Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Overrated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Sure. That team has a ton of talent. I mean, they might have 3 top 10 draft picks in 2013. I've said over and over how talented that team is. I just don't think it's an indictment on anything. It's one lone team. You can't say definitively that this is a situation where the team really wasn't any better than it has been in recent years and thus the SEC is overrated, nor can you definitively say that this team really got a lot better this year and they would have clearly been the best team in the Big 12 (well, a bowl vs. OK might make that possible to know).

We're going in circles here. If the only argument you have that the SEC is "overrated" is the A&M argument, well, that's about as flimsy as it gets. Find me when you have something that discredits:

• 6 straight National Championships
    • 9-3 in BCS games since 2006
    • 243-45 in non-conference games (up until this season over that 6 year span)
    • a ridiculous superiority in terms of pipe-lining players to the NFL (have lead every conference the last 6 seasons in NFL draftees...40 a year on average)
    • the highest paid coaches are in the SEC (over 75% of the 12 highest paid)
    • The conference cleans up in Bowl Season. In those 6 years, every SEC team, including Mizzou and A&M, have won a bowl game and reached at least two bowls. No other conference can brag about that depth.
    • 5 teams are going to their 5th bowl in as many years.
    • Eight have been to 6 bowls in the last 9 years
    • They've won more bowl games and been to more bowl games than any other conference.
    • They haven't had a losing record in bowl season in over a decade. They do trail the Big East and MWC in bowl win % over that 6 year span, but I think we know why.

36-19 in bowls.

Pac-12 16-12
    Big 12 25-22
    ACC 19-31
    Big 10 17-30

And so on, and so on and so on.

You can complain about their cupcake OOC games during the regular season, but the bowl game evidence is compelling.

All 9 SEC teams are favored in their bowls. We'll see how many upsets there are.

Texas A&M coming in and exceeding expectations doesn't mean anything more than Texas A&M was better than we all thought. Yes, other conferences have talent, talent that can match up with SEC talent, but again, that doesn't make the SEC overrated. Its accolades and success speaks for itself.

A&M having success doesn't nullify those facts. It doesn't make them not the best, because they so very clearly are. Maybe they aren't gods among men, but they definitely wear the big boy pants.
    The SEC has definitely benefited from some cake matchups outside the title game in the BCS since '06.

2006: 4 LSU vs 11 ND
    2007: 5 Georgia vs 10 Hawaii
    2008: 6 Utah beat 4 Alabama
    2009: 5 Florida vs 3 Cincinnati
    2010: 6 OSU beat 8 Arkansas'

It's not the SEC's fault with the way the system is. But it seems like when they are matched up decently the SEC isn't as dominant as it may appear. They also managed to not have to play USC in a BCS game during their entire "dynasty" under Pete Carroll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    The SEC has definitely benefited from some cake matchups outside the title game in the BCS since '06.

It's not the SEC's fault with the way the system is. But it seems like when they are matched up decently the SEC isn't as dominant as it may appear. They also managed to not have to play USC in a BCS game during their entire "dynasty" under Pete Carroll.
    And other conference haven't ever benefited from this?

Of course there are going to be some easy match ups. That's out of their control, and it happens across the board. Look at FSU, Stanford, Florida, etc. this year. It happens across the board.

You're grasping at straws here.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    And other conference haven't ever benefited from this?

Of course there are going to be some easy match ups. That's out of their control, and it happens across the board. Look at FSU, Stanford, Florida, etc. this year. It happens across the board.

You're grasping at straws here.
    Why are you comparing the mighty SEC to the other lowly conferences?

Look probably the most annoying thing IMO about CFB is people bragging about bowl records or vague stats without some context behind it. That's why I pointed out the actual BCS games, they tell a better story. I'm not grasping at straws it just makes me cringe when somebody quotes bowl records which could include the NCG or the Little Caesars bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post

Which of these are cupcake match-ups? Hawaii was a WAC team. I get that one. But that's the only cupcake I see. Utah sent a handful of players to the NFL from that team and Cincinnati was an undefeated conference champion (granted it was the Big East, but I think that means a little more at the moment).

vCash
    florida just lost to louisville, it think thats all the proof you need
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    finally they will lose their undeserved top 10 spot
    Really? Anyone that has watched LSU under Les Miles realizes why LSU lost that game. Miles did it again. LSU was at the end of the quarter and they don't run plays to make Clemson burn their timeouts and/or run the clock out. Strictly bad coaching IMO.

vCash
    florida just lost to louisville, it think thats all the proof you need
    Yep. Florida lost and that makes the SEC overrated. Not. Even Gator fans knew the weakness with Florida this year was their offense, but Louisville certainly made the Gators defense look bad.

I am so sick of this A&M comparison I could puke. First, A&M is lucky to have finished as high as they did in the national polls, or the SEC. A&M got very lucky beating Bama and that was the win that catapulted them into the national spotlight. Poor coaching by Saban. Bama is mainly a ground and pound team and they are 1st and goal, in 4 down terroritory, at the end of the 4th quarter, and they run 2 pass plays. Are you kidding me?
    Strange how noone brings up Missouri. The other Big 12 team that finished 2-6 in the SEC and 5-7 overall.
    The SEC has been the dominate conference in the past few years - 6 National Championships. Are they light years away from everyone else? No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Yep. Florida lost and that makes the SEC overrated. Not. Even Gator fans knew the weakness with Florida this year was their offense, but Louisville certainly made the Gators defense look bad.

I am so sick of this A&M comparison I could puke. First, A&M is lucky to have finished as high as they did in the national polls, or the SEC. A&M got very lucky beating Bama and that was the win that catapulted them into the national spotlight. Poor coaching by Saban. Bama is mainly a ground and pound team and they are 1st and goal, in 4 down terroritory, at the end of the 4th quarter, and they run 2 pass plays. Are you kidding me?
    Strange how noone brings up Missouri. The other Big 12 team that finished 2-6 in the SEC and 5-7 overall.
    The SEC has been the dominate conference in the past few years - 6 National Championships. Are they light years away from everyone else? No.

vCash
    Really? Anyone that has watched LSU under Les Miles realizes why LSU lost that game. Miles did it again. LSU was at the end of the quarter and they don't run plays to make Clemson burn their timeouts and/or run the clock out. Strictly bad coaching IMO.
    It was bad coaching but LSU was physically beat in that game. I think Miles didn't think his OLine could get another couple Yds so he chose to throw the ball for the first to end the game. LSU didn't get a first down in the 4th qtr and only had like 9 for the entire game. When you don't think your team can get 2 Yds rushing the ball in 2 plays you're going to look like an idiot a lot.

vCash
    That Florida loss hurt alot.... If Notre Dame beats Alabama then the SEC mystique will certainly have taken a big hit this bowl season thats for sure.

vCash
    The conference is in danger of its first sub-.500 bowl season since 2002.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/

Time to unite. WE ARE ALL OLE MISS REBELS/BLACK BEARS!

vCash
    i dont care why they lsot it. they lost, and its not the first time this year. LSU is not terribl;e, but theya re not top 10. its not the end of the world. They havebeen easily the most overrated tema in College football this year. bad coaching is what les miles does best, you don;'t get a pass for it

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash

florida, the second best team in the SEC, just lsot to the leader of the worst confernce in football. Cealry that proves the SEC does not have the unbeatable aura most people think they have. the ap between conferences is not nearly as big as people make it, hence the SEC ebing overrated. you can be boith overrated and the best conference

and knock of the A&M was lucky crap. bama went down by three socres at one point, they deserved to lose

vCash
    florida, the second best team in the SEC, just lsot to the leader of the worst confernce in football. Cealry that proves the SEC does not have the unbeatable aura most people think they have. the ap between conferences is not nearly as big as people make it, hence the SEC ebing overrated. you can be boith overrated and the best conference

and knock of the A&M was lucky crap. bama went down by three socres at one point, they deserved to lose
    This is the point I think some people are missing. Nobodies saying the SEC is bad at football, but the idea that 6 teams in their conference could crush anybody else in college football is being extinguished.

Also I feel the myth that SEC athletes are bigger, stronger, faster than the rest of the nation is really being tested this bowl season. Watching LSU get pushed around and Florida basically ***** slapped was pretty shocking to me. I'm not so sure the talent gap is as wide as most people think.

vCash
    Will the conference still be "overrated" if they bring in their 8th straight national championship?
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast