Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRocks77 View Post
    we could do it a fair way across the board.. say we contract 4 teams leaving 20 left .. a sign each team with a number than go to random.org and select the order that way .. its fair to each team?
    Assuming its random, why not go by record? Let the remaining bad teams get better to spike more competition

and I am shocked no one else brought this up, could the retraction picks be traded? Or have a team trade up ect

vCash
    If we do a contraction draft then the draft order should go by the previous year's records.

That way there's no 'rich get richer' bullcrap and all the rebuilding teams can add a solid piece to their rebuild.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ElFuturoDeESPN View Post
    If we do a contraction draft then the draft order should go by the previous year's records.

That way there's no 'rich get richer' bullcrap and all the rebuilding teams can add a solid piece to their rebuild.
    Yup. And after 24 or 48 hours, instead of an AP, that team should just get skipped for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run,
    #TWTW

vCash
    ultimately IMO contraction is the best solution. it fixes a lot of smaller issues as well... but I'm gonna try and recruit some people first, we are gonna have to have a mid-season check in to see where we stand and what all teams are open.. if we do contract we don't have to do 4 teams, we can start with just 2 . that way we do have some open teams, in case we mind someone who wants to play..
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JDIsMyGod23 View Post
    Yup. And after 24 or 48 hours, instead of an AP, that team should just get skipped for good.
    yes this will be a a must... except if it falls on the Holidays...
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ElFuturoDeESPN View Post

I'm not real sure if I buy the rich get richer because the level of talent will be pretty close to even if you think about it the rich don't get richer ... ever noticed the draft picks after 10?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRocks77 View Post
    yes this will be a a must... except if it falls on the Holidays...
    I think a strict draft policy is definitely needed, not just for a potential expansion draft. It's getting old having to keep such a close eye on it and pick for teams after the 24 hour limit is up. We're both too busy to be around to constantly nudge it along, and absolutely everyone is capable of at least writing up a draft list with a handful of players ahead of time.

I'm not really seeing the rich get richer thing either, but it would depend which teams were contracted. The talent pool to choose from likely won't be significant, and even if we did an NBA lottery style thing like someone else mentioned (was it Po, maybe?) the teams with the lowest records would have the highest chance of getting a better pick. And like it was mentioned...that could take away incentive to tank. Something that has been a proven problem in this league, over and over again.

Whatever we do, I hope to hell it stimulates our trade market. Trades aren't even that worth pursuing when you're rebuilding because with the speed of prospect development and a lack of leverage from a comp spec system, no one offers a significant return on even the top talent. There are exceptions, but not many.

I am not in danger...I AM the danger.

vCash
    Should we talk about comp specs too then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel529 View Post
    I think a strict draft policy is definitely needed, not just for a potential expansion draft. It's getting old having to keep such a close eye on it and pick for teams after the 24 hour limit is up. We're both too busy to be around to constantly nudge it along, and absolutely everyone is capable of at least writing up a draft list with a handful of players ahead of time.

I'm not really seeing the rich get richer thing either, but it would depend which teams were contracted. The talent pool to choose from likely won't be significant, and even if we did an NBA lottery style thing like someone else mentioned (was it Po, maybe?) the teams with the lowest records would have the highest chance of getting a better pick. And like it was mentioned...that could take away incentive to tank. Something that has been a proven problem in this league, over and over again.

Whatever we do, I hope to hell it stimulates our trade market. Trades aren't even that worth pursuing when you're rebuilding because with the speed of prospect development and a lack of leverage from a comp spec system, no one offers a significant return on even the top talent. There are exceptions, but not many.
    Yep. The talent is horrible in this league. I want to trade Larry Walker, but I literally cannot because it's beyond pointless to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run,
    #TWTW

vCash
    A simple idea could be to just take the number of losses a team has and enter their name into an excel sheet that many times. Do the same for each team that does not make the playoffs. Use Random.org and run it and your pick is the first time you come up. So like here I will do it with 5 fictitious teams and records:

Team A: 2-10
    Team B 4-8
    Team C: 5-7
    Team D: 8-4
    Team E: 10-2

Assuming none made the playoffs could do a excel sheet to look like:

Code:
    1	A
    2	A
    3	A
    4	A
    5	A
    6	A
    7	A
    8	A
    9	A
    10	A
    1	B
    2	B
    3	B
    4	B
    5	B
    6	B
    7	B
    8	B
    1	C
    2	C
    3	C
    4	C
    5	C
    6	C
    7	C
    1	D
    2	D
    3	D
    4	D
    1	E
    2	E
    Then enter it into Random.org

6 B
    1 D
    5 B
    1 C
    2 D
    4 A
    4 B
    6 C
    5 A
    3 A
    3 C
    2 A
    8 A
    2 E
    10 A
    3 B
    1 A
    7 B
    3 D
    8 B
    7 A
    1 E
    7 C
    2 C
    4 D
    1 B
    4 C
    2 B
    5 C
    9 A
    6 A

So then the draft would be:

Team B
    Team D
    Team C
    Team A
    Team E

So it worked out the same for C and E, but B moved up one spot, D up two, and A well their tanking didn't work this time.

Again just an idea, not trying to step on toes, it won't necessarily kill tanking, but tanking does not guarantee you anything other than a pick above all playoff teams.

vCash
    I do buy the rich get richer, with a better market an fan base an money to sign FA the only choice is overpay in fa or lose enough for a meaningful pick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JDIsMyGod23 View Post
    Yep. The talent is horrible in this league. I want to trade Larry Walker, but I literally cannot because it's beyond pointless to.
    That's the entire reason why I've never rebuilt and have just spent money in FA instead. That and getting lucky with a boost now and then is the only way I've kept floating all this time. When I had guys like John Hale and Ben Ogilvie on the block when they were still young, most offers were just a big bag of meh. Everyone thinks they're offering you a bundle by giving you two MLB ready players and a pair of first rounders, but if that's in exchange for a superstar you could be getting two guys that will never even play in the majors with those picks. And if they do, they're not likely to make an impact. I've just never felt it was worth it to go in to a full rebuild.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLuver View Post
    Should we talk about comp specs too then?
    We voted on it 2 or 3 times in the past. It took that many times because we couldn't get a definitive vote out of it the first two times. I think one of the votes was tied and the other was separated by only one vote, which everyone agreed wasn't enough to make such a significant change.

I was initially for it because the trade market suffers without it, but changed my mind at some point because I was afraid of the edits eventually ruining the talent level by making it too high with too many star players. Now, I'm honestly wondering if we haven't done the opposite. The ratings have gone up a bit on their own, and we do have superstars but the talent throughout the league is so-so, and besides having a dead trade market few people ever let their stars hit FA while they're still at their peak ratings because there's zero reason to not resign them. Unless you've completely ****ed up your financials, their asking prices are always affordable and without the possibility of a comp spec or a fair return via trade, why would anyone not just keep them? Overall, whether you're using the draft, the trade market, or FA the pool of available talent is usually not good enough to help build a great team.
    Last edited by azazel529; 11-29-2012 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    I think comp specs would absolutely help both the trade and FA market. I don't think it would ruin the talent levels of the league either, because TKO has been relatively stable for like 26 years with them.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with opening up a Poll again for Comp specs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast