Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Odd Man Out

vCash

Odd Man Out

What do you guys think will happen When Jennings comes back? It may not affect us this week vs the Vikings becuase im sure he will be on a rep count, but going further. The way our O-line is blocking we cant afford not to have a TE set at mostly all times which makes it hard to believe we can run the 4 WR formation of Jennings,Nelson,Cobb and Jones. Im not syaqing we wont be able to run it im just saying not as often as we should leaving a odd man out. Who do you sit Cobb, or Jones? my no brainer is Sit Jones BUT he is having a awesome year. I think this will be a very hard descion for MM, Going against the Minny d-Line 2wice and the Bears and Lions 2 more Games is going to limit what we can do with our WRs.

In the Good News section:

I think we will be fine. Reason being over the next 3-4 weeks i see us having Woodson,Shields, and Benson back and also getting Matthews back for the Lions game leaving us in a good position to get a hot hand before the playoffs.

ONE game at a time Packer Faithful...Remeber we blew out the Texans on national TV and they havent lost yet, hopefully this game will give them the emotion they need to get the ring.

vCash
    I think jones would be the odd man out like he was before but I could see a rotation between all of them. I also wouldnt count on Benson coming back, last I heard he was still having issues with his foot and wasnt ruling out surgery.
    My Adopter Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    Easy call - Jones is out if Jennings maintains health.

I had similar questions in the secondary concerning the assumed return of Woodson. I wondered if he would be kept at safety and allow Hayward to play slot, etc.

REC:

TDs:

vCash
    Jones wasn't even targeted against the Giants and was targeted only 4 times against the Lions, so he's clearly the odd man out. I don't understand why we went away from him the last few weeks though given how well he has played.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JLynn943 View Post
    Jones wasn't even targeted against the Giants and was targeted only 4 times against the Lions, so he's clearly the odd man out. I don't understand why we went away from him the last few weeks though given how well he has played.
    Its because that's how we attack the cover 2. The two far outside recievers often times turn into basically decoys to try to open up the middle of the field for slot WRs, TEs and RBs. If you really watch the film, Jones and Nelson basically run go routes and stop routes the entire game with the idea of making the safeties split wide and deep, forcing LBs to cover Finley and Cobb. In theory its not a horrible idea, but we haven't executed it all that well yet.

As far as odd man out, Jones probably loses the most reps, but I think everyone loses a couple reps to keep everyone fresh. And I also think we line Cobb up in the backfield more often with a TE and 3 WRs, so that none of the WRs lose reps in that situation.

vCash
    I agree with Crewfan13... Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, finley, and Jones should see most the snaps, 3 wide, finley at TE. The Cobb in the backfield comment is what I hope happens, because thats where I feel we'd be most dangerous, not all game but a solid 10-15 plays back there as a decoy or check down threat, that leaves our 4 wideout beasts all out there, MM failed miserably attacking the cover 2 sending our star wideouts deep, time to try over loading the short game with crossing patterns and as I stated above Cobb in the backfield, the safeties will have to come up and defend when we have success, Cobb doesn't need the ball every play, but threatening the defense with a weapon like that has worked for us when we've done it, even his carries have been excellent, I know we can't pound it with him, but you have to admit nobody has stopped it, so let's use it to threaten the vikes, then the deep stuff comes naturally.

vCash
    easily jones. nothing agaisnt him, but jordy and cobb have been far to productive to take a hit when jennings returns
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I hate to say it but with our OL right now it doesn't matter. We are going to have to start keeping a TE in and only using some 2 reciever sets. This will limit AR immensely.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    I think someone said this before but, I don't believe there will be an odd man out. Jennings will be on a snap count and like MM usually does he will rotate them in and out to keep fresh players on the field

vCash
    I think the thing limiting AR is MM. his play calling is so predictable its almost high school. his necessity to get cobb more touches and sending te's down field to block has just limited rodgers time to get the ball out. I do give credit where it is deserved tho, the giants D has our #... I dont think benson will be back until the playoffs.. and our d'line just isnt letting the lb get in the lanes to stop ANYTHING on 3rd down. we still can't tackle.. and now AP comes to town.. AR can be productive with 2 receiver sets and TIME to throw the ball!! and i will say this too.. rodgers holds the ball too long. too many times..... ok done venting...... hope the Pack gets it BACK!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    easily jones. nothing agaisnt him, but jordy and cobb have been far to productive to take a hit when jennings returns
    i agree with this

vCash

i agree with this
    Jones has been more reliable than Jordy so far this year. I think Jordy's the better receiver, but I disagree with your reasoning.

vCash
    Odd man out is Boykin again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheels11 View Post
    Odd man out is Boykin again
    I didn't even know he was in
    My Adopter Packer: Blow Job Raji