Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Ricky Report.

And now for some light reading, should you find yourself headed to the Men's Room empty handed.

My Three Pleasant Surprises So Far

Thad: I have a soft spot for 'hustle guys'. And the undersized PF (or is he an oversized SF) is in there battling, despite none of our Bigs ever boxing out anyone. We're getting lots more minutes from him...almost THREE more rebounds per game (a couple at the offensive end)...second-most points on the team... Amazingly he's never in foul trouble and is the best "Big" defending the pick and roll. (Not saying much.) Anyway - he's my most pleasant surprise.

Jrue: Leads the team in points, by a lot, with through-the-roof assists numbers (not easy when there's no low post threat - at all). Getting tons of minutes...nice FG%...even grabbing nearly four boards! (Unfortunately, he actually has a higher turn over number, at 4.3. Hoofa.) Lately he's gotten MUCH better at protecting the ball. He's been fun to watch grow before our eyes...but occasional defensive and mental lapses have him in the #2 spot for me, not #1.

Evan: Yeah, you heard me. Not so much because of his scoring or rebounding (I predicted both basically right on the nose)...but because I expected so little, and so I'm pleasantly surprised at his play this year. Those of you who have "Ohio State On The Brain" must be wildly disappointed, since he's generally been slightly better than average...but from MY perspective, he's been real solid. And the big issue with him has always been lack of consistency, so...he deserves props. I still HATE the pouting, 11-year-old mopey stuff. And his clanking everything inside the arc. And his overrated defense (get the BUTT lower, Evan, not your HEAD!)...but ya know what? He's been in control and starting to just take what's given. Good running the point, too. Overall, pretty good. Almost "quite good".

Worth Mentioning: Thank God for JRich and his energy and leadership and killer instinct. Without that, this team would lack identity for the most part. Kwame. Yeah, he sucks, but I like the fact that DC sticks him in there when we're getting raped at the rim (often). You don't see much of that with him in there. Not much beyond that though, obviously.

Least Pleasant Surprises So Far

Lavoy: Damn it, it pains me to say this. I had such high hopes for him! Still do I guess. Love his strength, attitude, low post defense... But since when did he get the green light to shoot from 19 feet? Why is he not getting his at 12 instead? Where he's money? And what's with this goddamn foul trouble every game? That's a new wrinkle to his already a work-in-progress game. Just had hoped he'd be further along by now.

Hawes: Starting to decide he is what he is, no more. Once every blue moon he'll have some break-out 6 minute stretch...but for the most part? He can't compete down there. Minutes down, points down, FG% down, rebounds WAY down (for my money) when they needed to be UP. I dunno man.... Just not much there to get me excited.

Ivey: It's not that I had big dreams for Royal, I didn't., It's just that he's done SO little, that he's actually does even LESS than I anticipated. I have honestly yet to see him make a single basket. (I know, I know, he's made some; I've just not seen any.) His defense was supposed to be what we got from him...but he's lately been a DNP, so we don't even get THAT. Just a waste of space for my money. Seems like a nice fella.

Worth Mentioning: Wasn't Wayns supposed to have looked great in pre-season? Jesus...he's done less than Ivey. Just didn't make my top three due to experience. And Moultrie needs to start making a case for more than 5 MPG. Our front court is laughable. And he's here to defend and board, period. To earn 5 MPG - under THOSE circumstances? Not good. Come on kid... We need you to become at least as good as Marreese.
    Last edited by RickyPrior; 11-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.

vCash
    Lavoy has been very disappointing this year. If we had one decent, legitimate big man (not including Thad since he's good but not exactly big) our team would have a much needed additional element to our half-court offense and low post defense.

I shudder to think where we'd be without Thad or Jrue.

vCash
    True enough. I mean Lavoy at the 4 and Bynum at the 5? With JRich and Jrue's outside activity...and ET penetrating? Pretty damn good team. And Lavoy would have benefited from that greatly.

But everyone needs to step up now. There ain't no Bynum...and so none of that matters. Lavoy himself needs to become more active, closer...needs to rebound at a MUCH higher rate...and stay the hell out of foul trouble.

vCash
    How is hawes a disappointment? that is unless you had unattainable expectations. sure he isnt great but im glad we have him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    How is hawes a disappointment? that is unless you had unattainable expectations. sure he isnt great but im glad we have him
    My expectations weren't "unattainable". Just higher than he's provided.

He's down in every category since LAST YEAR. Was that so much to expect?

vCash
    I think Hawes is at his best on the floor with the starters or just with Jrue alone with Evan on the bench. When he's not on the floor with Jrue, he just hasn't had the same impact. They play that two man game well together. The biggest problem with our front court is that Thad and Hawes simply should not play too many minutes together. An undersized PF coupled with a C who gets outmuscled isn't a good combo. To me, Hawes should be the 1st player off the bench and a more vital part of the offense from the jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    I've been very pleased that Thad has stepped up his rebounding, that was always a knock on his game holding him back from being a better player. As of late, Jrue has cut down the turnovers so that is good to see. Evan has been playing well, and hopefully he remains consistent.

vCash
    It's pretty clear Thad is a PF. Hasn't played the 3 in years. The man can barely dribble a basketball.

vCash
    My expectations weren't "unattainable". Just higher than he's provided.

He's down in every category since LAST YEAR. Was that so much to expect?
    Down yes down by any amount that matters no his Per 36 minutes stats are within margin of error of last year and he has vastly improved as a shot blocker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptar View Post
    It's pretty clear Thad is a PF. Hasn't played the 3 in years. The man can barely dribble a basketball.
    Not the best dribbler but he sure does seem fine when he gets the ball in transition and dribbles and finishes.

vCash
    Down yes down by any amount that matters no his Per 36 minutes stats are within margin of error of last year and he has vastly improved as a shot blocker
    If its down, it matters.

He was expected to IMPROVE. Not doing so is disappointing.

Hence, his position on my list.

vCash
    Some nice stuff on Thad and Jrue courtesy of LB

Of all qualified players, Jrue's 1.28 Points Per Possession (PPP) in isolation is good enough for best in the league. The best. In. The League. Almost twice as good as Lou's 0.65 PPP. BOSS.
    Defensively is an even bigger joke. Jrue's only gottem challenged in an iso 22 times this season, but his opponents are putting up a putrid 0.41 PPP (on 22.2% shooting) under those circumstances.
    Thad is posting career highs in defensive rebound percentage (17.5% versus his career average of 13.1% is still not excellent, but we'll happily take it next to the alternative) and spot up shooting (46% compared to last year's 42.9%). He's still a cutter to the core, which puts him at a bit of a disadvantage without a major post threat to feed him the ball, but he's still cutting with efficiency, averaging an astonishing 1.45 PPP on the 22 attempts this season.
    http://www.libertyballers.com/2012/1...xers-stats-nba
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    If its down, it matters.

He was expected to IMPROVE. Not doing so is disappointing.

Hence, his position on my list.
    I really dont agree with u on expecting his numbers to improve without Bynum playing but it is what it is i suppose.

vCash
    i think it's also worth mentioning that evan turner is now shooting 10/23 from beyond the arc, which i believe gives him more made 3Ps than he had all of last season.

also, he's got a 2:1 AST:TO ratio, and unlike iguodala, he's got his FT% solidly over 80%.

vCash
    I really dont agree with u on expecting his numbers to improve without Bynum playing but it is what it is i suppose.
    Bynum didn't play LAST year. So why should Hawes REGRESS this year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast