Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: SEC Overrated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    My only argument against the SEC schedule is that none of those teams you mentioned played all 5 of those other teams. And while Florida played 4 of them it was more due to the fact that their divisional crossover opponents happened to be LSU and A&M. Which won't consistently happen. Next year they play LSU again but have Arkansas instead of A&M. The SEC strength of schedule is pretty consistent with most other top programs. I think it's lame when they schedule FCS schools but that goes for every BCS conference team.
    Okay, let me see if I have this correct. The SEC is overrated because the 5 top teams did not play each other this year? I thought the argument in here was that the SEC is overrated because they play SEC teams.
    Personally, I think SEC teams should schedule more out of conference matchups, then you would probably see what you saw this year, a bunch of SEC teams in the top 10. Frankly, I don't have a problem with SEC teams playing some cupcake games. What, there should be a special set of rules for the SEC? As you mentioned, other conferences do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Okay, let me see if I have this correct. The SEC is overrated because the 5 top teams did not play each other this year? I thought the argument in here was that the SEC is overrated because they play SEC teams.
    Personally, I think SEC teams should schedule more out of conference matchups, then you would probably see what you saw this year, a bunch of SEC teams in the top 10. Frankly, I don't have a problem with SEC teams playing some cupcake games. What, there should be a special set of rules for the SEC? As you mentioned, other conferences do it.
    People constantly say "what do you think their record would be in the SEC?" Then they rattle off the top teams. But when you look at some of the schedules they really aren't that daunting.

vCash
    People constantly say "what do you think their record would be in the SEC?" Then they rattle off the top teams. But when you look at some of the schedules they really aren't that daunting.
    Have you peeped any strength of schedules lately? Who cares if they don't play every elite team in the SEC? That's how it works...and that's not a legit knock.

Sagarin's strength of schedule:

Missouri: 1
    Auburn: 2
    Florida: 4
    A&M: 6
    Kentucky: 8
    Arkansas: 9
    LSU: 15
    Ole Miss: 18
    Alabama: 19
    South Carolina: 23
    Georgia: 27

I think it's pretty daunting.

Oregon was 38.
    Notre Dame was 21.
    KSU was 14
    Stanford was 22
    FSU was 66
    Ohio State was 60
    Oklahoma had it rough, they were 5.
    Clemson 61

You get my point. There are very few teams that had more daunting schedules than the average difficulty of an SEC schedule. Most were Big XII teams.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Have you peeped any strength of schedules lately? Who cares if they don't play every elite team in the SEC? That's how it works...and that's not a legit knock.

Sagarin's strength of schedule:

Missouri: 1
    Auburn: 2
    Florida: 4
    A&M: 6
    Kentucky: 8
    Arkansas: 9
    LSU: 15
    Ole Miss: 18
    Alabama: 19
    South Carolina: 23
    Georgia: 27

I think it's pretty daunting.

Oregon was 38.
    Notre Dame was 21.
    KSU was 14
    Stanford was 22
    FSU was 66
    Ohio State was 60
    Oklahoma had it rough, they were 5.
    Clemson 61

You get my point. There are very few teams that had more daunting schedules than the average difficulty of an SEC schedule. Most were Big XII teams.
    I'll be honest I actually look at Sagarin's rankings all the time but I don't usually look past the top 20 or so. I didn't realize Missouri and Auburn were 1 & 2. Sagarin's SOS are final including bowl games. So for most of the year Alabama and Georgia's SOS wasn't as high (IIRC Georgia was in the 40's after the regular season?). I guess it just sort of annoyed me that people were dogging ND's schedule when those teams weren't much tougher. But I'll admit the average SEC schedule is probably the toughest.

This thread seems kind of worn out. It's not like any of us are going to change our minds much at this point.....

vCash
    This thread seems kind of worn out. It's not like any of us are going to change our minds much at this point.....
    I think that's pretty obvious.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    I'll be honest I actually look at Sagarin's rankings all the time but I don't usually look past the top 20 or so. I didn't realize Missouri and Auburn were 1 & 2. Sagarin's SOS are final including bowl games. So for most of the year Alabama and Georgia's SOS wasn't as high (IIRC Georgia was in the 40's after the regular season?). I guess it just sort of annoyed me that people were dogging ND's schedule when those teams weren't much tougher. But I'll admit the average SEC schedule is probably the toughest.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I think that's pretty obvious.
    This thread probably didn't get anyone to change their stance

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    To be fair 99% of the people saying the SEC isn't overrated are in SEC country or root for SEC teams. 99% saying they are overrated aren't. I think there is some homerism at play here, and it goes both ways...
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    To be fair 99% of the people saying the SEC isn't overrated are in SEC country or root for SEC teams. 99% saying they are overrated aren't. I think there is some homerism at play here, and it goes both ways...
    pretty much the truth

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718