Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mets can sign Dickey, but will first consider trading him or Niese

I keep hearing from people in baseball who say the Mets can lock up R.A. Dickey for the next three years at around $25 million. However, they haven’t pulled the trigger, so I assume this means they’re still listening to offers for trades from other teams.

However, the offers have been underwhelming, according to reports, so I bet they’re leaning toward keeping him. And, I hear the two sides are considering a meeting in Nashville next week, with all key parties present, at which point this could hopefully reach a conclusion, assuming any last minute efforts to trade him fall short.

This is why I still believe Jon Niese is significantly more likely to get traded next week than anyone else on the roster, which is something I’ve been saying for nearly a year. I think they’ll do it if he can deliver a legit, major-league bat, like a Justin Upton or a Wil Myers. However, the Mets won’t move Niese if the offers continue to be weak.

Teams with interest in Niese are also talking with free-agent Zack Grienke and communicating with the Red Sox about Jon Lester and the Rays about James Shields, and probably other young pitchers. It’s an educated guess, but I’d assume the Royals, D-Backs, A’s, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Angels should all have interest in Niese, considering we’ve reports linking them to similar targets.

Basically, I’ve been told Sandy Alderson is essentially playing this like Billy Beane handled Gio Gonzalez last winter, and he’ll only pull the trigger if the market comes to him. He isn’t going to chase it and make a deal just to make a deal… but, moving Niese is clearly an option and something being considered, as it should be. His big problem seems to be the Rays, who are also desperately looking to acquire a similar young bat, but they have more arms to trade.
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-ca...-him-or-niese/

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash

Mets can sign Dickey, but will first consider trading him or Niese

This makes absolute sense to me. See what you can get and if nothing seems good enough, then just keep him.

vCash
    Moving Niese or a Dickey for an outfielder would be counterproductive, if that's the case, the Mets should of just traded Wright and Dickey to do a proper rebuild.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    This makes absolute sense to me. See what you can get and if nothing seems good enough, then just keep him.

vCash
    Yeah. If the package isn't anything blow away, sign him to the extension. Pretty simple. If it's a package of 1-2 top guys, pull the trigger.

www.AroundCiti.com You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

vCash
    Exactly what I have been saying!

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Andy Martino @SurfingTheMets

A deal is not close between Mets and Dickey at the moment. But as team showed with Wright this week, they can get aggressive quickly.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Brian Costa @BrianCostaWSJ

No plans yet for Dickey to meet with Mets in Nashville, but he's willing to if necessary.

vCash
    Ed Coleman just said the Mets are more likely to trade Dickey than sign him.

vCash
    Andy Martino ‏@SurfingTheMets

Spoke with a team insider this afternoon who said same thing I speculated on before. Talks with Dickey "could heat up really soon."

vCash
    Do these reporters have inside info, or are they pulling stuff out of their crack?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Do these reporters have inside info, or are they pulling stuff out of their crack?
    Yes.

vCash
    You think they are smoking crack and extracting information from the rock?
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    You think they are smoking crack and extracting information from the rock?
    Yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Yes.
    Thanks, I thought I was alone in that belief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast