Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 263

Thread: SEC Overrated?

  1. #106
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,728
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    You have no concept of what the difference is to go from playing in 30-50 degree weather and dew points in the 20s or lower to playing in mid 70s with dew points in the mid 60s to low 70s, there is no way to describe that difference until you experience yourself. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for 10 years and don't think our dew points ever topped 50 degrees even in mid-summer, no way Oregon ever plays in it.

    Similarly, it would be equally difficult for a team from that warm moist climate to go play a game in November or December in Michigan or Nebraska or Oregon with temps in the mid 30s and rain or snow/sleet mixed in with a wind blowing 10-20 mph.

    There are 10 bowl tie ins for the SEC and all 10 of them are literally home games within SEC states.
    I hate to break this to you, but the NFL plays in different climates all the time. It is called conditioning and adapting. I've yet to hear of a SEC player refusing to go Pro because they would have to play in a cold climate. This is the silliest argument I've ever heard of. Give it a rest already.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    I hate to break this to you, but the NFL plays in different climates all the time. It is called conditioning and adapting. I've yet to hear of a SEC player refusing to go Pro because they would have to play in a cold climate. This is the silliest argument I've ever heard of. Give it a rest already.
    The NFL also has playoffs awards home field advantage to the team with the best record.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,329
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Does anyone in here actually believe this year's A&M wouldn't be in the same or an even better position if they were in the Big Ten, Pac-12 or still in the Big 12?

    Put Sumlin and Manziel on the same field against this year's Buckeyes, Oregon, or K-State with a conference title and BCS bid on the line, regardless of who is the home team. You don't think they could win 2 of those?
    Honestly if Texas A&M were still in the Big 12, I think they would be playing Notre Dame for the National Championship.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    People can say what they want about the SEC, but if the BCS didn't have tie-ins to the bowls, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M, and South Carolina would ALL be in a BCS bowl. It is a crying shame that 4/6th of those teams are going to be left out
    The real tragedy is that one of them will be playing in the Chick fil-A Bowl, albeit against a quality opponent (likely Clemson).

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,351
    vCash
    1500
    1) Is the SEC overrated by the media? Maybe.
    2) Is the SEC overrated by most of its fans? Not most
    3) Is the SEC still stronger than any other conference? Yes
    4) Are there more really good teams in the SEC than in any other conference? Yes
    5) Will non-SEC fans stop claiming the SEC is overrated? No, because they aren't SEC fans and they're praying that their claims eventually are true


    Cameron Jordan is awesome

    12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,351
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    The real tragedy is that one of them will be playing in the Chick fil-A Bowl, albeit against a quality opponent (likely Clemson).
    Most LSU fans would be pretty disappointed with the Chicken Bowl, unless Florida State somehow ended up there. Clemson is a good team, it just doesn't have the same name value that Florida State has, I guess.


    Cameron Jordan is awesome

    12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

  6. #111
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,728
    vCash
    1500
    The latest polls are out and the SEC still has 6 teams in the top 10. Just sayin'

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    23,656
    vCash
    1500
    Only the SEC could produce a game like the Alabama Georgia game on Saturday in the past few years.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,728
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Only the SEC could produce a game like the Alabama Georgia game on Saturday in the past few years.
    Being a Bama fan, that was a scary game. On that final drive, I think Georgia stopped the clock on every play, except the last one of course.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,096
    vCash
    500
    What might the BCS bowls look like without AQ bids or conference rules?

    Alabama vs Notre Dame
    Florida vs Oregon
    Georgia vs Kansas State
    LSU vs Stanford
    Texas A&M vs Oklahoma

    Or SEC vs The World because they have 6 of the top 10 teams in the country. No other conference has ever had more than 3....

  10. #115
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,728
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    What might the BCS bowls look like without AQ bids or conference rules?

    Alabama vs Notre Dame
    Florida vs Oregon
    Georgia vs Kansas State
    LSU vs Stanford
    Texas A&M vs Oklahoma

    Or SEC vs The World because they have 6 of the top 10 teams in the country. No other conference has ever had more than 3....
    I think those would be some great matchups.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    The latest polls are out and the SEC still has 6 teams in the top 10. Just sayin'
    i love everyone using the rnakings in an arguement on whether their is a bias towards the SEC. the fact that there are 6 top ten teams doesnt prove either point there. they could all be that good, or it could b the bais.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ja-Blam
    Posts
    7,508
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    Honestly if Texas A&M were still in the Big 12, I think they would be playing Notre Dame for the National Championship.
    I disagree. While Texas A&M could beat all of Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, and West Virginia they would've lost at least 1 just through the grind. 8/10 Big 12 teams had winning records...

    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Only the SEC could produce a game like the Alabama Georgia game on Saturday in the past few years.
    Agreed. I think for the other conferences their championship games thus far have been failures for the most part.

    The ACC has yet to have Florida State vs Miami, which they basically re-arranged the entire conference to setup

    The Pac-12 championship game had a mediocre UCLA team in the first year get blown out and this year had the exact same matchup as the week before with the same result.

    The Big Ten championship this year was an absolute joke becasue the 2 best teams from one conference (and you could argue the entire leage) were ineligible and thus a non-ranked team is now champion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    i love everyone using the rnakings in an arguement on whether their is a bias towards the SEC. the fact that there are 6 top ten teams doesnt prove either point there. they could all be that good, or it could b the bais.
    While I think there is some bias towards the SEC, there are only 15 teams from BCS conferences with 2 losses or less (one being Lousiville from the Big East no less) and of those 6 are SEC teams. At the very least the SEC should have 6 in the top 14, which is still more than any other conference by triple.

    I mean, if Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and South Carolina are overrated, find a team with 2 losses that played a tougher schedule?
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    While I think there is some bias towards the SEC, there are only 15 teams from BCS conferences with 2 losses or less (one being Lousiville from the Big East no less) and of those 6 are SEC teams. At the very least the SEC should have 6 in the top 14, which is still more than any other conference by triple.

    I mean, if Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and South Carolina are overrated, find a team with 2 losses that played a tougher schedule?
    i get that. my point is if we are talking biases, you cant simply say 6 teams in the top ten. that doesnt say if there is a bias or if they are deserving either way
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ja-Blam
    Posts
    7,508
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    i get that. my point is if we are talking biases, you cant simply say 6 teams in the top ten. that doesnt say if there is a bias or if they are deserving either way
    I agree to that as a general principle since the polls are skewed 100% by peoples biases and the BCS is therefore at least 66% susceptible to said bias.

    But in this actual instance you could actually substitute the wording "6 teams in the top 10" with "6 teams with 2 losses or less, triple any other conference" and eliminate the bias while still proving how good the SEC is overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I agree to that as a general principle since the polls are skewed 100% by peoples biases and the BCS is therefore at least 66% susceptible to said bias.

    But in this actual instance you could actually substitute the wording "6 teams in the top 10" with "6 teams with 2 losses or less, triple any other conference" and eliminate the bias while still proving how good the SEC is overall.
    The reason why they have 6 teams with only 2 losses is because they somehow mostly avoided playing each other even though they are all in the same conference.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •