Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500

    Contraction Discussion

    Lets use this thread for Pros and Cons of Contraction
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500
    Pros
    levels out the talent of the league
    takes care of GM-less Teams
    the Drafts are are only good for the top 10 Spots (if not the top 5)
    a more competitive league
    possible opens up the trade market?

    Cons

    I can see Free Agents price tag going way up..(make a cap for the amount we can sign players?)
    we would have to move a few teams to the NL.
    losing the Names "Yankees" "Giants" and "Reds"
    will this really fix the problem?
    realignment?
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500
    also what would be the proper way to deal with the players ....turn them all loose in FA pool? draft? how do we draft ? lowest record? random? snake style draft?
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,317
    vCash
    500
    I think the pros outweigh the cons here.
    A contraction draft by record seems best


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,814
    vCash
    1500
    A contraction, expansion-style draft would be best to dispense the remaining talent.

    Honestly this should have happened a while ago before a certain East coast franchise got 7/10 #1 overall picks in a decade.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    I think the pros outweigh the cons here.
    A contraction draft by record seems best
    a problem I can see is how many rounds do we do? we would have to have a firm time limit. in the past with a lot of leagues a draft can hold things up.. you would have to draft before players are eligible to file FA, but what happens if you draft a player a you only have one sim to extend him... what happens if he doesn't sign... is this the risk you take? I'm sure some one will get their Butt hurt over this? .. would it be fair if added one year to the players contract?
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ElFuturoDeESPN View Post
    A contraction, expansion-style draft would be best to dispense the remaining talent.

    Honestly this should have happened a while ago before a certain East coast franchise got 7/10 #1 overall picks in a decade.
    lets not have negative comments, yes we should have been discussing this a few years back.. I was naive to think as the years got closer to current time we wouldn't have this problem.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    36,896
    vCash
    1500
    I like the idea of a contraction draft. At least for one round, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run,
    #TWTW

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,317
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRocks77 View Post
    a problem I can see is how many rounds do we do? we would have to have a firm time limit. in the past with a lot of leagues a draft can hold things up.. you would have to draft before players are eligible to file FA, but what happens if you draft a player a you only have one sim to extend him... what happens if he doesn't sign... is this the risk you take? I'm sure some one will get their Butt hurt over this? .. would it be fair if added one year to the players contract?
    I think adding a year to the contract in that situation is fair.

    If we have 4 teams, we could have 4 rounds. That's 80 picks, averaging 20 players from each team drafted.

    or we could do 60 picks, averaging 15 from each team. Each team getting 3 players.


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JDIsMyGod23 View Post
    I like the idea of a contraction draft. At least for one round, at least.
    yeah one or two rounds would do it..

    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    I think adding a year to the contract in that situation is fair.

    If we have 4 teams, we could have 4 rounds. That's 80 picks, averaging 20 players from each team drafted.

    or we could do 60 picks, averaging 15 from each team. Each team getting 3 players.
    or we could just do it after players file for FA.. looking at a few teams not sure its worth the hassle to give each player one more year, plus this would help FA pool a little, I mean we do go in a few teams and extend key players every year for GM-less teams
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500
    which team goes to the NL? or would we allow a AL team to switch to one of the NL teams and contract the open AL team? ..

    we need to do a mid season GM check in to see exactly what teams are open ... I know the Dodgers hasn't done much.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madisonville, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    17,645
    vCash
    1500
    well I'm off to work... will try to answer you guys comments .... I'm sure azazel will also.... this is something I think we should discuss and not just jump into...
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    17,695
    vCash
    1500
    We only have 24 teams as it is, and I thought the whole point of this league was to stay as close to history as possible. Getting rid of the Yankees would certainly throw that out the window.

    I think we'd be better off leaving it as is and having guys temp GM the open teams. If TKO can support 30 teams we should be able to get 24.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    City of Albuquerque
    Posts
    8,847
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLuver View Post
    We only have 24 teams as it is, and I thought the whole point of this league was to stay as close to history as possible. Getting rid of the Yankees would certainly throw that out the window.

    I think we'd be better off leaving it as is and having guys temp GM the open teams. If TKO can support 30 teams we should be able to get 24.
    If that's the case then why have we had 4-6 open teams the entire time the league has existed?

    I agree with the idea of a draft but not sure how we would do it quickly enough to not hold things up.

    I am not in danger...I AM the danger.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    28,460
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel529 View Post
    If that's the case then why have we had 4-6 open teams the entire time the league has existed?
    This. I mean IDEALLY we would be looking at expansion rather than contraction right? I mean we should be looking into the Rockies and Marlins at this point.

    Unfortunately though that isn't going to happen.

    I would rather have 20 competitive teams. Hell I would rather have 12 teams in the league than have 4-8 GMless teams. Sucks to lose these teams, but its no fun seeing a team win 40 games year in year out either.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •