Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Overrated?

vCash
    Maybe if they score with seconds left to take the lead.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    People repeat the same stupid crap over and over again. One can only assume there is some type of petty jealousy concerning the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    People repeat the same stupid crap over and over again. One can only assume there is some type of petty jealousy concerning the SEC.
    Jealousy? If Notre Dame had 1 loss Florida would have played Alabama for the National Championship, based solely on being from the SEC. If LSU or Georgia would have won their close games with Bama they would have been in. Both slots in the championship game are basically the SEC's to lose these days. I think college football fans are kind of sick of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Will the conference still be "overrated" if they bring in their 8th straight national championship?
    cosidnering that speaks to basically just 3 teams it easily could be
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    Jealousy? If Notre Dame had 1 loss Florida would have played Alabama for the National Championship, based solely on being from the SEC. If LSU or Georgia would have won their close games with Bama they would have been in. Both slots in the championship game are basically the SEC's to lose these days. I think college football fans are kind of sick of it.
    and 1 is a 100% lock every year. its bascially the winner of the SEC vs the over 100+ teams fighting for 1 spot
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Not necessarily. People in this thread were making the argument that FLA with 1 loss should have jumped ND with 0 losses because how good the SEC is. Looking at the bowl games this year and Florida's individual performance, that certainly would fall into the stupid crap category.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    Strange before the Florida/Louisville game all I heard from the pundits is that Florida had the toughest schedule, blah, blah; therefore, they were rated above Oregon and Kansas State, so had ND lost, it would only be logical that the #1 team and #2 team would play each other. That would have been Bama and Florida. Seriously, how many of you had Louisville winning against Florida? If you thought that, you should be rich right now.
    I realize a lot of people didn't like what happened last year when Bama got a rematch against LSU, but those were the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the nation and Bama proved they should have been in the BCS Title game. LSU, not so much.
    When did the SEC start getting this "automatic lock"? It apparently happened sometime after 2004 when Auburn went 13-0 and got left out of the BCS National Championship game. I guess all the pundits felt bad for doing that to Tuberville and his Tigers, so they decided to start giving the SEC preferential treatment to make up for passing over an undefeated SEC team. Does that sound about right?

vCash
    The conference affiliation would have had little to do with it. Florida's 4-1 record against top 12 teams is what would have given them the edge over Notre Dame because we sure as hell didn't pass anyone's eyeball test.

And honestly unless Notre Dame had lost that last game to USC, or at least very late in the season, I don't think it's a guarantee that Florida jumps ND. The computers have favored the Irish almost as much as Florida for most of the season. And at this point at least, ND's best win (regardless of whether or not some people consider it to be an actual win) over Stanford looks better than any one of Florida's impressive victories.

vCash
    There's no thread for the Cotton Bowl. What gives?
    Don't like me?

Go have a seat with the rest of the putas waiting for me to give a flying fk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    i dont care why they lsot it. they lost, and its not the first time this year. LSU is not terribl;e, but theya re not top 10. its not the end of the world. They havebeen easily the most overrated tema in College football this year. bad coaching is what les miles does best, you don;'t get a pass for it
    Whoa! The most overrated team, BY FAR, has been the USC Trojans! KSU is in the running as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    I'd take Mingo over Jones too guess I'm an idiot too.

vCash
    USC has been overrated for years

vCash
    Strange before the Florida/Louisville game all I heard from the pundits is that Florida had the toughest schedule, blah, blah; therefore, they were rated above Oregon and Kansas State, so had ND lost, it would only be logical that the #1 team and #2 team would play each other. That would have been Bama and Florida. Seriously, how many of you had Louisville winning against Florida? If you thought that, you should be rich right now.
    I realize a lot of people didn't like what happened last year when Bama got a rematch against LSU, but those were the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the nation and Bama proved they should have been in the BCS Title game. LSU, not so much.
    When did the SEC start getting this "automatic lock"? It apparently happened sometime after 2004 when Auburn went 13-0 and got left out of the BCS National Championship game. I guess all the pundits felt bad for doing that to Tuberville and his Tigers, so they decided to start giving the SEC preferential treatment to make up for passing over an undefeated SEC team. Does that sound about right?
    I think the reason the SEC is held in such high regard is you basically have had 2 college football dynasties back to back. With Florida having about a 4 year run and then passing the torch to Alabama. I have no problem admitting that the SEC has produced the best single team pretty much each of the last 6 years. The weird thing is somehow the rest of the conference has come along for the ride. LSU has been one of the best programs of the last decade but after them the drop off is pretty large.

I'm not trying to pile on Florida for losing. People wanted an OSU vs Michigan rematch back in 2006 that almost left Florida out which would have been a shame. I just think its dangerous when one conference has the potential to have both slots in the championship game basically by default.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34
    The weird thing is somehow the rest of the conference has come along for the ride. LSU has been one of the best programs of the last decade but after them the drop off is pretty large.
    Strange comment if you know the history. If we accept the argument that the SEC's real rise to power began around a decade ago...

Since 2002, five schools have won the SECCG at least twice: Bama, LSU, UGA, UF, and Auburn.

- All five of those programs have at least two BCS Game wins in that span.

- 10+ win seasons since 2002: UGA 8, Bama 7, LSU 7, UF 4, Auburn 3.

- Bowl wins since 2002: Auburn 8, UGA 8, LSU 7, UF 6, Bama 5.

(And both UGA and Auburn have arguably been "left out" of the national championship game -- UGA in 2002 and 2007, Auburn in 2004.)

South Carolina has never won the SECCG and the program was mediocre for the first 95 or so years but they have won 31 games over the last three seasons under Spurrier, including 2 bowl wins.

Before this dumpster fire of a season in Fayetteville, the Hogs won 29 games in Bobby Petrino's final three seasons there, including two bowl wins. We'll see what they do with Bielema.

Now there's Texas A&M and their Heisman trophy winner we have to deal with.

Vanderbilt is looking much better under James Franklin, finished with 9 wins for the first time since 1915.

Tennessee is the 6th member of the "Big 6" (the six schools that have won the SECCG at least twice since the old commish Roy Kramer created it back in the early 90s). The Vols have nearly every resource any program could want to become a powerhouse again but they kept screwing up hiring the wrong coaches.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-05-2013 at 06:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Strange comment if you know the history. If we accept the argument that the SEC's real rise to power began around a decade ago...

Since 2002, five schools have won the SECCG at least twice: Bama, LSU, UGA, UF, and Auburn.

(And UGA and Auburn have arguably both been "left out" of the national championship game -- UGA in 2002 and 2007, Auburn in 2004.)

South Carolina has never won the SECCG and the program was mediocre for the first 95 or so years but they have won 31 games over the last three seasons under Spurrier, including 2 bowl wins.

Before this dumpster fire of a season in Fayetteville, the Hogs won 29 games in Bobby Petrino's final three seasons there, including two bowl wins. We'll see what they do with Bielema.

Vanderbilt is looking much better under James Franklin, finished with 9 wins for the first time since 1915.

Tennessee is the 6th member of the "Big 6" (the six schools that have won the SECCG at least twice since the old commish Roy Kramer created it back in the early 90s). The Vols have nearly every resource any program could want to become a powerhouse again but they kept screwing up hiring the wrong coaches.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    I'd take Mingo over Jones too guess I'm an idiot too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post

(And both UGA and Auburn have arguably been "left out" of the national championship game -- UGA in 2002 and 2007, Auburn in 2004.)

I understand that comment hits home a little but come on man. Since 2006, the year the SEC began its run of National Titles the only teams to win the championship have been UF, LSU, Bama each twice and Auburn once. Most of those wins have been lopsided with this years game being the closest.

Georgia maybe on the verge of getting into Bama and LSU's class. But until this season they have been on the outside looking in struggling with big time opponents.

Texas A&M looks like they might be a top 5 team going into next season. I was impressed with their defense last night just as much as the offense.

South Carolina has been solid but I think their game against Michigan showed they are no powerhouse.

Teams like Auburn and Tennessee have the resources to be great it will just be a matter of finding a coach like you said.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast