I think Cam is a better solution now and for the future.

vCash
    This thread epitomizes the reason why I don't post in the Cowboys forum much anymore. Too many stupid Cowboys fans with absurd and ridiculous ideas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    This thread epitomizes the reason why I don't post in the Cowboys forum much anymore. Too many stupid Cowboys fans with absurd and ridiculous ideas.
    Ok so I have logically explained how aquiring Cam is a better option than keeping Romo if we can simply trade Romo plus a third and maybe a some lower picks. Please explain how we are idiots with absurd and ridiculous ideas?

Holmgren wants to coach in Dallas.
    Holmgren is a better coach than Garrett. Can you really disagree?
    Cam may become available via trade.
    Cam is a young, dynamic QB with a ton of upside.
    Romo is good, but is 32 and we know what we are getting. Soon we'll have to find a replacement anyways.

Unless you think Romo is clearly a much better QB and we are ready to make a SB run right now then I don't see the benefit to keeping Romo if a great young QB is available.

Rather than calling people with opposing views stupid, with absurd ideas, please logically state why we are stupid and why our ideas are absurd. Thanks.

vCash
    I would be open to both guys, I just want Romo gone, he is not a winner but he is good enough to get us some wins so we don't get a high draft pick.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast