Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ****ing Bruges
    Posts
    35,287
    vCash
    1500

    To what extent can a person change themselves?

    My dad always told me stuff like, "If you believe you can't do it, and you tell yourself you can't do it, you won't do it."

    He was right to an extent because if you close your mind off you won't be able to complete anything.

    There's also the familiarity concept. At first you don't like pickles, but as you grow up and pickles every now and then show up in your meals you get a taste for them.

    So I'm wondering how far can you go in changing yourself? If you tell yourself you're capable of a change everyday, and expose yourself to it every day does it matter what it is?

    Or are there inherent features in your DNA that will never allow you to change certain aspects of yourself.

    The End is Coming.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    people don't change
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,991
    vCash
    1500
    i think people can change...if they have enough willpower.

    i was bullied elementary school. then in middle school, i was super shy and timid (no doubt because of the bullying). however, i know this is not who i want to be and not who i really am inside. so i worked to change myself. by 10th grade, i was one of the "cool" kids. and as one of the "cool" kids who knows what it feels like to be bullied, i help out other kids when they were bullied so they don't have to experience what i experienced.

    and then i changed more towards the end of high school and in college. despite the fact that i've improved my social life, i was still painfully shy around girls i like and can't seem to get a girlfriend no matter what i do. so i willed myself to change more. i managed to date one of the hottest girl i've ever met for two years when i got into college. and i dated another hot girl (she worked at Hooters ) after her for two years with whom i recently broke up with.

    so it's about will power. figure out what's keeping you from being confident about yourself and change THAT. figure out what about yourself can be improved and improve.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 11-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

    I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

    Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    #TeamSachs
    Posts
    23,924
    vCash
    1500
    i don’t think people (can) change。 it’s just that  they discover new things about themselves through  experience。

    our genetics determine who we are。

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Riverton,il
    Posts
    15,565
    vCash
    1500
    Of course people can change. If you say theh cant, you're saying your the same person you were 10 years ago?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,335
    vCash
    1500
    I took a Psych of Personalities class and there was a lot of evidence/data that shows that people do not or rarely change

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    #TeamSachs
    Posts
    23,924
    vCash
    1500
    James Joyce sheds light on this topic, especially  Portrait of the Artist。

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,680
    vCash
    1500
    I do think people can change to some degree, though I believe that their are some things that if not learned at a young age can never be learned, but I also believe people's environments can keep them from changing or from finding their true selves. In sociology, we have been discussing self-fulfilling prophecy and how the expectations of the people around you can determine who you are.

    Basically, answering a question like this is tricky because people are such social beings that, depending on who is around you/influencing you, your behavior changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    22,474
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    My dad always told me stuff like, "If you believe you can't do it, and you tell yourself you can't do it, you won't do it."

    He was right to an extent because if you close your mind off you won't be able to complete anything.

    There's also the familiarity concept. At first you don't like pickles, but as you grow up and pickles every now and then show up in your meals you get a taste for them.

    So I'm wondering how far can you go in changing yourself? If you tell yourself you're capable of a change everyday, and expose yourself to it every day does it matter what it is?

    Or are there inherent features in your DNA that will never allow you to change certain aspects of yourself.
    I think this thread is code for Ebbs coming out of the closet.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Queens,NYC,NY
    Posts
    4,594
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    James Joyce sheds light on this topic, especially  Portrait of the Artist。
    .......stop

    Born a Knick Live a Knick Die a Knick
    Knicks-Jets-Yanks-Chris Paul-St.Johns-Duke Fan

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,647
    vCash
    1500
    I think people can change. They just need will power to do so.
    Favourite Teams:

    Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    45,536
    vCash
    1500

    To what extent can a person change themselves?

    People can absolutely change.

    I was a HUGE prick in middle school and high school. I bullied anyone and everything. Some of the things I said and did are almost not believable. How I never got the crap kicked out of me, I'll never know.

    I was an AWFUL student, too. Constantly suspended, didn't give a damn about school, couldn't control my anger, etc. I had a 1.9 GPA in high school!

    Here I am a 24. I took time off after high school, and am about to get my bachelors. I'm an honors student. 3.7 GPA. I don't fight anyone. I'm about as anti bully as possible these days. I try to be extra nice to anyone that I know I bullied back in the day, and I've apologized to so many people for the way I was.

    Yeah, people can change.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    22,623
    vCash
    1500
    There is no limit on a person's ability to change in terms of personality(other than maybe mental capacities of the brain or physical of the body). If they claim they can't change or that they are who they are then they are simply weak. As a previous poster said it is all will power. I change different aspects of myself by the day, hour, even minute.

    The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    31,929
    vCash
    1500
    I think it takes a rare person to change who they are. I've never personally met one
    I'm In.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    22,623
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I think it takes a rare person to change who they are. I've never personally met one
    I think that is because there has been a growing sentiment for people to accept who they are and not to criticize people for who they are.


    Its not that they can't. It's that they have little incentive too.

    The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •