Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

To what extent can a person change themselves?

My dad always told me stuff like, "If you believe you can't do it, and you tell yourself you can't do it, you won't do it."

He was right to an extent because if you close your mind off you won't be able to complete anything.

There's also the familiarity concept. At first you don't like pickles, but as you grow up and pickles every now and then show up in your meals you get a taste for them.

So I'm wondering how far can you go in changing yourself? If you tell yourself you're capable of a change everyday, and expose yourself to it every day does it matter what it is?

Or are there inherent features in your DNA that will never allow you to change certain aspects of yourself.

The End is Coming.

vCash
    people don't change
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    i think people can change...if they have enough willpower.

i was bullied elementary school. then in middle school, i was super shy and timid (no doubt because of the bullying). however, i know this is not who i want to be and not who i really am inside. so i worked to change myself. by 10th grade, i was one of the "cool" kids. and as one of the "cool" kids who knows what it feels like to be bullied, i help out other kids when they were bullied so they don't have to experience what i experienced.

and then i changed more towards the end of high school and in college. despite the fact that i've improved my social life, i was still painfully shy around girls i like and can't seem to get a girlfriend no matter what i do. so i willed myself to change more. i managed to date one of the hottest girl i've ever met for two years when i got into college. and i dated another hot girl (she worked at Hooters ) after her for two years with whom i recently broke up with.

so it's about will power. figure out what's keeping you from being confident about yourself and change THAT. figure out what about yourself can be improved and improve.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 11-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    i don’t think people (can) change。 it’s just that  they discover new things about themselves through  experience。

our genetics determine who we are。

vCash
    Of course people can change. If you say theh cant, you're saying your the same person you were 10 years ago?

vCash
    I took a Psych of Personalities class and there was a lot of evidence/data that shows that people do not or rarely change

vCash
    James Joyce sheds light on this topic, especially  Portrait of the Artist。

vCash
    I do think people can change to some degree, though I believe that their are some things that if not learned at a young age can never be learned, but I also believe people's environments can keep them from changing or from finding their true selves. In sociology, we have been discussing self-fulfilling prophecy and how the expectations of the people around you can determine who you are.

Basically, answering a question like this is tricky because people are such social beings that, depending on who is around you/influencing you, your behavior changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    My dad always told me stuff like, "If you believe you can't do it, and you tell yourself you can't do it, you won't do it."

He was right to an extent because if you close your mind off you won't be able to complete anything.

There's also the familiarity concept. At first you don't like pickles, but as you grow up and pickles every now and then show up in your meals you get a taste for them.

So I'm wondering how far can you go in changing yourself? If you tell yourself you're capable of a change everyday, and expose yourself to it every day does it matter what it is?

Or are there inherent features in your DNA that will never allow you to change certain aspects of yourself.
    I think this thread is code for Ebbs coming out of the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    James Joyce sheds light on this topic, especially  Portrait of the Artist。
    .......stop

Born a Knick Live a Knick Die a Knick
    Knicks-Jets-Yanks-Chris Paul-St.Johns-Duke Fan

vCash
    I think people can change. They just need will power to do so.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash

To what extent can a person change themselves?

People can absolutely change.

I was a HUGE prick in middle school and high school. I bullied anyone and everything. Some of the things I said and did are almost not believable. How I never got the crap kicked out of me, I'll never know.

I was an AWFUL student, too. Constantly suspended, didn't give a damn about school, couldn't control my anger, etc. I had a 1.9 GPA in high school!

Here I am a 24. I took time off after high school, and am about to get my bachelors. I'm an honors student. 3.7 GPA. I don't fight anyone. I'm about as anti bully as possible these days. I try to be extra nice to anyone that I know I bullied back in the day, and I've apologized to so many people for the way I was.

Yeah, people can change.

vCash
    There is no limit on a person's ability to change in terms of personality(other than maybe mental capacities of the brain or physical of the body). If they claim they can't change or that they are who they are then they are simply weak. As a previous poster said it is all will power. I change different aspects of myself by the day, hour, even minute.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    I think it takes a rare person to change who they are. I've never personally met one
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I think it takes a rare person to change who they are. I've never personally met one
    I think that is because there has been a growing sentiment for people to accept who they are and not to criticize people for who they are.

Its not that they can't. It's that they have little incentive too.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast