Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    And therein lies the problem. Maybe it's not a good idea to give $140 million to someone who plays like an all star for just half a season.
    Outside of Ike, Wright has had no one hitting behind him for the last 4 years.
    Put a decent team around him and he'd flourish, watch Wright kill it when he's a Phillie or Angel next year.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Outside of Ike, Wright has had no one hitting behind him for the last 4 years.
    Put a decent team around him and he'd flourish, watch Wright kill it when he's a Phillie or Angel next year.
    Lineup protection is a myth.

They have statistical analysis online but I am on my phone.

The only thing that would help Wright in Philly is how well he hits there historically and the bandbox that ballpark is.

He would drive in more runs with Trout at the top of the Angels lineup and Rollins with the Phillies
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    So, they said they would be active in the trade market and not free agency and now they're not expecting to make any trades.

Da **** is this ****?
    Sandy said out of his own mouth that he would make trades.

Sources say we won't.

The problem is sources are putting Dickey in our rotation before the winter meetings and that is a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Lineup protection is a myth.

They have statistical analysis online but I am on my phone.

The only thing that would help Wright in Philly is how well he hits there historically and the bandbox that ballpark is.

He would drive in more runs with Trout at the top of the Angels lineup and Rollins with the Phillies
    Agreed.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Agreed.
    So if I'm in a 3-2 count ahead of Mike Trout, I'm just as likely to see a pitch out of the zone as I would be if I was ahead of Andres Torres?

I'm not disputing, really, I mean so many people have made the claim that lineup protection is a myth and claim to have stats behind it. So I will accept that.

It just seems so counter-intuitive. SO counter-intuitive.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Based on this news, which two FA outfielders would you like the Mets to sign? It seems Hairston isn't coming back

vCash
    Delmon Young, Ryan Ludwick, Nyjer Morgan, Don Kelly, Darnell McDonald, Sizemore? Maybe Ross or Victorino?

Nothing special

vCash

Mets don't expect trades; rotation likely set

Stats don't prove that lineup protection is a myth. That's ridiculous.

You are more likely going to get a pitch to hit with a guy like miggy behind you than a josh thole.

If I'm pitching to wright with miggy on deck, I'm going to pitch to Wright. If a guy like thole is on deck, I'm going to pitch around Wright and try to make him chase.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    Delmon Young, Ryan Ludwick, Nyjer Morgan, Don Kelly, Darnell McDonald, Sizemore? Maybe Ross or Victorino?

Nothing special
    I would take a chance on Sizemore. I know he's had a million injuries but he has talent.

I would probably take a flier on Delmon Young as well. Even if it is just to platoon with Duda.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    I'm hoping when the Mets say:

"The Mets enter the winter meetings under the assumption they will not be wheeling and dealing trade-wise, and that their Opening Day rotation will be the current crop -- R.A. Dickey, Johan Santana, Matt Harvey, Jonathon Niese and Dillon Gee",

that they are telling teams interested in Dickey or Niese that they have to improve their offers.

In making trades you have make (or try to make) the other team believe you are willing to walk away from the trade in you want them to up their offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    Stats don't prove that lineup protection is a myth. That's ridiculous.

You are more likely going to get a pitch to hit with a guy like miggy behind you than a josh thole.

If I'm pitching to wright with miggy on deck, I'm going to pitch to Wright. If a guy like thole is on deck, I'm going to pitch around Wright and try to make him chase.
    All of that's true. But it won't change your overall results. If you pitch around Wright, he will walk. So you aren't hurting his overall production by pitching around him.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...around-batters

The entire point of protecting a batter is to improve his offensive output (wOBA) by forcing the opposing pitcher to pitch to him. And indeed, we saw above that opposing pitchers pitch to protected hitters, something that is evidenced by the fewer walks. However, when the ball is put into play, we see no significant difference between how the two sets of hitters perform. The unprotected hitters have a wOBA of .395 (counting only balls that are hit), compared with .391 for protected hitters. The difference of .004 is not statistically significant. For comparison, the good hitters in the “leading” situation have a “contact” wOBA of .404, which is a somewhat statistically significant deviation from the other values.

In short, protecting a star hitter appears to accomplish very little. He indeed gets fewer walks; however, there is no evidence that he gets more hittable pitches, since the pitcher always avoids pitching to a good hitter when the situation would call for an intentional walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    So if I'm in a 3-2 count ahead of Mike Trout, I'm just as likely to see a pitch out of the zone as I would be if I was ahead of Andres Torres?

I'm not disputing, really, I mean so many people have made the claim that lineup protection is a myth and claim to have stats behind it. So I will accept that.

It just seems so counter-intuitive. SO counter-intuitive.
    If you're David Wright? Probably.

But maybe the difference is that if Wright had a legit hitter behind him, he might be more inclined to take ball 4 as opposed to swinging from the heels at a pitch out of the zone.

I don't know. For years I argued your point. But the numbers have never supported the claims.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    with all the changing of stances on alderson's part perhaps what he's saying isn't for us but for rival execs. aka posturing to get the most he can.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Well protection will change counting stats like RBI. It's just things like batting average and OPS that don't change much. MLB hitters adjust pretty well to how they are pitched. If they don't get pitches to swing at, they'll just draw more walks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    They're happy winning 70 games.
    At least you can say they're consistent on their stance. I have a suggestion for a new name for the franchise....The Queens Mediocres

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast