Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Overrated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    And they didn't dominate middle of the pack SEC teams. As a matter of fact, they only beat 2 teams in the SEC that had records over .500 and one team that was a .500 team. Bama was their most notable win.

Thu, Aug 30 at Louisiana Tech Ppd.
    Sat, Sep 8 (24) Florida L 17-20 (11-1)
    Sat, Sep 15 at Southern Methodist W 48-3
    Sat, Sep 22 South Carolina State W 70-14
    Sat, Sep 29 Arkansas W 58-10 (4-8)
    Sat, Oct 6 at Mississippi W 30-27 (6-6)
    Sat, Oct 13 at Louisiana Tech W 59-57
    Sat, Oct 20 (6) LSU L 19-24 (10-2)
    Sat, Oct 27 at Auburn W 63-21 (3-9)
    Sat, Nov 3 at (15) Mississippi State W 38-13 (8-4)
    Sat, Nov 10 at (1) Alabama W 29-24 (12-1)
    Sat, Nov 17 Sam Houston State W 47-28
    Sat, Nov 24 Missouri W 59-29 (5-7)
    The point is that not only did they come in and have immediate success, they showed they absolutely could hang with the best of the SEC. Yeah they lost to Florida and LSU... by a combined 8 points.

The point I'm trying to make about A&M is that people say they were a mediocre in the Big 12 and came into the SEC and are an instant success. The only reason, IMO, they were as successful as they were is because of Manziel. Take Manziel off the team and they lose to Bama, Lousiana Tech, and Mississippi which would make them a 5 loss team. Now put A&M back in the Big 12 for this season and they are possibly the conference title winner, or at the minimum in the #2 slot. What does that say about the Big 12? A&M is #5 in the SEC and would be #1, or 2 in the Big 12.
    I'm not 100% sure about that, but I guess we'll know when they face Oklahoma.

But consider beating other teams isn't all about who has more talent, it's also about scheme and matchups. What was the one team Texas A&M struggled with on D? Louisiana Tech, a more open-spread style. Which just so happens to be what the Big 12 runs a lot of.

Either way, I think the "SEC is the only real football in college" took a big hit when a Freshman QB comes in and wins the Heisman, becoming the first Freshman to do so, with a team playing its first year in the conference, against what is supposed to be the premier Defensive conference in the league.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    So, if I'm getting this right, the argument that the SEC is overrated is because Texas A&M came in and held their own. Got it!

And Johnny Manziel winning the Heisman actually hurts the conference too. Got that as well!

We'll see how the 9 bowl teams do. 7 National Championships in a row too...
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    So, if I'm getting this right, the argument that the SEC is overrated is because Texas A&M came in and held their own. Got it!

And Johnny Manziel winning the Heisman actually hurts the conference too. Got that as well!

We'll see how the 9 bowl teams do. 7 National Championships in a row too...
    The bias is so thick in that sentence it has physical weight. Held their own? Beat the #1 team in the country, barely lost to 2 other SEC superpowers and finished 10-2... yeah, "held their own" is a perfect description for that

Everybody said the same thing when A&M went to the SEC: It'll be a great move but it'll take time for them to field a competitive team.

Did you expect an outsider to come in and have only 2 losses and beat Alabama their first year in the league?

vCash
    [QUOTE=valade16;24712712]The bias is so thick in that sentence it has physical weight. Held their own? Beat the #1 team in the country, barely lost to 2 other SEC superpowers and finished 10-2... yeah, "held their own" is a perfect description for that

Everybody said the same thing when A&M went to the SEC: It'll be a great move but it'll take time for them to field a competitive team.

Did you expect an outsider to come in and have only 2 losses and beat Alabama their first year in the league?[/QUOTE]

Didn't expect them to beat Bama, but the matchup was definitely a concern for me after the Bama/LSU game. Personally, I blame the A&M loss on poor coaching decisions and turnovers. I just think everyone that is harping on how great A&M did in the SEC this year is discrediting the impact Manziel had on that team. Missouri came in from the Big 12 and bombed...big time.

A&M did beat LSU and Florida by a combined 8 points. They also squeaked by Louisana Tech by 2 pts, Mississippi by 3 pts, and Bama (luck) by 5 pts. Had A&M beat LSU, or Florida, they would have been in the SEC Championship game; however, had they not had Manziel they would have been a 5 loss team that noone was talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The bias is so thick in that sentence it has physical weight. Held their own? Beat the #1 team in the country, barely lost to 2 other SEC superpowers and finished 10-2... yeah, "held their own" is a perfect description for that

Did you expect an outsider to come in and have only 2 losses and beat Alabama their first year in the league?
    OK. Texas A&M came into the SEC and was a top 4-6 team in the conference, so therefore the SEC is overrated. Got it!

No. I did not expect A&M to come in and go 10-2. Few did. They were a good team last year, probably better than their record (multople OT losses, 6 games against top 25 teams, etc.) No one knew Manziel would win the Heisman. There were a ton of unknowns. They exceeded expectations, but how is that a knock on the SEC?

It's horrible logic. One team coming into a conference and doing REALLY WELL doesn't mean the conference is weak. Who's to say any other team in the Big XII could have done this? Maybe they go undefeated in the Big XII if they were there this year? Who knows?

But if that's the best argument there is today, well, so be it

I get where the argument comes from, but it's crazy. It's the equivalent of me saying "Missouri went 5-4 in the Big XII last year and 2-6 in the SEC this year. Just goes to show how much better the SEC is".
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Didn't expect them to beat Bama, but the matchup was definitely a concern for me after the Bama/LSU game. Personally, I blame the A&M loss on poor coaching decisions and turnovers. I just think everyone that is harping on how great A&M did in the SEC this year is discrediting the impact Manziel had on that team. Missouri came in from the Big 12 and bombed...big time.

A&M did beat LSU and Florida by a combined 8 points. They also squeaked by Louisana Tech by 2 pts, Mississippi by 3 pts, and Bama (luck) by 5 pts. Had A&M beat LSU, or Florida, they would have been in the SEC Championship game; however, had they not had Manziel they would have been a 5 loss team that noone was talking about.
    I agree, Manziel and Kevin Sumlin (I think that's his name, the coach from Houston) had a big impact on Texas A&M's fortunes. But again, what does it say about the SEC as a whole that essentially 2 guys can turn a middling team into a top level team in the SEC?

To me it says that while the SEC is still the premiere conference in college football, the gap isn't as giant as people are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    OK. Texas A&M came into the SEC and was a top 4-6 team in the conference, so therefore the SEC is overrated. Got it!

No. I did not expect A&M to come in and go 10-2. Few did. They were a good team last year, probably better than their record (multople OT losses, 6 games against top 25 teams, etc.) No one knew Manziel would win the Heisman. There were a ton of unknowns. They exceeded expectations, but how is that a knock on the SEC?

It's horrible logic. One team coming into a conference and doing REALLY WELL doesn't mean the conference is weak. Who's to say any other team in the Big XII could have done this? Maybe they go undefeated in the Big XII if they were there this year? Who knows?

But if that's the best argument there is today, well, so be it

I get where the argument comes from, but it's crazy. It's the equivalent of me saying "Missouri went 5-4 in the Big XII last year and 2-6 in the SEC this year. Just goes to show how much better the SEC is".
    The difference is Missouri was expected to do worse, they were generally considered to have an inferior team to the one the year before, but nobody expected Texas A&M to do this well.

I agree, there are a lot of variables in the A&M saga this year, new coach, Manziel, etc. to make any conclusive remarks, but I still maintain the gap between the SEC and the next best (Big 12 & Pac 12) isn't that big.

The problem is, for the most part, the superpowers from each of those leagues don't play each other very often, so we rarely get to see a direct comparison.

vCash
    It tells me A&M got lucky this season. They have the Heisman QB and they were still awful lucky to be 10-2, instead of 7-5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    the particualr BCS game you go to? i don't think, any BCS game has the same effect outside of the title game. Which BCS game and who younplay doesn't mean that much. Florida should actually be happy they get louisville, because its a team they can absolutly manhandle and took better than if they got in a closer game, since perception is all you really gain from the non-title games. good match ups are for us, not the teams themselves
    Yes, it does matter. Oregon won the Fiesta Bowl in 2001, but our rivals consistently chimed in with, "Win a Rose Bowl, then pop off." Plus, if you beat a strong opponent, it helps you jump-start into the off-season more than beating a hapless Northern Illinois. Playing in games with more prestige and hype helps the school involved. I don't know how you can possibly disagree with this.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Yes, it does matter. Oregon won the Fiesta Bowl in 2001, but our rivals consistently chimed in with, "Win a Rose Bowl, then pop off." Plus, if you beat a strong opponent, it helps you jump-start into the off-season more than beating a hapless Northern Illinois. Playing in games with more prestige and hype helps the school involved. I don't know how you can possibly disagree with this.
    But not if you lose. I think Michigan would have lost to everybody in the BCS field except Virginia Tech last year. It's better for recruiting to win an OT thriller against Va Tech than get your doors blown off by Oregon.

Personally I think the Fiesta Bowl has been a better game to watch than the Rose Bowl over the last decade. But I've always sort of resented the Rose Bowl so maybe it's just me.

vCash
    It tells me A&M got lucky this season. They have the Heisman QB and they were still awful lucky to be 10-2, instead of 7-5.
    Well considering their only 2 losses were by a combined 8 points, I'd say they had about an equal chance of being 12-0 as 7-5...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    But not if you lose. I think Michigan would have lost to everybody in the BCS field except Virginia Tech last year. It's better for recruiting to win an OT thriller against Va Tech than get your doors blown off by Oregon.

Personally I think the Fiesta Bowl has been a better game to watch than the Rose Bowl over the last decade. But I've always sort of resented the Rose Bowl so maybe it's just me.
    That's not the right question to ask. When a team goes to a bowl game they always believe they have a shot, so given the choice, Michigan would have easily chosen the Rose Bowl over last year's BCS game. The Rose Bowl gets significantly more viewers than any other BCS game (not counting the National Title), and Big Ten/Pac-12 fans know that winning a Rose Bowl is much more significant than winning a Fiesta/Sugar/etc. As for why it hasn't been as good, you can thank Pete Carroll for that. His USC teams blew the doors off of every Big Ten team they played. Last year's Rose Bowl was unbelievable though.

vCash
    no way in hell they have won the last 6 championships that say's it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    That's not the right question to ask. When a team goes to a bowl game they always believe they have a shot, so given the choice, Michigan would have easily chosen the Rose Bowl over last year's BCS game. The Rose Bowl gets significantly more viewers than any other BCS game (not counting the National Title), and Big Ten/Pac-12 fans know that winning a Rose Bowl is much more significant than winning a Fiesta/Sugar/etc. As for why it hasn't been as good, you can thank Pete Carroll for that. His USC teams blew the doors off of every Big Ten team they played. Last year's Rose Bowl was unbelievable though.
    Of course no team is going to turn down a BCS game. It is probably 5 times the payout. It's just my opinion but I think it creates more buzz around the program and helps in recruiting more to win the Gator Bowl than to lose (especially big) in a BCS game. But my perspective is slanted because I've watched ND win the Hawaii and Sun Bowl in recent years and do well in recruiting because of it. While their BCS losses in the last decade have just stamped "overrated" on otherwise solid seasons.

USC is a good example of a team that I thought underperformed a few times and was rewarded with an easy Rose Bowl win when they should have been playing for the NC. But I remember SC fans bragging about their BCS record while dogging Oklahoma who had like 3 championship game losses.

vCash
    A&M is a very good football program and I fully expected them to be successful in the SEC. Sure I didnt think it would be this fast, I figured maybe year 2 or 3 but Im not surprised at how good they are. Missouri though, I knew they were going to struggle. They're not a program on the level of A&M or most of the SEC schools. Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M could have came into the SEC and competed right away. Missouri, Texas Tech, Baylor, K-State etc, I highly doubt could have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees12 View Post
    A&M is a very good football program and I fully expected them to be successful in the SEC. Sure I didnt think it would be this fast, I figured maybe year 2 or 3 but Im not surprised at how good they are. Missouri though, I knew they were going to struggle. They're not a program on the level of A&M or most of the SEC schools. Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M could have came into the SEC and competed right away. Missouri, Texas Tech, Baylor, K-State etc, I highly doubt could have.
    Come on man. How can you not be surprised with how A&M has performed in the SEC? They had been a middling Big 12 program for at least a decade, and no one knew that Manziel would be this good. I thought they would be fighting for a bowl game. As for Mizzou versus A&M, Mizzou had been a much better program recently than A&M. Franklin was coming off a good year, but he was injured all season. I definitely thought Missouri would have a better season than A&M, and I think almost everyone thought that.

My points aren't an indictment on the SEC either. Sometimes a program gets tremendously lucky with a QB, and that can reverse fortunes. Look at Cam Newton at Auburn as an example. They were a decent team the year before, but a lucky QB addition changed everything.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast