Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Does GPA matter to employers?

I know it matters in High School to get in college. So once you get into college does it matter much to employers what your GPA is? I know where you go to college and what you major in matters a lot but I dont know how much emphasis is put into GPA when they look at your resume or application. I'm a second year and I currently have 2.5 I know having 3.0 or better is pretty good but I was wondering does it matter much to employers.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I know it matters in High School to get in college. So once you get into college does it matter much to employers what your GPA is? I know where you go to college and what you major in matters a lot but I dont know how much emphasis is put into GPA when they look at your resume or application. I'm a second year and I currently have 2.5 I know having 3.0 or better is pretty good but I was wondering does it matter much to employers.
    It does matter in order to get you an interview with whatever company you're interested in. Once you get the interview though, it's all about how you present yourself and if you come across as somebody that can fit the work culture and get along with others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    It does matter in order to get you an interview with whatever company you're interested in. Once you get the interview though, it's all about how you present yourself and if you come across as somebody that can fit the work culture and get along with others.
    I actually disagree on that second point a little bit. Employers still care about GPA even after an interview. If you're looking at two people who both interviewed well, and one has a 3.7 and the other has a 2.9, who do you think they're going to take?

vCash
    Depends on degree

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I actually disagree on that second point a little bit. Employers still care about GPA even after an interview. If you're looking at two people who both interviewed well, and one has a 3.7 and the other has a 2.9, who do you think they're going to take?
    I think you're definitely right, a large discrepancy like that will be hard for the person with the 2.9 to overcome unless he/she nails the interview. A lot of kids are book smart and post great GPA's, but lack the communication skills when put in an interview situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    I think you're definitely right, a large discrepancy like that will be hard for the person with the 2.9 to overcome unless he/she nails the interview. A lot of kids are book smart and post great GPA's, but lack the communication skills when put in an interview situation.
    Yup, I think that's honestly the #1 thing employers are looking for when they see the high GPA candidates. And if they interview well, the job is theirs. The lower GPA people are just brought in as backup plans in case the high GPA people interview like ****.

Hell, I remember when I was job searching that there was another guy going to all the pre-interview receptions that I was who could barely speak above a whisper. His resume looked good and so did his GPA, but this guy is basically straight up un-hireable, at least for jobs that require you to meet with customers and not just sit in a corner and crunch numbers all day.

vCash

ewing

Yes and no. If you are trying to get a job and you don't have a lot of work experience if your GPA is on your resume and you attach a transcript it will definitely give you a boost. If i finished with a 2.5 i would just put that i graduated on my resume

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    I'm a Junior in college so I'm putting together my resume currently, and I've read from multiple reputable places to not put your GPA on their if it's not a 3.0 or better.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    I have a 3.55 gpa and it will be a 3.7 at the end of the semester if I don't bomb my finals lol.

Anything above a 3.0 is good for hard degrees

Unless you want to go to grad school and get masters and beyond, which requires at least a 3.5 depending on your major, talking about good hard schools though

vCash
    Both jobs I've had after graduating so far (at a private pharmaceutical research company as well as working in a lab for the university of pittsburgh) GPA was never mentioned during the interview nor was it on my resume. I had one job interview where they casually asked how I did in school, and I spit out a rough GPA number. My GPA was great, but I didn't get the job.

But I have no idea what the standard is. I got my first job mainly because I could start right away and I interviewed well, and the second because I had specific experience during my undergrad work that pretty much set me above the rest. Maybe if it was a closer call GPA would have been brought up.

I'd work on getting that GPA up regardless. It can't hurt. It might not hurt you if your GPA does suck, but it's certainly likely that being able to boast about a good one could prove advantageous down the road.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    The one who had the better interview.

Welcome to the #tape

vCash
    depends on what field you're going into. if you're going into a field that's very technical...such as accouting, engineering, or any medical field...GPA makes a big difference.

but if you're going into a field that's a little more abstract...such as management, business, marketing...GPA means less while experience, personality, networking skills, interviewing skills, social skills, and communication skills matter more...all of which cannot be gauged by GPA.

take me for example...i majored in something management related and my GPA was horrendous (i barely graduated) but i'm working for one of the top companies in my field cause i had more experience than most of my graduating peers (i got a job in the field while i was in school and did well in my position), had solid interviewing skills, had a good resume (due to my experience and extensive help for my managers at work and professors at school), a good cover letter (cannot tell you how much i proofread that crap), and networking/social skills (from attending career fairs at school and from a professor at school who introduced me to people she knew).
    Last edited by FOBolous; 11-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.

"Hard" Kobe getting shook by a role player

vCash
    No, GPA hardly matters at all. Maybe in certain jobs, or very rare situations, but in general it doesn't matter. Especially after your first job, it's useless. I'd say where you went to school has more effect, and even that is overblown presently.

I wish I didn't waste 200 grand at Boston University and didn't waste the effort to get a 3.3 GPA. I'm planning on dicking around as I finish up, as long as it stays about 3 I'll be happy (but again, not a big deal if it dips below. C's get degrees. Just my goal).

It's really all about who you know. If you have the connections to get you a good internship, or, even better, a good job, you're golden. After connections, it's all about experience. So do enough to make your resume look pretty. Those two will get you interviews, and that's all you can ask for. GPA is worthless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    depends on what field you're going into. if you're going into a field that's very technical...such as accouting, engineering, or any medical field...GPA makes a big difference.

but if you're going into a field that's a little more abstract...such as management, business, marketing...GPA means less while experience, personality, networking skills, interviewing skills, social skills, and communication skills matter more...all of which cannot be gauged by GPA.
    Even then, GPA is only important to get you into grad school. In grad school, there is some importance on it, but much more weight will be put on experience, be it internships, fellowships, jobs, etc.

vCash
    It only matters for the first time you apply for any job. Once your foot is in door, it's all about what you've done at that job.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast